How far are you prepared to travel to go flying?

ChrisB

With long established flying sites and clubs decreasing I wonder.
How far do people travel to go flying and
how far are people prepared to travel to go flying for a normal flying session?

I currently travel 10miles each way (20mins) and for the right site I'm prepared to travel 25-30 miles and (45-60mins)

What about you?

Went to Germany once...but difficult to say as I'm quite happy travelling 5 miles at the moment. If I couldn't fly there, I'd have to go further afield but maybe the regularity would suffer - it's close enough at the moment to pop up for a quick fix or a chat at least twice a week and more when the weather's good.

My Sunday flying site is a 95 mile round trip, just under an hour each way and a very easy journey, tend to spend a whole day there 1000-1700 but only if the weather's good. - local club site that I use during the week is a 16 mile round trip about 15 mins each way.

Posted by Steve Balaam on 23/08/2016 15:19:25:

I live in Northern Ireland 48 miles from my main flying club. It takes me one and a half hours which includes a short

ferry ride across a short stretch of water. Each session costs me about £10 in travelling costs alone

Steve B

would UMAC at nutts corner be any closer to you? its a very nice club

To our power field (CMFC) about 9 miles and half an hour each way.

Just a few times a year my pilgrimage to Pole Cott on the Long Mynd for a few hours slope soaring, a good hour and near enough 35 miles each way. Not so bad really except that's gallon and a half of diesel gone forever.

About two and a half miles for power flying at the club - say ten minutes each way.

Nearest slope is just under 6 miles away going there, but just over 5 miles coming back! (I have to pass the entrance to the road it's on and double-back at the roundabout!) So 10 to 12 minutes to get there.

I very rarely travel any further afield to fly power models, though I'll travel a bit further afield for a slope when the wind dictates it.

Posted by Percy Verance on 23/08/2016 21:42:43:

About 7 miles for me, although my club is looking into the possibility of gaining the use of another field for electric flying only. This one is literally about a mile and a half from my village, hence the electric only stipulation.

You're a nimby then?cheeky

Edited By Martin Harris on 23/08/2016 22:19:06

I'm not prepared to travel any distance to fly my planes. I'm only prepared to fly them either in my back garden (40ft x 12 ft ) or right from my front door. smile p

Unfortunately, I have just two choices. One means driving 12 miles to the club site at Little Haldon.

And the other choice involves travelling about 5 feet vertically off the edge of the car park at work, then I can walk a few feet and launch a plane across the fields of the Creedy Valley. If the wind is in the right direction or it's very light to calm.

For power flying I am fortunate enough to have 3 clubs within 15 minutes travelling time. I'm a member of two of them so I have good choices there.

For sloping I have to travel, Mid Cheshire is pretty flat but Bosley Cloud isn't too far away at 30 mins each way, the further LMMGA sites being up to twice as far.

Occasionally I'm happy to travel greater distances, the Gt Orme for example is 1.5 hours away on a good day, on a bad day ity's impossible (in fact I had to turn back just the other weekend, 2.5 hours travelling and I'd only got as far as Queensferry).

I fancy travelling off to a splash in somewhere before the year is out, perhaps one of the Lake District ones in the Autumn.

So I suppose my answer would be; for routine flying around an hour each way, for a treat though I'm prepared to make the effort to go a lot further.

Edited By Ian Jones on 23/08/2016 23:59:21

Posted by ChrisB on 23/08/2016 12:53:30:
With long established flying sites and clubs decreasing I wonder.
How far do people travel to go flying and
how far are people prepared to travel to go flying for a normal flying session?

I currently travel 10miles each way (20mins) and for the right site I'm prepared to travel 25-30 miles and (45-60mins)

What about you?

When I lived in Maldon it was a 30 mile round trip to our favourite site, the old main runway at Bradwell aerodrome. It was nice, and we'd call i at the Star in Steeple to round off the evening. Then I moved to Chelmsford, effecitvely doubling the journey, and that was the end of that.