BREXIT

Ernie

As far as I can see, there is no hostility towards any of the member countries or their inhabitants in this forum and little if any within the country at large. Although before most of our times, I think two world wars showed the futility of related and close neighbours within western Europe fighting each other and mutual rebuilding has allowed us to "grow up". Protests are about the centralisation of government and lack of opportunity to align policies with national identities.

In terms of trading together, there seems little reason why reasonable negotiation shouldn't produce mutually beneficial agreements with the EU and beyond. What has rankled many people is the way a group of countries getting together as a trade bloc, which seemed to be a good idea to my perhaps naive mind, has mutated into a federal state. It was years later that I realised how badly it affected our Commonwealth relations and trading partners when we went into (and voted to remain in) the Common Market.

I tried to open my mind to the debates but nothing I heard convinced me to alter my original opinion although I winced at the tactics and arguments presented by both sides. The one thing we can always rely on is our politicians descending into tactics of fear and speculation rather than presenting balanced arguments for and against - surely these "experts" couldn't all have been totally polarised and could have given us both sides of the argument to consider? To me, their arguments could then have carried some credibility...

Advert

Posted by Justin K. on 25/06/2016 13:44:09:

As an aside our past time seems to have taken a few hits from EU legislation over the years, i wonder if we will be able to claw any of these back ?

Can you give some examples of those 'hits' Justin? Maybe my memory isn't as good as it used to be but I don't recall anything significant - but I'm very happy to be corrected, this is a genuine question!

OTOH, wasn't 35MHz a European standard - even if France was (and still is) a bit late in applying it? And were not standards for model control on 2.4GHz aligned across Europe (and most of the world) after a few European countries had some rather differing regulations on it in the very early days?

Posted by Percy Verance on 25/06/2016 14:50:22:

I once worked with a bloke who'd been reduced to an anti-depressant swallowing wreck over what he'd been reading on social media....... not good.

Have you ever thought what it must be like for the mods here, Perce?....teeth 2

Pete

Let's not get tetchy because some of us have been rained off and can't fly wink we don't want the mods to step in

Its too late to argue......Just accept the result of the referendum.

Good and bad has come out of the Common Market, sorry European community Oh I remember now... it's the European Union.

Finally; Didn't we vote to join a Common Market and not sign all our powers over to the European superstate?

Democracy has spoken

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 25/06/2016 13:13:22:

Let's all stay very calm chaps - the sun is shining here and I'm going out flying. I fully expect to come back later and find that you have all been very nice, supportive and understanding to each other wink 2.

Failing that - well I see Pete is on-line and he has an even shorter fuse than me!

I've got a good idea! Why don't you all stop worrying about it and go flying too? Its a bit breezy but the lift still works EU or no EU - honest!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 25/06/2016 13:13:42

Thunderstorms and heavy rain commensurate with the coming depression here, so no chance of flying.

Posted by John Privett on 25/06/2016 14:33:58:

As an aside our past time seems to have taken a few hits from EU legislation over the years, i wonder if we will be able to claw any of these back ?

Can you give some examples of those 'hits' Justin? Maybe my memory isn't as good as it used to be but I don't recall anything significant - but I'm very happy to be corrected, this is a genuine question!

OTOH, wasn't 35MHz a European standard - even if France was (and still is) a bit late in applying it? And were not standards for model control on 2.4GHz aligned across Europe (and most of the world) after a few European countries had some rather differing regulations on it in the very early days?

The recent RX talk first issue for one John ? I've been advised not to put the current updates onto my Futaba 14 sg as they may affect third party receivers ,  that was due to the EU ? I could be wrong tho  

Edited By Justin K. on 25/06/2016 15:05:40

Frankly life's full of chances. I might get run over tomorrow, I might live to 100.

Staying in the EU is a gamble, but one largely outside our control. Coming out of the EU is a gamble, but one, if our politicians and civil servants do their job well, could bring long term rewards for all of us... providing we don't get run over tomorrow.

Posted by Martyn Johnston on 25/06/2016 15:00:43:

£120 billion was wiped off the value of British companies today.

That's £7,500 for each of the 16 million people who voted to leave !

I wouldn't be too concerned as simular happened when we wouldn't allow ourselves to be steam rollered into the Euro back in 2003 when all the pro European predicted financial armageden for the UK

Turned out to be the exact oposite and keeping the £ was our saviour where our economy grew while the rest of the Euro zone went into stagnation.

Posted by Justin K. on 25/06/2016 15:01:33:
Posted by John Privett on 25/06/2016 14:33:58:

The recent RX talk first issue for one John ? I've been advised not to put the current updates onto my Futaba 14 sg as they may affect third party receivers , that was due to the EU ? I could be wrong tho

Edited By Justin K. on 25/06/2016 15:05:40

It was the industry with UK input that helped write those standards (if there wasn't any there would be nothing to stop devices interfering with each other), the fact a certain Chinese manufacturer didn't take heed of some standards which had been published some 18 months before they were implemented isn't really the EUs fault. Futaba Rxs were unaffected and Chinese manufacturer did update their firmware so Rxs are compatible with both standards.

Posted by Percy Verance on 25/06/2016 15:34:20:

Pretty much the same doom and gloom was predicted when we pulled out of the ERM. That turned out much better than predicted......

The markets will steady once it's realized there isn't eternal hell fire and damnation.

Ah the famous ERM and the infamous Black Wednesday.

Wasn't it the same bleeding heart finacial markets that bankrupted this country by speculating playing Russian roulette on the pound pushing up intrest rates by the minute to 16% and beyond forcing the pro European chancelor to prop up the pound resulting in vertually bankrupting the UK leaving him no option but to pull out of the ERM. Aka Black Wednesday.

Edited By Owdlad on 25/06/2016 16:03:33

Posted by Martyn Johnston on 25/06/2016 15:00:43:

£120 billion was wiped off the value of British companies today.

That's £7,500 for each of the 16 million people who voted to leave !

Oh, the greed of the markets and Christmas bonuses, it will all be back on by then.

This will give some idea of the ups and downs of the FTSE

Is it only me that finds it strange that after the referendum we aren't going to the next stage for 3 months, although proposed by the remain camp it's been backed by the Leave camp. Has nobody got a plan or was it win and then make it up (or make it up and then win wink)

The change in the value of the Euro has already moved France up the table of worlds economies, so we are now 6th, anymore and we'll be out of the G7.

Apparently there aren't currently enough sufficiently experienced British diplomats and negotiators to get going at the moment , Radio says around a dozen and hundreds are needed .

Our trade deals have been dealt with by EU for 40+ years , maybe a solution would be to bring in some consultants from counties used to doing trade deals

To William who said "as a Canadian, I can tell you it is always better to be a part of a greater whole"

Why don't you get Canada to be one of the United States? It makes more sense than Britain being part of the EU. because Canada has a very long land border with USA. I can tell you the reason why Canadians don't seem to want to join USA - it's the same reason we in Britain dont want to be further integrated into EU. It's because like us Canadians want to control their own country and let their parliament make their own laws without interference from others with different ideas.

[Post edited]

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 25/06/2016 18:58:52

Here in Belfast we've got a strange situation. By treaty we have all got dual nationality so, although England and Wales have pushed us into the 'leave' situation, I'm still an EU citizen (despite living in the bit that is going to be yanked out even though, like the Scots, we voted to stay in).

I do believe that the Irish Embassy is being swamped with applications for Irish passports under the 'grandfather' legislation (thanks to Jack Charlton).

One strange thing though - the 'leave' people all seem to be invoking the 'Churchill Spirit' and missing this completely

"Yet all the while there is a remedy which, if it were generally and spontaneously adopted, would as if by a miracle transform the whole scene, and would in a few years make all Europe, or the greater part of it, as free and as happy as Switzerland is today.

What is this sovereign remedy?

It is to re-create the European Family, or as much of it as we can, and provide it with a structure under which it can dwell in peace, in safety and in freedom.

We must build a kind of United States of Europe."

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 25/06/2016 18:38:10