Lost mojo

fly boy3

Due to a devastating bereavement, I cannot make a start on covering my latest model. Any tips on regaining my mojo. The worst part of this is that I promised my late wife that I would complete and rename the model in my her honour. I love building and have completed many many Winter builds. I,m trying hard but I just need a kick start. Cheers

I went through that quite a long time ago.

I would suggest that you don't try and force yourself to do anything just yet.

Think about your model look at things but don't try and rush it. Then when you first start feeling that you want to do something modelingwise build something small and simple just to get into the building mood again.

You will then start to feel like modelling again and you will find that at that stage modelling will be a great help.

Sorry for your loss fly boy, what model is it, do you have any pictures, perhaps others on here have built that model and can post pictures of theirs to give you encouragement. Even if you do a small amount each day once you can see it moving forward it may encourage you to go on and finish it, Once done it will be an achievement to see that you have done what you promised your wife and it has her name on it.

If you can't face it, the time is not right yet.

But when the time comes, do a bit every day. One day might be half a rudder. It's worth doing half a rudder. The discipline of a regular work input gets the habit going again. And gets it finished.

This is already part of your character. All builders walk away from a disaster with a "whatever" thought.

Fly Boy - there aren't words that will console you to your loss - you need time, time on your own to reflect, time to grieve, time to remember and smile. Walking helps, truly it does. Then, eventually you will feel you need to get that plane covered, it is unfortunate that at the moment the covering job and your late wife's association with the task are so intimately associated - but one day when your feelings aren't so raw - do it for her.

It has been suggested to me that the concentration that both the tasks of building and flying ( and covering ) require a considerable amount of concentration, to the extent that there is very little room in your head for extraneous thoughts - which is what some folk would describe as a form of mindfulness - and that can only be helpful.

Condolences Fly Boy,

Let me share a not dissimilar story: A couple of years ago i was working on a Sagitta glider kit, which had stalled at about the covering stage for a short time due to the usual everything getting in the way. This was coupled by losing my mother to breast cancer (63). Again, other priorities but a couple of months later after I went out to the shed, and just started tinkering. Next thing I had the covering iron out, and had it done quick as anything. The colours were inspired by the local Breast Cancer charity's colours/logo and kinda just happened without too much thought about it and it's probably the best iron-on job I've ever done.

Best wishes.

20180210_162835 - copy.jpg

You've not lost your mojo, you've lost the part of your life that can never return. Somewhere down the line you'll get back into modelling but don't dwell on it. When you're ready it'll pop up out of nowhere.

If you listened to the Primate of the CofE he recommends volunteering for an organisation, I guess you're ex FAA; there must be an association for it and I'd either join it or, if already a member, devote more time to it. It won't replace your loved one but it will surely take your mind off of things and the companionship will re-motivate you.

Sorry for your loss Fly Boy, Life has its challenges but we do need to continue living and doing the best that we can. 6 years ago we lost our house and 2 dogs in a fire. We had nothing and it was very tough but 6 years on you would not beleive just how much we have recovered. Take time to grieve but do not allow the loss to take control of your life.

Flyboy, you have my sympathy. When I lost my other half it put me out of the game for 3 or 4 years. I found new interests were easier to invest myself in as there was no emotional connection. I'd stopped riding bikes before meeting Ruth but during her last year we'd talked about getting one as Fran had gone off to Uni, so after a spell I bought myself a second hand Yamaha XS750 to occupy my time and to get me out of the house. In my case within 12 months I also had redundancy to take my mind of my loss. In time I dug out my modelling gear and found I could enjoy the memories it bought back without the sharp pain taking over.

Chris, unlike losing a house bereavement isn't something you can just deal with and move on. It isn't a reasonable comparison.

Sorry for your loss Flyboy.

I lost the love of my life over 25 years ago. I consoled myself by throwing myself into my work. I was fortunate enought to have a purposeful sort of work at the time. In time I gained further qualifications, got out the motorbike when the weather was good and continued all alone through redundancy and the deaths of the older generation within my family until I reached state retirement age. Still all alone, I retired to rural France in 2015 but on 12th January 2019, two pairs of eyes met across a crowded library and life has never been the same again.

trish bertie and me at la coupe.jpg

Things have a way of working out Flyboy.

Hi all, thank you for all the help you have given to me in this thread, and I have saved it all, as it will be read and re read many times in the future. The info has been given from the heart as it seems you have all been through it, and managed it in many different ways. My apologies if I have upset anyone by bringing back precious but emotional memories. It has given me the kick start I needed, and I have actually made a start on the covering. As mentioned a little at a time, so I have given myself four months to complete covering to coincide with a special birthday. The model is called Flying Aces Sportster. If I can remember how to load pics I can show you the naked model. Thank you all my friends. FB3

• 4 weeks later...

You have got to finish it and show it flying... just for me as I sob quietlysad.

Due to a mains waterburst, on the path outside my home, water flooded into my garage. The only fatality was my Sportster due to water getting into the wing roots. No wings, no fly!

Waiting for United Utilities to pay out but no amount of money is going to make good on my loss.

Update on F.A.Sportster, as previously mentioned, the wings etc, wing servos completed. A slight problem has occurred. I am very close to using my covering all up. It's HK product, colour "Jasinth" . Checked out HK just in case, but found its a discontinued product. Ah well, whose going to notice a slight colour change 200 ft up in the air lol. Hope they don't discontinue orange. Cheers