Is this weather ever going to get better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tigerman

Advert

Cuban8. We have the same problem, except we can't get cars ( even 4x4) across to our field. We are 3 fields off the road and the track is passable until the last bend which refuses to drain.we have cut channels into the ditch in the past but to no use. If we take cars that far turning round is difficult. Not too bad if you fly small electric that you can carry as we can walk to the field but anything bigger is hard. Haven't been out myself since October.

John

I have 3 water butts and they all empty very quickly in high summer.

But it's sure better than nought!

I'm saying THIS is the first day of Spring. Strange kind of light and a lightness to the air. Birdies all in good voice. No wind. That's all in Eastern England. Of course it's still much the same for the poor sods under water, no doubt.

Martin

We seem to have a slight problem. Not enough people have water butts.

Your Hobby need you!

Get at least 4 water butts, to stop the rain now, and ensure we have a temperate summer.

If not, we need to sacrifice a few virgins, or perhaps have a Chitchen Itza type football match. I believe thee is a pyramid in Stockport for the heart ripping out bit. Although I do not remember seeing any steps to the top, nor a serpent. Hmm.

I will speak with my wife, she always knows what I should do!

Friday looks good here too, Pete. Batteries will be charged tomorrow, and as the winds are supposed to be reasonably light, I'll take a selection of smaller models - Durafly Tundra in case the strip is ropey, Ohmen to throw around the sky, and Durafly Bf109e in case the strip is good enough - I've got warbird flying withdrawal syndrome!

Its all over.

Two days of rain, my water butt is 3/4 full, more rain tonight forecastcrying

The real downer, the wind shifted the butt slightly and is now barely on its brick basecrying

For three whole days, there was sunshine, zephyr strength breeze, and now, for the want of a sacrifice to the gods of wind and rain, all is lost.

Posted by Brian Cooper on 11/03/2020 14:46:36:
Posted by Martin Harris on 11/03/2020 12:09:45:

Have you tried snow shoes? Mind you, what's a pilot of your calibre doing walking on the runways anyway?

Testing to see if the ground is firm enough to support the weight of a model. . . . It isn't. sad

Balloon tyres are your friends Brian - not like you to find an excuse not to fly!

Got better yesterday for a day , perhaps with more on the horizon. Amazingly the track across the field to our clubhouse had dried out in the wind and sun. Our strip is lower lying and oozes water when walked on. However big wheels got a couple of us airborne . Hand launches for a couple of powered gliders. Thought about sending my gnat up for its third flight but the the 20 mph gusts made me chicken out.

Only my 3rd flying day since early November. It sure felt good to be back in the air.

Tim

Can someone help is it ok (CAA/insurance etc). to fly electric only of course at local playing fields?. The local club pays a small fee to the council and has done for many years with no problems.Just noticed Foxfan,s post any advice please.

Finally got a chance to fly my ArtHobby Odyssey 2.7m glider that I finished last month.

I only got a few bungee launches in still air one day back in February.

This morning started off grey and still air but I had a few launches and short flights before I saw the cloud start to break. I had a coffee break while I watched the patches of sunshine heading towards me then, at last, I felt the warmth of the sun on my back and a gentle breeze in my face.

I hooked it up, launched and watched it go vertical up the line followed by a healthy ping off the top.

Up til then it had been a case of trying to keep it airborne as long as possible but now it went straight into a thermal and within a few turns it was up to the inversion. It held height for a while but then started to gently descend. I could feel the breeze on my face again so I scooted off downwind and it was soon climbing again til it specked out before I had to bring it back. Then I saw a pair of Buzzards thermalling between me and my glider so I put the nose down and brought it quickly into their circle. Off it went again like a homesick angel before the thermal slowly faded and the Buzzards went on their way while I returned to the field for a perfect spot landing under full crow.

The weather had finally broken and I had regained the buzz of thermal soaring for the first time in twenty yearslaugh

Can't wait for the summer boomers, what a superb gliderthumbs up