CAA announce New drone trials !

Engine Doctor

See Sky News article re the trials or remotely operated drone trials Now many of us have signed up to the new regs imposed upon us by the CAA and DFT and paid our £9 : all of a sudden its ok to fly drones Via FPV from remote control units for deliveries and Site inspections flaunting the laws and regs imposed upon us .Not just out of line of site but up to 50 miles away according to the article .  It looks like we modelers have been used/duped  to help pay for the setting up of this CAA department, or am I just being cynical ?

Conned by duplicitous politicians and back room departments yet again ?

This also begs the question ,is it these drones that are being reported by pilots of aircraft all along ?

If we do it its called mischief or breaking the law if a company does it its called progress

Edited By Engine Doctor on 26/12/2019 11:07:09

Advert

The story is on the front page of today's times.From next year pilotless drones will be controlled from centres up to 50 miles away,apparently the market could be worth up to £42 billion pounds.It is going to happen apart from the end of model flying which is small fry imagine the loss of jobs and the devastation of wildlife what's left of it.

Yea, but this is Sky News. Check they can get the date right, and if the writer has every been to school, or studied anything better than an basic level qualification in useless adjectives, and in pulling the wings off flies.

It struck me that they were describing, is it extended line of sight?, already allowed for in the regulations. Unless the government moves to limit liability to bystanders, what Sky was implying ain't going to happen.

Posted by Don Fry on 26/12/2019 11:17:06:

Yea, but this is Sky News. Check they can get the date right, and if the writer has every been to school, or studied anything better than an basic level qualification in useless adjectives, and in pulling the wings off flies.

It struck me that they were describing, is it extended line of sight?, already allowed for in the regulations. Unless the government moves to limit liability to bystanders, what Sky was implying ain't going to happen.

Hi Don . They Quote " up to 50 miles " Now that is extended line of site smiley

Posted by Steve J on 26/12/2019 11:35:57:
Posted by Engine Doctor on 26/12/2019 11:04:47:

Nobody has been conned. The only people that will be surprised by this are the wilfully ignorant.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to suggest to the CAA and politicians that the beneficiaries of the new legislation should be the ones paying fees - i.e. commercial drone operators and to a lesser extent, airlines benefitting from increased customer confidence against the "drone menace" now that we have little numbers to display...

Posted by Steve J on 26/12/2019 11:35:57:
Posted by Engine Doctor on 26/12/2019 11:04:47:

Nobody has been conned. The only people that will be surprised by this are the wilfully ignorant.

Some of us have been saying that this was behind the regs all along. Now, I very much doubt that these drones will bear much more than a superficial resemblance to anything we fly or that can be bought over the counter and I would imagine the operators will be expected to operate at a much more professional level than we are.

The military have been operating extremely BVLOS drones for many years, it's not really surprising that this sort of professional grade technology will trickle down to civilian commercial users.

I expect that what has been described is the start, of a set evolving operational methods.

You can imagine that monitoring overhead transmission lines could be considered routine, which could easily be flown by a series of way points. A similar situation can be argued for railway infrastructure. All the information from monitoring being automatically recorded and probably alarmed, without recourse to any second by second interaction by any human. Any interaction being determined by an algorithm, rather than by necessity, beyond planning, submission of a flight plan for approval, initiation of the flight and its termination.

I am sure you all can imagine other modes of operation.

What any of this would mean to us, I cannot even guess.

NOT a SUAV This is not a remote control model. Rather it is a sub 70kg foot launched aircraft with the flight controls operated via a RC Tx. Of course if he took it off his back and flew it 3rd person LOS then it would fall under the requirements of DRES. But, as shown and if flown in this country no licence, no registration, no test, etc . Just buy/make and fly.

Posted by Steve J on 26/12/2019 18:34:45:

Posted by Martin Harris on 26/12/2019 11:44:22:

I'm sure I'm not the only one to suggest to the CAA and politicians that the beneficiaries of the new legislation should be the ones paying fees

ors5_349.jpg

(ORS5 349)

Edited By Steve J on 26/12/2019 18:35:35

While there are undoubtedly fees paid by commercial operators, I was referring to the fees that we, as modellers, are being made to pay for the dubious privilege of setting up the basics of a database to be incorporated in an identification and control system. Remember how the good Baroness gleefully trumpeted that we, as beneficiaries, should be happy to pay an equal share of the set up and running costs.

The FAA have released their anticipated Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for Remote Identification. This is in America and not the final document. I mention it here to reinforce the fact that preparations for commercial BVLOS are advancing.

When we get the equivalent European draft laws I expect those of us with the inclination will discuss it in The Gov't, BMFA & UAV legislation thread.

Posted by Martin_K on 26/12/2019 22:24:39:

The FAA have released their anticipated Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for Remote Identification. This is in America and not the final document. I mention it here to reinforce the fact that preparations for commercial BVLOS are advancing.

When we get the equivalent European draft laws I expect those of us with the inclination will discuss it in The Gov't, BMFA & UAV legislation thread.

What I found interesting in something I read on this linked from another forum is it includes:

" including the small UAS rule, which covers drones weighing less than 55 pounds other than model aircraft "

so it looks like they may be EXCLUDING model aircraft.

Mike