Kings Lynn Model Shop

Advert

I had a problem with some paint i bought from them. It had all bits floating in it and was a nightmare to spray with. As i was on a mission and committed to the job i pushed through using a tea strainer to sort it out. I phoned them explaining the problem but didnt expect a reply as i had used most of the paint and thrown the tin away.

They asked me to send the tin back, which i did after a bin rescue, they then said they found similar issues with their stock and they would get back to me. 2 weeks of silence and then i was told that my virtually empty 125ml tin would be replaced with a full 1 litre tin direct from the manufacturer.

I found their service first class and cant complain.

The problem with online customer complaint websites is anyone can complain, and if they have a beef they will. Folks who are happy tend to not post anything as they have nothing to talk about. You also get the unreasonable types who expect the world to revolve around them and leave a bad comment when they find it does not.

I will be keeping an eye on proceedings, they were always my go to shop

Posted by David Palmer 5 on 12/06/2019 10:55:07:

Anyone any idea why KL are not answering the phone and not fulfilling orders

My wife phoned to order a birthday present from them at the end of April. Phone rang for a while & then answered. The explanation was that the guy was on his own in the shop dealing with internet orders, dispatching orders, answering the telephone and dealing with customers at the same time. No surprise it took a while to answer and perfectly understandable.

With model shops struggling against online shops and sales/profit margins getting tighter I don't suppose they can afford to hire a lot of staff full time for 6 days a week so it's to be expected really. We have also got used to next day delivery from online shops and waiting 5 days for goods may seem unreasonable now but only a few years ago we would phone up to order our goodies and wait till the weekend to go to the shop and pick them up.

Understanding our retail situation for modelling and some patience should help the remaining high street shops keep afloat.

I have used KLM several times now as well as others to try to spread the load/love. Not had any problems yet but then again I usually expect my delivery if posted to take around 10 days. Sooner is a bonus!

Posted by David Palmer 5 on 12/06/2019 10:55:07:

Anyone any idea why KL are not answering the phone and not fulfilling orders

Also....

How do you know they're not answering the phone? They are probably answering a call whilst you are waiting, just not your call. Or have you been trying for a while now with no luck?

And how many of your orders have not been fulfilled? Just your one or several you have placed recently? Or do you know of many other orders not delivered to other people?

Your post gives the impression they're avoiding you or other customers when in reality the may be bending over backwards trying to help as many customers as possible, just not your phone call?

While not condoning shoddy service and rudeness, I do think that we should cut the remaining uk model shops a bit of slack.

On one post we bemoan the loss of local shops and the next reporting the non answering of the phone.....no disrespect to you, Dave Palmer 5.

Case in point, Probuild, are not very swift at answering emails. Get them on the phone and they couldn’t have helped me more.

Like several people here I have also used KL in the past and have previously never had any problems.

I logged onto my account with them and found that my order for a component shown as in stock was marked as pending after 5 days. I phoned without answer and I have emailed also without answer.

As it seems others have experienced delays I will wait a little longer and hope to receive my goods in due course

I like Kings Lynn Models too. I agree with post further up saying that we should allow the odd slip up given they are not some massive anonymous organisation. They have given me good advice in the past and pointed me to money saving alternatives. Yes any small business can slip , but from all my chats with them they are run by fellow modellers and that helps. Best to simply call them (I often do) if your order status is still “pending”after a week. As you may see from the other thread there are currently serious shortages in many ARTFs and I’m sure some other RC gear supply might be running in short supply this year...

Edited By Tim Flyer on 12/06/2019 20:49:09

Edited By Tim Flyer on 12/06/2019 20:52:31

Hi all.

I'm Charlie as mentioned above.

There are two guys working in the shop who, to be fair are usually answering phones and fulfilling orders all day every day.

Just like any other shop, sometimes things go wrong, or something gets missed.

I'm not offering excuses, but things happen

If your ringing and not getting an answer, please be patient, try again later, i can say with some confidence that the guys are on another call. One day, i'll try and record the number of calls, e-mails and walk ins the shop gets in a day, just out of interest.

For you guys on here, i am a mod on RCMF, message me on there if you want.

To finish though. I don't work at the shop, i have full time employment elswhere thankfully.

A really good friend owns it and i help out in a very small way, and two good friends work there who are modellers themselves and are really, really helpful in all things modelling.

Hope that helps

Charlie

Posted by Charlie Cox on 12/06/2019 21:53:17:

Hi all.

I'm Charlie as mentioned above.

There are two guys working in the shop who, to be fair are usually answering phones and fulfilling orders all day every day.

A really good friend owns it and i help out in a very small way, and two good friends work there who are modellers themselves and are really, really helpful in all things modelling.

Hope that helps

Charlie

Thanks Charlie - that's useful info from one who knows and should put folks minds at easethumbs up

Pete

Charlie touches on a point here that i think is often missed.

There is sometimes a conception among customers in the model game that the retail/manufacture side has a cast of thousands sitting idle while their order, which is clearly the only thing anyone has to do, sits ignored in the corner.

Most model shops have at most 3 full time staff, perhaps a few part time. At Laser i am on my own on the assembly and customer service side, i think saito only have about 15 employees, DB models are a small team, model technics i think employ only 3 or 4 people.

Most of the retailers we all deal with simply do not have the levels of staffing people probably expect and think this is why people get annoyed so quickly. It is the misconception that gives them this false impression of people being lazy or incompetent.

That is why whenever anyone criticizes my service at laser, i apologise and then recommend they send in a cv if they reckon they can do a better job. So far no takers :D

Anyway, be nice to people in the model trade guys. We are generally modelers as well and most will bend over backwards to help you given the chance.

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 12/06/2019 16:59:34:

I had a problem with some paint i bought from them. It had all bits floating in it and was a nightmare to spray with. As i was on a mission and committed to the job i pushed through using a tea strainer to sort it out. I phoned them explaining the problem but didnt expect a reply as i had used most of the paint and thrown the tin away

Hi John .it's off topic I know but paint with bits in it can be rescued by straining it through a piece of SWMBO old tights. Don't use the foot bit but tie a knot at ankle part,cut off foot then cut off a few inches above the knot. Always used to strain car paint as before matter of course before spraying as bits of stuff often got in the mix. Old house paint can also get bits of dried paint from half used tin . Strain in the same way and save buying new tins every time.