Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Paul,

The ME109 paint scheme and finish looks superb. If I can achieve anything near to that quality I will be delighted! I have Gylnn’s decals so they should look good at least! Still some way off that stage as just sheeting the wings at the moment.

Thanks also to the tips on the tail wheel steering. I will be going with a fixed wheel. Your explanation of the take-off characteristic is spot on as when the tail wheel lifts off, any steering force contribution from the wheel is lost and the aircraft will yaw accordingly. It is also better to have the tail wheel in the scale location, rather than hung off the bottom of the rudder. Sometimes simplest is the best solution!

Rainy and cold today so should make some progress in the workshop.

Regards,

Gordon

Advert

Hi Geoff , For a fully functional , retractable and steerable unit .the FMS 109 and perhaps their P51 both have plug in units . I believe they are around £20 . As with most things at the moment , hunting one down is another matter .

The weight is not significant if you make a compensation elsewhere . So if you can chop a lot of the internal frame work away around the tail area and cover the tail surfaces with something light like laminating film , then you can reward your self with a nice little feature .

As Paul and Eric point out , that if you hang too many Baubles on the tree it will have a tendency to topple crook

Robart did use to make a nice light plastic unit that could be operated remotely from a servo .

Ah ha! Further to that, I have just seen that the Robart unit is still available but pricey at around £25 .But of course the wonderful "patent honouring " people in the east have replicated one on the HK site . It is currently out of stock but due in mid feb at a cost of ..........£4 item code SKU OR 025-00801

Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 16/01/2021 13:47:55:

Hi Geoff , For a fully functional , retractable and steerable unit .the FMS 109 and perhaps their P51 both have plug in units . I believe they are around £20 .

I used the Robart one on my Top Flite Mustang 60 build:

mustang 127.jpg

As you can see, I also fitted doors using a spreader bar and elastic bands to open and close them. Couldn't get it to work so used a 9g micro servo to operate the doors with a mix and delay to the retracr servo. Worked a treat on the bench but still have to try it in the air!

mustang 130.jpg

The reason for the long bent wire retainer is to allow the doors to be unhooked and the servo removed and replaced should it fail. The servo mounting plate is retained by the 2 servo screws you can see.

Hope that helps anyone wanting to install a retracting tailwheel and operating doors if you are so inclined.

Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 16/01/2021 13:54:13:

. . But of course the wonderful "patent honouring " people in the east have replicated one on the HK site . It is currently out of stock but due in mid feb at a cost of ..........£4 item code SKU OR 025-00801

Hmm, as it happens, I have one of those HK retractable tailwheels. I bought it years ago with a view to using it on my BT P47 but, once I realised what a big brute of a machine that was going to be, I decided that it probably wouldn’t be man enough. It may well be okay for the P51 though.

Incidentally, the unit I eventually used for the P47 was a re-purposed nosewheel retract - there’s a much wider choice of those than there is for tailwheels.

Trevor

That has been a subject of debate on another thread on this forum and has quite some pages.... Worth a read but keep your tin hat on as they get very passionate about it at times....

The experienced flyers who have setup gyros and got it to help tell of its benefits but, to the newcomers starting out in balsa bashing and warbirds have enough on their plate without having to tame a squirrel on speed.crying

Just another thing I remembered, the real thing, and many aircraft had this, used a tail wheel lock for their take off run and wheel brakes to steer with whilst taxying. As with our models of this size it's all about compromise of scale versus practicality...... now where can I get a set of disc brakes for a 3" wheel.....wink 2wink 2

Posted by Jonathan S on 16/01/2021 22:53:14:

So I have been looking at servos. Is 15g too heavy ?

Also what would be better mini or micro if they had same or similar specs.

Thx

Hi Jonathan

I don't want to point you to any particular one as I hope that by giving you a set of "parameters" it will add to your build experience and pleasure. The main thing with any build is to ensure you have a good flying model is always err on saving weight where you can.

As Richard said too many baubles......

Edited By Paul Johnson 4 on 17/01/2021 07:09:00

Slightly off topic but brother to the P51 .

Comedy thought for today .

I am just contemplating painting a P38 lightning and was thinking about masking up the invasion stripes .

Then it hjt me .

Why on earth did the P38 need invasion stripes ?

How bad did you need to be as an Allied gunner to mistakenly identify a P38 as an Axis aircraft ?

Even Mr Magoo would have spotted that one .

What a waste of paint (and effort ) smile p

Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 17/01/2021 10:08:05:

I am just contemplating painting a P38 lightning and was thinking about masking up the invasion stripes .

Then it hjt me .

How bad did you need to be as an Allied gunner to mistakenly identify a P38 as an Axis aircraft ?

Never thought about that before, but you are quite correct.

Will you be starting a new thread on the forthcoming Warbird Replicas P-38 kit.? Drool.

Posted by leccyflyer on 17/01/2021 10:42:21:
Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 17/01/2021 10:08:05:

Then it hjt me .

Never thought about that before, but you are quite correct.

Will you be starting a new thread on the forthcoming Warbird Replicas P-38 kit.? Drool.

Ha Ha ....shot yourself in the foot there Richard..!