Brian Winch

A sad day to see a passing of a true expert. Someone we could trust with no crap and very entertaining also. Very few true engineers exist these days and he will be sorely missed. I just hope there is someone in his family to take over all the little gizmos he has collected over the years and they will not just bin all his lovely tools. A very sad day for us model engine people.

May he be given a glorious send off. Nothing else to say.

That's sad news. Brian Winch was what my dad would have called "a good hand" and imparted his knowledge with a very relaxed and readable style. Like many readers I wrote to him for some engine advice many years ago - pre-email - and promptly received a detailed hand written reply. A proper gent. Condolences to all of Brian's family and friends.

Oh, no, Brian was always one of my favourite columns due to his in depth knowledge of engines and all thing engineering.

He did mention that he lost his wife and had started to do his daily tasks that his wife did - including using paper plates to save washing and the brainwave to use them as gaskets for engines.

My favourite story is when a Laker model with a OS120 FS was lost in the lake, then found much later when the lake drained in a draught - Brian got the engine running again, after replacing parts an the funny bit when he described it like Sir Lancelot pulling the sword out of the stone - in this case Sir Lancelot holding the engine high after releasing it from the lake bed!

R..I.P. Brian

Brian was part of modelling life in Australia as long as I can remember and always gave a helping hand with any engine problem you could throw at him. Although I only fly electric these days his column was always a first read, I enjoyed learning more about engines and he was so generous with advice. I've decided to fire up one of my ancient diesels in memory of him. He will be sorely missed.

Only today i was reading in RCM&E, Brians section. It never passed through my mind that it was possible that his column would come to an end.

I am saddened, in a very similar manner to other contributors , the good Dr David, prior to him Peter Lowe.

In a more selfish vein, to areas that these guys and others coverered is old school, yet for many of us old ones, remain very relevant and are probably irreplaceable, that is being selfish.

I will miss their contributions. Very saddened.

• 4 weeks later...

I only heard about Brian's death the other day. Very sad - as a dedicated "petrol head" I always went first to his column and on the occasions that I wrote to him he always responded helpfully.

A very hard act to follow - his depth of knowledge was impressive; and his humour and humanity always infectious.

R.I.P.Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Despite my reservations over the idea of 'Specials' that we've discussed elsewhere, a selection of Brian's musings about engines, engineering, the human condition and a multitude of other subjects would be very welcome.

Brian's style was often uniquely antipodean in tone and this made it all the more readable and entertaining. Quite irreplaceable and a 'one off', I wonder how that particular gap in the mag's content will be filled now? Important to make a good decision to carry on Brian's long standing work for us IC fanciers.

I am profoundly saddened to have just found out yesterday that our valued friend Brian Winch has died. Like many of us I corresponded with Brian over the years and I too will miss his knowledge and humour, his help with sorting out my second hand SC FS 52 AR was invaluable. Just recently, June and July, I sent Brian some pictures of the 'special' engines seen at Shaun G's single channel event at Ponty, he was most enthusiastic about them but told me he was getting ready for some very long journeys indeed, 1100 Km for one of them - he seemed indestructible.

I can only sum Brian up simply as a 'Diamond Geezer' because for me he most certainly was. To bring some of his articles together into a special publication as a lasting tribute of a quite unique character - Engineer and Teacher - as suggested is surely the least we can do - how about it ?

Brian was, I felt , my friend and I will miss him.

I was in Aus last week visiting my son and didn't know of this sad news until I returned to the UK.

Several times while there I had thought of Brian beavering away in his workshop just down the road in Sydney, not far from where I was. Sadly it seems he was'nt.

A very special bloke who appealed to and helped most of us.

Rest well Brian. You will be very much missed.

• 1 year later...

Peter - welcome to the forum. Many years of RCME backnumbers are available online here to RCME subscribers -probably that article is there but finding which issue will take some effort! I suggest you start a new thread with the subject as Saito FA 120 exhaust rings to catch the eye of Saito users. I expect someone will know and help .