WD40

Former Member

Posted by Pete Collins on 02/08/2020 11:06:32:

Oddly enough, according to an old lady i know, it DOES cure arthritis! Or, at least, she sprays it on her knee and insists that it helps her mobility. Perhaps someone should conduct some proper scientific tests?

Someone I used to sail with claimed exactly the same thing.

Posted by Phil Green on 02/08/2020 12:46:26:

Any serious Jimi Hendrix fans will know of the British band, the Hamsters a fantastic live band, sadly retired.

Throughout a gig their guitarist Slim would spray WD40 down the length of his guitar neck every three or four numbers. Didnt wipe it off, he just played it 'wet' smiley

That was because it left a Purple Haze. wink

Good thread Doc, for the life of me I can't remember where Brian said about not using it on phosphoru bronze, sadly a bit late to ask him now, what magazine did write under the name of "the wizard of oz"?

At the time it made sense to me to the point of never using it on bronze, oilte etc.

I only ever use it to silence squeaky door hinges although I do agree about the smell.

Doc, I used to blast everything under the fairings which areas are traditionally prone to oxidation. Especially useful on Aprilia wiring! When maintenance was needed everything came apart much more easily. It was very effective for winter protection of alloy frames too as I used to ride throughout the year in days gone by.

Re the bird muck thing, my understanding is when you wash away the muck and find the paint surface has been damaged by it, wd40 is used to soften the paint allowing it to polish easier and quicker (using t-cut or similar).

I know wasps in jars dont like it from the "experiments" we did as kids! They'd rather sting themselves to death!