FrSky X10 - Taranis replacement?

Chris Bott - Moderator

Advert

Posted by Ron Gray on 24/07/2017 20:36:03:

Let's just hope that it's got an easily replaceable battery like my Taranis, not one like my Horus and hope too that the battery lasts a lot longer than that of the Horus!

? Mine is good for a couple of days flying on the standard battery. The only issues I've seen reported have been from those using 'Dragonlink' modules for long periods.

Posted by flight1 on 25/07/2017 09:32:11:
Posted by trebor on 25/07/2017 08:45:54:

That's a good idea, I don't get on with a neck strap so it will fall a long way if dropped yes

sounds like you a prime canadit for one of these (or better version) and a tray , once you seen the light you will never be the samesurprise you can just relax and flysmiley

That looks like something to restrain Hannibal Lecter. laugh

Posted by john stones 1 on 25/07/2017 17:02:04:
Posted by Gary Manuel on 25/07/2017 16:15:21:

I'm following this with interest.

According to THIS, it has selectable internal AND external aerials!

Edit - according to THIS, it had detachable exterior and TWO internal aerials!

Edited By Gary Manuel on 25/07/2017 16:21:24

You like that Gary. wink

I have no particular preference, but the first few posts in this thread were about the virtues of internal / external aerials.

Looks like this model gives you the choice, which I do like.

• 1 month later...

Can I wade in to this Antenna debate, my Horus is using open TX( luv it) when I change from internal antenna to use external it appears both internal and external are in use . Is this correct ? I know on FR firmware it is one or the other. Also I have just got a RB10 to use with 2 X8R receivers and dual 6V Ni Mh batteries. The instructions are highly contradictory to me as to where the batteries are connected. You tube added to head ache. Any one using one please? Thanks all.

Posted by robert mcleod on 24/09/2017 08:07:48:

Can I wade in to this Antenna debate, my Horus is using open TX( luv it) when I change from internal antenna to use external it appears both internal and external are in use . Is this correct ? I know on FR firmware it is one or the other. Also I have just got a RB10 to use with 2 X8R receivers and dual 6V Ni Mh batteries. The instructions are highly contradictory to me as to where the batteries are connected. You tube added to head ache. Any one using one please? Thanks all.

You are correct in your assumption that both antenna are used when you select internal.

As to the RB10, I will find out when mine arrives from Kong Kong.laugh

Kev

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anybody have an x10/ 10s yet? I bought one a month ago but the sd card slot was faulty for the little chance I got to use it I love it, trouble is without the sd card slot working I can neither upgrade the firmware or add sounds or images, it is now in the North American warranty centre, be interesting to see turnaround time as service and communication through purchase and questions after have been stella just really wanted to know if anybody else had this problem.

Tony

Edited By Tony Richardson on 25/02/2018 05:09:12

Posted by MattyB on 25/02/2018 08:37:44:

Could you not just have bought a new SD card and populated with all the std contents? It’s been a while, but there used to be several repositories online where you could download the SD card content, one of which was the FrSky site.

Matty, he said the card slot was faulty, so a new card wouldn't work either.

I'm seriously considering an X10 or X10s right now. My Taranis - which has been great and given trouble-free operation for the last 'x' years (I forget how many!) - is now suffering from a very dim/low contrast screen, so this seems the ideal opportunity (excuse!) to upgrade...

What are peoples thoughts on the 10 vs 10s?

Can I just copy over models from the Taranis?

OpenTX (as on the Taranis) or stick with what's supplied on the Horus?

I have had an X10 for about 3 months - the early version at £312 from T9. My thoughts are:

• Very pleased with it
  • I have the early 'brick' charger which, despite millions of moans on RCG, is fine
  • I went for X10 because I cannot see how the higher spec gimbals (only difference on X10S) will have any affect on my flying - any human being would be hard pushed to measure the higher resolution never mind feel it at the sticks
  • The FrSky operating system (FROS) is very good and they continue to improve it. I think this will be perfect for a lot of flyers who (a) don't want to go the Open Tx route (b) want an 'out of the box' ready to go system
  • I have gone the Open Tx route however because I have 3+ years on Taranis and prefer the 'openness' of it.
  • Flashing Open Tx from the supplied FROS (which is a simple to reverse operation) is fairly straightforward but there is room for error - you need to concentrate on the process as it is possible to 'brick' the radio - hard to do but possible as the internal FLASH is not protected. I managed so it can't be too difficult
  • I copied over 25 or so models from Taranis via Companion and whilst not all flown yet, the process seems very successful. You just need to check everything properly and check failsafe etc. I don't believe you can copy from Taranis if you use the FROS - it is a different approach completely
  • I have the Amber colour scheme which I like, I fly mode 2 pinch and the Tx fits me very well. When I tried the Horus X12 under beta test programme, I found this simply did not fit me
  • I particularly like the dual internal antennas (diversity) as I found the Taranis external antenna vulnerable (replaced 3 times). Also the display, yes I know you don't watch the display when flying, is extremely good - even in bright sun light

Hope this helps

Edited By Masher on 25/02/2018 12:34:56

Edited By Masher on 25/02/2018 12:37:06

Posted by John Privett on 25/02/2018 10:53:09:

I'm seriously considering an X10 or X10s right now. My Taranis - which has been great and given trouble-free operation for the last 'x' years (I forget how many!) - is now suffering from a very dim/low contrast screen, so this seems the ideal opportunity (excuse!) to upgrade...

What are peoples thoughts on the 10 vs 10s?

Can I just copy over models from the Taranis?

OpenTX (as on the Taranis) or stick with what's supplied on the Horus?

If you already use and are happy with OpenTX going to FrOS would be a huge backward step, and require you to relearn the model setup process again. So far of the 5 or 6 people I know who have bought an FrOS equipped TX (i.e. Horus or X10) precisely zero have stuck with with it; all are now on OpenTX. Says it all!

Edited By MattyB on 26/02/2018 10:37:34