Benefits of the lockdown

Former Member

Our group off friends from work had a very enjoyable on-line quiz yesterday evening, with a few drinks. It went very well and we had a good laugh whilst the scores were being tallied for each round. The technology for staying in touch through Skype and other online services is working very well. We would never have done that without all being at home at the same time and we plan to do it every week - this week's quiz winners get to set the next week's quiz.

Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 03/04/2020 20:46:45:

8 minutes to work instead of 45

8 MINUTES?

I just timed my new daily commute. I suppose it depends what part of the house I start from, but starting from here - stand up, walk across the landing, into my younger daughter's old bedroom (she's in Canada right now) and sit down, I made that 8 seconds!

Downside to that is that I tend to spend longer at work than when I had to drive 40 minutes there and 40 minutes back again.

One upside to the current situation is my permitted/mandated(?) daily exercise. I blew the dust off my old bicycle that previously had one outing a year, and have gone out for a (socially distanced!) ride after work each day. Last week I clocked nearly 60 km, the week before 46 km. OK, that's nothing, I'm sure, compared to what some people do, but it's a start! I'm also finding roads and paths and my locality that I have never seen before.

Dug out the mangled remains of a DB Piper Cub from the loft. Have stripped it of covering and now in process of making repairs to the fuselage.....wings and tail beyond repair but enjoying spending the time redrawing a plan to build a new set from.

I have now become brave enough to carve in to my Dual Ace wings to take out the fixed U/C and fit electric retracts.

Got the wings in jigs and having to cut one rib and a chunk of under wing skin.. This will be beefed up with ply. Trying to do this with surgical care.

I have also converted it to EP. I would have put all this off if I didn't have this spare time to get it exactly right.

Estimates show that with batteries, it will be about 1lb lighter than in its i/c form.

Accidents on UK roads,

Statistics on reported road casualties in Great Britain for the year ending 2019 show there were: 1,870 reported deaths. 27,820 seriously injured.

With much less traffic on the roads hopefully there will be fewer accidents.

Not much consolation, but good news none the less.

Edited By Chris Walby on 05/04/2020 07:18:27

Whilst we still can, I'm going out for my daily exercise on my bike - and yesterday it almost seemed at times that I could have maintained a 2 km social distancing, rather than just the 2 metres!

This was the M25 at 5pm on Saturday as I crossed over it. The only time I've seen it quieter than that was before it opened!

m25quiet.jpg

Posted by fly boy3 on 06/04/2020 12:30:40:

As I live alone, and old lol, my family are urging me to join Facebook for better communication between us all. Do you think this is a good or bad thing ? Cheers

Yep, I do, use it for positive things and groups you enjoy, there's some real rubbish on, but you only join what you choose, get signed up FB3.

If you have a smartphone, Whatsapp is very good and I feel it has less potential to expose you to fraud from revealing too much information publicly. You can communicate individually or in groups - as well as being able to communicate with family and friends, my club has an active group of like-minded friends who continue the club banter on-line.

Posting pictures and videos is easy - for instance, we had a winter build programme where numerous Peter Miller Ohmens were built by both experienced and novice builders and it was a great way for the beginners to ask questions and get guidance with pictures of their problems and solutions readily exchanged.

Edited By Martin Harris on 06/04/2020 17:47:15