Laser Engines - Technical questions

Jon H

Advert

On 01/11/2022 at 19:09, Jon - Laser Engines said:

John S - yea ok but how often do you loose a clunk really? I can think of only 1 time its happened to me in 30 years. Unless you take off vertically it wont matter anyway, at least not for a while. 

Must be having a run of bad luck with clunks as have had two come off this year. Could not work out why the engine kept stopping on the model until I checked the plumbing for air leaks only to find the clunk at the bottom of the tank. Second occasion was only found by chance when I had to remove the tank on a new model which has yet to be flown.

May be worth checking all my models as there must be a third one lurking in the depths of the workshop.

I have an old Flair DVII, powered by an ancient Laser 75. It just had some minor repairs. The old prop, a 14x6 scimitar blade APC was fine for the job, but was tip damaged. None in the spares box, seem rare in France at the moment.

I’ve bought a 14x6 Xoar prop, very pretty, to replace.

Anyone any idea about how these two props compare?

Cheers John, I’m being a bit old maidish I suspect, it’s very nice but not as great granny made it mentality.

Open the throttle and I find out.

PS, it is old, you donated a Flair wheel for it a long time ago, blue now red, when I was one wheel on wagon, and no Flair wheels to be had.

• Like 1

with a wood prop i recommend you fit it, fly, and then let the engine cool down before giving it another go with the spanner. You will find its slightly loose and needs a tighten. Repeat this every flight until you find the prop has stabilised and is still tight after the engine has cooled. Normally takes 4 or 5 flights. 

• Thanks 1

Jon . Have you actually physically tried an inlet extention tube on a laser? The one I made some years ago for an OS  made the engine run far  better especially at low mid range with good torque up to nax piwer. Max rpm was down a tiny bit but nothing to worry about in the real world. 

It seems we have become fixated by statistics and squeezing every last rev from an engine. Fine on a race track or speed competition but it doesn't always translate to the real world applications.

If its just max top end your after then the carb bolted onto the cyl head is fine. You quote motorcycles having very short inlet tracts but look back and you will find many old bikes especially those tuned for hill climb events etc had lengthened inlet tracts to increase torque especially in the mid range. Carb on the head equates to some of the fuel entering the chamber still in a liquid state . A longer inlet tract allows this wet mist to fully vaporise before it enters the  cylinder and it burns better. 

If you haven't tried it don't knock it . 

I think I have already hold you about a work colleague who rebuilt his Triumph Boneville with extended carb tracts. Carbs were mounted on the frame with slightly flexible inlet tubes. No other Boneville around our scene could catch it . The only downside was that pulling away if the road was wet became a bit tricky as wheelspin was the norm and careful clutch control was needed.

Would ib be worth trying a inlet extention and if it's works and helps tank position then sell it as a add on. I'm sure there would be a  market.

Looking at the picture of your tank Paul looks the same as the type of clunk I had come off this week. Think the issue is that there is simply not enough extension pipe on the clunk to engage securely with the fuel pipe inside the tank. Replaced mine with a sintered filter type which had a far longer interface pipe.

6 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

Jon . Have you actually physically tried an inlet extention tube on a laser? The one I made some years ago for an OS  made the engine run far  better especially at low mid range with good torque up to nax piwer. Max rpm was down a tiny bit but nothing to worry about in the real world. 

It seems we have become fixated by statistics and squeezing every last rev from an engine. Fine on a race track or speed competition but it doesn't always translate to the real world applications.

If its just max top end your after then the carb bolted onto the cyl head is fine. You quote motorcycles having very short inlet tracts but look back and you will find many old bikes especially those tuned for hill climb events etc had lengthened inlet tracts to increase torque especially in the mid range. Carb on the head equates to some of the fuel entering the chamber still in a liquid state . A longer inlet tract allows this wet mist to fully vaporise before it enters the  cylinder and it burns better. 

If you haven't tried it don't knock it . 

I think I have already hold you about a work colleague who rebuilt his Triumph Boneville with extended carb tracts. Carbs were mounted on the frame with slightly flexible inlet tubes. No other Boneville around our scene could catch it . The only downside was that pulling away if the road was wet became a bit tricky as wheelspin was the norm and careful clutch control was needed.

Would ib be worth trying a inlet extention and if it's works and helps tank position then sell it as a add on. I'm sure there would be a  market.

I am not going into it all again ED. Its been done to death at this point

11 minutes ago, Mike Mc said:

Do the Laser 70 and 80 have the same mounting bolt pattern? 

Nope. Wider crankcase on the 80. Dimension drawings for both are on the website though so you can check the fit in your model. 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines

• 3 weeks later...

OK very old Laser 75, but modified to use the black carb instead of the super tigre one, hadn't been used since I changed the main bearings. First flight it ran great and landed after 10mins and taxied back and I had to stop the engine with the throttle cut, so all good. 2nd flight it cut out in flight, back on the bench it seemed to be running OK, but on the third flight it cut when I dropped the throttle from full to 75%. Back on the bench and I noticed that the main needle was open about 4 turns and was quite insensitive. Checked the tank but that made no difference, BTW top of tank is level with the carb (upright installation) So I've had the carb off disassembled it and cleaned it, thinking there was an internal blockage, but there was nothing obvious I could see, as I've had to remove the engine to remove the carb is there anything else to check/change before I reassemble.

Note it can't be the fuel as it's the same fuel as the first flight and used in my Laser 62 which just purrs through 20 min flights.

Nope, sounds like classic carb blockage to me so i would do as you have done and give it another shot. Double check the valve springs to make sure one didnt break and that clearances are good. Beyond that i suspect dirt in the carb is the issue.