Poorly OS40 repair

Jon H

I have been presented with an early OS40 4 stroke in a rather sorry state but i am pondering giving it some tlc and trying to get it going again.

The thing i was really wondering about was if i should shoot a video of the process. It would a new thing for me entirely, and somewhat terrifying as i am not one for public performance, but i was an idea that came to mind.

The alternative would be to just post the photos here as normal, assuming there is sufficient interest for that!

os40.jpg

Advert

It looks like it's had an impact against something or someone has tried jamming something in there - perhaps in the process of removing the prop nut? Will you do some stress relieving or put a new rod in?

It looks like it's spent some time immersed or in a very damp place.

Repairing the cam cover will be an interesting exercise.

Posted by Nigel R on 17/02/2020 12:26:52:

first question - how do you clean the outside!?

Watch the video

I think before i get too carried away i need to see what it is i have got here. Each part needs to be inspected and cleaned to see if its even worth trying to rebuild it. That process of inspection an cleaning could be a video in its own right so that is probably where i will start. When i will start, cant say.

Also the idea i have in mind is a sort of looking through my eyes video so there will be no music or slick montages showing the work. JohnnyQ90 on youtube does great projects but his standard of video production is well beyond me. Literally, if i do it then it will just be me yapping on while trying to clean something so it should be a good cure for insomnia if nothing else

Go for it Jon!

A series of short video clips describing what, why and how would be great as the project progresses. Not many of us have your level of expertise and experience on small engines, and I for one am keen to learn more. You are guaranteed at least 12 fans to watch your efforts!

William

Very kind Malcolm

My plan is to do as little to the engine as i can in terms of replacement parts. I mean, its not really fixing it if i replace all the parts, but equally if something is beyond repair then it needs to be changed. Bearings, piston ring, valve springs. These are my main worries and i know the throttle arm is also broken. Beyond that i have not looked at it closely as i didnt want to start the video already knowing the story.

What i will do is try and get myself organised and see what it is we have, are the parts any good, can it be saved. If i can get a video of that lot done then i will see where we end up

Jon,

While a video would be great can I suggest that in order not to get trapped in it that you video yourself doing all the repairs/refurbs until complete and you have a running motor and then upload it after editing. That way the thread won't stall because you can't get a part or have insufficient time available to do the job etc. etc. and you will be a

herolaugh

Posted by Wingman on 18/02/2020 10:12:36:

Jon,

While a video would be great can I suggest that in order not to get trapped in it that you video yourself doing all the repairs/refurbs until complete and you have a running motor and then upload it after editing. That way the thread won't stall because you can't get a part or have insufficient time available to do the job etc. etc. and you will be a

herolaugh

I did think about that but i would like to stay away from the 'here's one i prepared earlier' style. If someone is watching the video and trying to learn something about fixing an engine then the video needs to be as they will see it themselves and will be, more or less, completely unedited. If i have all the answers before i begin then i can miss things in the video that i take for granted when looking at a damaged engine.

I dont want to go in with the whole project figured out and a script of what needs to be done as this is not representative of trying to fix an engine yourself. You open the thing up and you evaluate it, that will be the focus of the first instalment. If during that process we learn that the engine is dead, then fine, its dead, but at least we all now know what to look for in a dead engine, how to evaluate the parts you have, and when to decided its done and not go spending loads of money on replacement parts.

At the end of the whole thing the engine might still be a failure. It might not run very well, compression might be poor, whatever. That is not really the point.

Its like in a maths test at school. If you got the answer wrong but showed your working you still get most of the marks.

i had a brief go at getting the video started this evening and immediately came to the realisation that i did not have the equipment or setup to really make it work. I am going to try again in a few other locations but i am not holding out too much hope. The real issues are lighting and camera mounting as i dont have any tripods or anything like that. Looking through the camera it was impossible to see anything inside the engine as the light was so poor and trying to use a torch (all i had to hand) just washed out the image.

I will try again in the workshop at work as the light is much better than my living room but i am still stuck on ways to hold the camera. If i cant work it out then a step by step blog might have to do.