Horizon Hobbies

I've made a note of the email contacts for service from HH Germany, just in case - thatnks for posting them. HH's UK website is still hopelessly out of date however, and is still saying refer to your manual for contact info!

I don't buy any modelling magazines, has the modelling press covered this debacle in any detail?

Advert

Posted by Cuban8 on 18/05/2017 07:52:49:

I've made a note of the email contacts for service from HH Germany, just in case - thatnks for posting them. HH's UK website is still hopelessly out of date however, and is still saying refer to your manual for contact info!

I don't buy any modelling magazines, has the modelling press covered this debacle in any detail?

Why would the modelling press risk talking about this when HH make up a substantial component of their advertising revenues?

notice the word basher ,referred to above ..... id also like to draw attention to the fact that the organiser of Weston park has put a statement out saying dx 20 tx will not be allowed unless they have been serviced by HH and come with proof that they have been. why is it that futaba jeti jr ,or any other don't need the same treatment?

I agree with you Paul, even to hint at a substantial issue or problem, will result in a tense relationship with any magazine. It is well known that those publications who do not play ball, as seen by the advertiser will be denied advertising and the revenue. In the case of motoring magazines, this has resulted in delayed access to products, which is designed to undermine the reader base. No wonder magazines are so guarded in reporting anything that is not positive.

I cannot but note that some recent quite scandalous product faults are greeted by public expressions of surprise by manufacturers, when the issues have been well known to very many groups even government departments. For a variety of reasons nothing is done or said.

You are correct Paul, the threat of legal action is ever present, particularly when even when written or has been said, is true. Such are the vagaries of the UK legal system.

Of course non of this indicates there is an issue with HH, although if it is known there is, it would take a brave person to say so.

In my opinion, what we are seeing is just as likely to be the result of a sector of commerce trading with a difficult market. Where staying in business is a problem in itself. Some just throw the towel in, like Puffin and my LMS, others do what they think makes sense to them.

Posted by kc on 19/05/2017 16:53:15:

Perhaps I have missed something but why is Weston Park not allowing DX20 that have not been serviced? ( as mentioned by Debbie)

Horizon have issued a recall on the Dx20 as the product didn't meet their quality requirements, so if it hasn't been checked/fixed by Horizon then Weston Park have decided they can't take the risk of allowing a pilot to fly with a product which is subject to a recall.

Thanks for that Frank...... I did a search for "Dx20 " and also "Recall " on the forum but it didn't prpduce any info! Where is the info that they are recalled? Also the Weston Park show info does not have this info as far as I can see.

Of course I don't own a DX20 as I always reckon to buy just simple TX and sideline them if they ever give the slightest glitch! So my DX6i and 6EXA suit me fine and the info on DX20 is just for interest and to help others.

Edited By kc on 19/05/2017 17:25:41

Posted by kc on 19/05/2017 17:13:19:

Thanks for that Frank...... I did a search for "Dx20 " and also "Recall " on the forum but it didn't prpduce any info! Where is the info that they are recalled? Also the Weston Park show info does not have this info as far as i can see.

Of course I don't own a DX20 as I always reckon to buy just simple TX and sideline them if they ever give the slightest glitch! So my DX6i and 6EXA suit me fine and the info on DX20 is just for interest and to help others.

It was further up in this thread https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPM20000-DX20-Bulletin.pdf

If I had paid 1200 pounds for a TX I would have expected HH via the dealer to exchange it immediately for a new set rather than send it back by post to Germany! Still I suppose anyone with 1200 pounds to splash out on a ' Male Jewellery' Tx would have plenty of spare Tx equipment to use in the meantime.

Do we know exactly what is not up to their quality standards?

All this brings to mind the quote from Richie Ginther that the Lotus 40 was a Lotus 30 with 10 more mistakes!

Edited By kc on 19/05/2017 17:52:39

Posted by kc on 19/05/2017 17:41:01:

If I had paid 1200 pounds for a TX I would have expected HH via the dealer to exchange it immediately for a new set rather than send it back by post to Germany! Still I suppose anyone with 1200 pounds to splash out on a ' Male Jewellery' Tx would have plenty of spare Tx equipment to use in the meantime.

Do we know exactly what is not up to their quality standards?

All this brings to mind the quote from Richie Ginther that the Lotus 40 was a Lotus 30 with 10 more mistakes!

Edited By kc on 19/05/2017 17:52:39

laughMade me laugh Kc.....Reminded me of when i was a kid driving Lotus Esprits and the other phrase...LOTUS...Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious!!

Andrew

Posted by Debbie Rooney on 18/05/2017 14:15:40:

notice the word basher ,referred to above ..... id also like to draw attention to the fact that the organiser of Weston park has put a statement out saying dx 20 tx will not be allowed unless they have been serviced by HH and come with proof that they have been. why is it that futaba jeti jr ,or any other don't need the same treatment?

Probably because those brands don't have a current, unspecified product recall out against them. I am sure this is just the organisers doing the sensible thing and mitigating a known risk - understandably they do not want to be held liable if something were to go wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

I need a 1900 mah 6 s lipo for a new T Rex 470 . Against all common sense , and with every fibre of my body screaming no !! I could only find one on HH EU. Good news was 40 % off and always had good service from Staufenbiel in the past , so I pressed the button ! This was Sunday. Been looking at my account and no action showing re the order so I feared the worst ! Could see a PayPal dispute on the Horizon !!😂

Then this morning door bell and a package arrives ! It's the battery !😁 Well , thats the old service I remember !! Still nowt on my account though, and no E mails !😤. Colin

Edited By Colin Carpenter on 14/06/2017 11:58:46

Went to Weston today and noticed a well know retailer had dispensed with their usual company branded tent and replaced it with a HH branded tend, which is a change from 2 weeks ago.

I spoke to another retailer who said that once they have sold all their HH stock that will be that. HH have told them they no longer wish to supply them.Apparently this is happening to several retailers, with only a select handful being the chosen ones.

I suspect this will lead to a franchise system by which retailers will be tied into selling only HH products at prices set by HH.

It seems that this approach, which has, to some extent been the case for some years will lead to further price fixing and a cartel approach.

I understand that all companies need to make a profit but to act in a manner that, in my view, leads to a closed shop of selected retailers selling products at prices chosen by the supplier is only going to go one way.

I'm not sure that people are over bothered about price, but when prices rise by some £70 for the same product in the course of 2 weeks and the service and after sales of those manufacturers is disgraceful, then consumers will walk away. Maybe thats what HH want, an excuse to pull out of Europe and the UK by creating a market and company that causes consumers to leave the brand and then they (HH) can say, no profit, no sales.

CB

"Maybe thats what HH want, an excuse to pull out of Europe and the UK by creating a market and company that causes consumers to leave the brand and then they (HH) can say, no profit, no sales."

The EU is the biggest, richest trading block in all of history. Do you think HH are so stupid as to deliberately choose to pull out of such a lucrative market?

If that isn't the case then why are they destroying their reputation with companies and consumers alike? They are doing themselves no favours at all. Most people don't care if they're based in Germany but its the lack of service to both parties that is going to be their downfall.

Edited By ChrisB on 18/06/2017 07:29:46

*shrug*. I send a RX to Germany a short time ago - I'd knocked off the antenna - they replaced it free of charge within about ten days. Outstanding service. My Spektrum gear has always performed flawlessly. Sure prices have risen. The prices of all imports are going to rise by at least 25% because the £ is now worth around 25% less against the € than last year (hmm. Why would that be?).

I think you're suffering from confirmation bias.

I'm happy with my Spektrum dx8 and 9 and the dozen or so receivers and I'm not fussed about price increases or the fact theyve left the UK. I'm fussed about the future ability to swiftly repair items. Clearly there are some positive stories but they are outweighed by the negative ones.

Posted by Denis Watkins on 18/06/2017 09:23:44:

Just to repeat an opinion from a post way back

I would never "return" any item that is included in the airbourne unit

When "its gone", it is " gone", and never to be trusted again.

Then buy a new one.

Just one viewpoint.

Yes but sometimes returning it you will end up with a new one FOC.