Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Rich

Spent many an hour at Andrews field back in the day, was somewhat shocked to see all the industrial there a few years ago but it had to happen I guess.

On the subject of Polish pilots Lanny Lanowski is not widely known, a Polish colleague who was very much into WW2 aviation and around the time the film 303 came out which he thought was pretty poor had not heard of him, I and many other visitors to the Fighter Meet shows at North Weald in the early 80’s were lucky enough to meet this guy who had an R/C model, built as static, of a P47 on top of his beige mini metro, he had various memorabilia on a table in front of him, initially you thought he was selling stuff off but no it was far better than that, he was telling of his flying exploits in Poland, UK and finally the US Airforce, this was my first of many encounters and most pleasurable audiences with Witold ‘Lanny’ Lanowski.

His son Krys keeps a Facebook page to honour his Father and he does talks on the subject and what a subject!

Lanny’s book ‘Out in Front’ is a must read for those that thrive on wartime pilot biographies like I do.

Witold ‘Lanny’ Lanowski

Edited By Nigel Dell on 25/11/2020 10:39:02

Getting hold of motors is a bit of a drag at the moment as the usual supplies seem to have dried up .

The FMS Predator motor 580K 4250 is ideal , but they dont come with a motor mount .

The hole spacing is different on pretty much every motor , so you could buy five on the internet and still not find a winner .

To solve that problem I have pestered the machine shop to do a small batch .

I have some here and will send them out post free ,including the mounting screws for £6 .

At least it is an option to get these models flying .

Richard

Richard , could you save one of your motor mounts for me please, i have a Predator motor on order from Wheelspin at the moment. Could you also send me a set of retracts, let me know how much and I send a cheque to cover, oh by the way the prop blade packers arrived recently, as usual above and beyond service, regards Geoff.

Hey progress.....

Well the second wing is at the same build level..

Time to join them.

But before you do you will need to trim the main spar brace at the front as this will foul the sheeting in the wheel well.

main spare trim.jpg

You need to reduce the length of these by about 4 mm.

wheel well obstruction.jpg

And now the joining...

We are gathered here today..... oopps wrong type of joining

wing joining.jpg

A big thanks to Ron for sending me a sample of the covering method he uses, laminate film, so first a test.

laminate tests.jpg

It goes on a treat and to test adhesion pulled a piece off and as you can see it stripped a layer of balsa with it showing how well it is fixed in place. it also fits curves very well.

The thing that impressed me was the increased strength it added to the balsa. I am going to cover this model in it.

Again thanks Ron.

After covering a flap it was time to undertake the challenge of fitting it in place.

Now whilst contemplating my navel I thought of an idea and it turned out a reasonably easy fit.

First remove a small piece from the rib to allow access.

remove for flap fitting.jpg

Glue torsion bar into flap and allow to dry fully.

glue torsion bar.jpg

Make sure that the hinge material is only a fraction longer than the torsion bar as it's a tight squeeze if you leave it too long.

Drop the flap in and align the hinges with your pre-cut slots you already made.

drop flap into place.jpg

Push home, Pin and glue... job done!

Easy...wink

flap fitted and pinned.jpg

The plate for the flap servo is DIFFERENT from the production models as previously mentioned but I wanted to share this solution for the flaps as it allows gluing the torsion bar in without risk of getting glue everywhere and having the flaps glued solid. I will 'patch' the material removed and post that later.

Posted by Paul Johnson 4 on 29/11/2020 13:06:29:

A big thanks to Ron for sending me a sample of the covering method he uses, laminate film, so first a test.

laminate tests.jpg

It goes on a treat and to test adhesion pulled a piece off and as you can see it stripped a layer of balsa with it showing how well it is fixed in place. it also fits curves very well.

The thing that impressed me was the increased strength it added to the balsa. I am going to cover this model in it.

Again thanks Ron.

Hi Paul,

Good to see another convert to laminating film. The only problem I have found is that it's not too good going round things like wing tips. One big advantage as well as its strength is that it doesn't stick to itself unlike other films.

Perhaps Ron can advise us. When I bought mine a few years ago I could only get 70 microns which I feel is a tiny bit heavy. What thickness is yours Ron?.

Posted by Graham R on 29/11/2020 16:13:14:

Hi Paul,

Good to see another convert to laminating film. The only problem I have found is that it's not too good going round things like wing tips. One big advantage as well as its strength is that it doesn't stick to itself unlike other films.

Perhaps Ron can advise us. When I bought mine a few years ago I could only get 70 microns which I feel is a tiny bit heavy. What thickness is yours Ron?.

Hi Graham,

It's 38 micron which is 1.5 thou in old money.

As per Paul, the lam film I use is 38 micron, I have tried heavy gauges but when you get up to 70 it does become difficult to form around compound curves albeit you end up with a bullet proof covering! The thing to remember with it is that it requires a bit more heat than we are generally used to using, I have my iron set to min 150 and when forming around curves you can feel it suddenly give.

Something I’m currently experimenting with is perforating it with my film perforator when applying it to smooth foam surfaces to prevent air bubbles, I do this on balsa before applying film and it works well. On foam I’m applying the film then going over it with the ‘pecker’ then going over it again with the iron, appears to be working and the holes either self seal or get filled with primer (or could be argued they are rivets!). 

Edited By Ron Gray on 30/11/2020 12:59:09

Yes I agree with Ron , Ive just been ironing some on a Spitfires tail feathers . I was surprised how much heat was needed to make it shrink . I used my favourite tool .......an electric paint stripper . Everyone should really get one . You can heat a room in about two minutes and Ive even done a bit of cooking with it . Creme Brulee is great but this year Im going to have a go at the Turkey .

The other warning I would offer chaps, is this :

While I had my little wooden handled solarfilm iron out (circa 1983) The Memsahib breezed in , in all her finery .

Now , this sought of encounter always makes me nervous , and as it turns out , I was right to be .

She said " Rather than messing about with that bloody thing and while you've got your iron out , why dont you get your Spider Man Pygamas out of the washing bin and give them a once over ? "

"Oh yes , and while youre at it , you can do the king sized Duvet cover . "

Well that was three hours ago , and I'm still at it . How can I have Tennis Elbow when Ive never played a game in my life ? The cord on my vintage iron is all frayed and so are my nerves . I'm only able to type this because I told her I needed a comfort break .

Still, my PJs look great .

I remember proudly showing my ex how I could set my helicopter blades up to 0.01 of a degree with my new Digital Inclinometer, next thing I knew I was re-hanging all the kitchen cupboards so the tins didn't all go to one end. Still got the Inclinometer.