Dremel tools

DaveyP

Hi all,my daughter has just asked me what I would like as a Xmas present, yes I know it's early, but I was thinking about a Dremel.

Now then I didn't realise there was such a choice so what in the collective wisdom of the forum is the best model for general modelling use. I'm a traditional balsa basher from kits and plans.

Tia, Davey

Advert

I have an old Dremel which gets used all the time. It is mains powered, Mine is two speed only but that is fine.

I have a chuck fitted as the collets are a waste of time. I use sanding drums, cutting discs, several of the various cutting tools.and drills of course.

One accessory that you may only use once a year but which is great is the right angle drive. You forget a hole in a former and it is the only way to drill it out.

I have a mains powered Dremel with variable speed. Like Peter, I have a chuck fitted because the originally supplied collets were a real pain to use - they work perfectly but it's necessary to swap them a lot because they only accommodate a small range of drill size.

I find the sanding drum to be the most used accessory but things like drill bits, and cutting disks are useful. I haven't got a right-angled drive but it looks like it should be on the 'need' list. I have no experience with Proxxon but they seem to be excellent quality, too.

Geoff

Definitely get the chuck, as Peter said the collets are a waste of time. I've got a couple of older 240v Dremels with the variable speed switch, probably the best add-ons I have (most used) for it are the Twist-Loc spindle with a selection of cutting blades and the sanding drums. I buy the cheap accessory kits from Aldi or Lidl when they are in stock.

I have had the 10.8V Lithium-ion Dremel 800 set for nine years now, and love it. Lithium ion means that even if you haven't used it for months there is still enough oomph in the batteries for small jobs, and as I got a spare battery with it, that one can be charging whilst the other is in use (assuming I'm near mains power). Even when using it for hours at a time, with two batteries, you only have to stop for seconds to swap them over, as the charger is pretty rapid.

Here is one like mine:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dremel-Multi-Tool-Model-800-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Model-Making-Arts-Crafts-/263270605701?hash=item3d4c26a385:g:xY8AAOSw~vpZ6Ldo

Because its cordless I've used used it all over the place; over the side of a yacht during the round the Isle of Wight race, on an airfield for cutting glider winch cable, numerous jobs around the house and on the car, you name it. If you are working near a delicate structure, you don't have to worry about a cable dragging across and breaking it. Most of the people to whom I have lent it have ended up getting their own, or the Lidl/Aldi equivalent.

The current equivalent is the Dremel 8200, which comes in a soft bag as opposed to a hard case, and can't be stood up on the back of the battery, although this does mean the back end is a bit more compact.

Get some diamond cutting discs, as they last for ages and the thin conventional grinding discs have a habit of shattering.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 21/10/2017 12:04:50

I recently got a genuine Dremel after years of going through the cheapy copies which are generally vastly inferior (an Aldi tool that I bought lasted under a minute and blew up) I remember looking at Dremels thirty years ago when you were paying around a hundred quid, but you can pick one up now for much less depending on what model you choose. Building a nice selection of accessories as well.

Another vote for the genuine Dremel original, you should only have to buy it once. My mains one is 40+ years old (as is my Dremel saw) & like Robin I have the 800 series LiOn cordless bought in 2008. I use the collets but having read the other comments will check out a chuck.

As an alternative to Dremel have a look at the Black and Decker rotary multinational.£43.95 from Tesco Direct. You my find it cheaper on the net. On my second one now. The first lasted about ten years of heavy use and abuse. The current one is about four years old and going strong. It's a main powered variable speed tool and comes as standard with a collet chuck so a three jaw chuck conversion is a must. Agree about the cheap copies some last a couple of years many dont last very long. 

I got one last year for Christmas and now I wonder how I ever did without one. Cutting disks for piano wire and small stone to clean up cut edge. Couple of dentist type burrs and the most used item like the others is the sanding drum. Thanks Peter Miller for more good advice, I must put a right angle drive on this Christmas present wish list! Also worth it is suggesting to your "Daughter Christmas" would she throw in one of Dremels wee butane soldering irons as a package deal. Great for soldering up leads and then using the hot air tip to do the heat shrink tubing. Ready in a minute, though not enough guts for 8swg wire.

Happy dust making and spark shedding - Nigel

Collets - where some are describing them as a waste of time, I think this gives the wrong impression. While they certainly increase the fiddle factor taking extra time to change them, they are, in my opinion, superior to the chuck in both holding power and accuracy plus they can help in accessing tight areas.

My main reservation with my Dremel is the chuck capacity. Even the slightest amount of dust getting into the body of the chuck can cause it to be extremely difficult to insert most of my standard shaft sized tools - does anyone else have this problem...it's been the same on both Dremels I've had...or am I just unlucky?

I very rarely use my flexi-drive but on those occasions it can be invaluable but I'd second (or third, fourth?) the recommendation to get the right angled drive.

Here's mine that I was given as a Christmas present about 5 years ago

image.jpeg

One of the first things I bought was the chuck to replace the collets. I've since added the work stand. It has been used for loads of non modelling tasks as well.

I use the speed click cutting discs. They are not cheap, but they last pretty well and I've not had one shatter yet.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Posted by DaveyP on 22/10/2017 10:31:30:

Thanks for the replies, I have now looked at the Dremel 3000, very reasonable price, and can come with a flexi shaft.

Anyone think the flexi shaft is a good idea or no......

Yes without a doubt I have used mine countless times

Yes to a chuck,, yes to a flexi drive and yes to a right angled drive.But please have a look on Bang Good and Gear Best I've had two of their mini drills and so far 4yrs , they have been great. Real power and speed control. Prices are excellent as also is quality. Good range of types too. I like the quality of stuff and variety of choice from Both sites .Loads of R/C and modelling stuff too.

I bought a 3000 Combo w/ pillar drill, chuck & flexi drive. So far I didn't miss the right angle drive but that might change. Suberb X-mas gift, Davey. Go for it...

I'll second Onetenor regarding Banggood. Enormous choice of quality items for a mega price and at free shipping. They also do an 'accessories' range of stuff for the Dremel.

What I can't find at Banggood, I'll source from Aliexpress. Super as well.

BTW, even Peter Miller uses small Banggood glue bottles for his builds now... wink

Cheers

Chris