Balsa shortage

thunderstreak.keith

Advert

5 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I am currently using all the 'scraps' I have.

a) Saves money; scrooge, me ?

b) saves space as I empty the scraps boxes.

I don't use much tbh so the shortage is unlikely to have affected me as much as plan builders....

GG

I've always done that anyway.  I mostly build from kits with a few plan builds but, in any case I save any potentially useful wood as well as keeping a box full of pieces of wood (various) too small to be of further use ?  (I hate cutting into a new sheet when all I need is a fragment)

Good to hear balsa is once more in stock.  Even if it's more expensive, the cost of the wood (or even a full kt) is a fraction of the cost of the completed model once you add in the power source and electronics.

Geoff

I think most modellers will not be panic buying. Now that a new supply line has been achieved it is likely to be sustained, even if at an increased cost. Also, most people who scratch build are not doing it to save money. They do it because it gives them more satisfaction than buying of the shelf. And they buy in dribs and drabs, so the cost is hardly noticeable.

• Like 1

JS, IMHO I don't agree, one sniff of an issue and (not me) people panic and stock up. Some time back one of the ic manufacturers stopped production and another manufacturer got a bunch of enquires about buying spares for engines the person didn't have (ebay resale on the cards at a inflated price no doubt).

Its like Ron posting SLEC have balsa in....Tina at SLEC will be be processing a load more orders as a bunch of people think its a good idea to stock up again...just in case.  

Its deep in peoples nature to not want to miss out...Salesmen have been exploiting it from the dawn of time 

Edited by Chris Walby

@Chris Walby I think they may get an increase in orders, not so much panic buying but from those who’ve been waiting for stock to come in. Even if there was panic buying I think that they have more than enough in stock to cater for the demand plus the supply chain has been re-established so more will be coming in.

If there is a feeling that I shouldn’t have posted that there is more stock in place, then awfully sorry (although this fact has also been posted elsewhere) (not!). But let’s face it panic buying is only an issue where quantities are in short supply.

Edited by Ron Gray

1 minute ago, Ron Gray said:

@Chris Walby I think they may get an increase in orders, not so much panic buying but from those who’ve been waiting for stock to come in. Even if there was panic buying I think that they have more than enough in stock to cater for the demand plus the supply chain has been re-established so more will be coming in.

If there is a feeling that I shouldn’t have posted that there is more stock in place, then awfully sorry (although this fact has also been posted elsewhere) (not!).

Ron. Surely that's what this forum is all about. Sharing useful information.

Just had a quick speed read. From what I was told Turbine Blades in China have took enormous amounts of balsa wood. A lot of Chinese Cities suffer smog and poor air quality. In the last 50 years they've 'suffered' or 'enjoyed' a modern industrial revolution and pollution to go along with it. I think this has been 'noticed'  and there's a scramble to power solutions that offer better air quality. Wind Turbine manufacture has really stepped up around the globe. It can't just be blamed on Chinese requirements. As far as I am aware most wind turbine blades feature composite structures and balsa features highly in this.  I'm sure that the 'Turbine' blades are not helping the supply of balsa.

It's also used in the manufacture of oil tankers and I believe the new natural gas tankers use it as a composite structure. It's also used in full size aviation composite wings etc.

The amount used in the model trade is probably very small by comparison. But there's also the Pandemic and the problems that's caused. Its a global thing and imagine everything that is happening here is happening elsewhere. Our supplier seems to have that really nice white balsa which comes from New Guinea I think  

It was always more expensive from PNG, but I think its leveled up a little now with other producers.  I found the video on Youtube re balsa from Papua New Guinea.

Does anyone remember the amazing 'white' balsa of the 90's . I think Premier brought it in from New Zealand? or Australia? 

When David Boddington was still alive, when ever we spoke he always asked about Balsa supply. He had it that it was going to get short and industry would be taking it off our table. There was always Rumours, but up until this most recent crisis I think they were always speculative Rumours. This current situation is more than that.

I have a few contacts in China and last year the model trade is China suffered 20% price rises in Balsa Prices and shortages. I'm told that the shortages seem to be not as bad as they were but the price is still higher than it was. So its global and even the Chinese Model Industry is affected. I expect that will filter through on Kit and ARTF prices eventually.

Like most things , I'll bet there's a wealth of balsa in sheds,lofts , under the bed. My own balsa stocks at home have never been lower. I haven't been large models for a long time and small models don't use as much balsa.

It seems we didn't realize how good we all had it. At its best time we had Balsa, Depron,Vector Board,Solarfilm and Solartex and now we have Balsa left, but in short supply and more expensive. Losing Solarfilm was unexpected. We really miss Solartex.  In the last few years we've gone from having some amazing materials back 50 years. Depron another huge loss to the model industry. We were just getting to grips with the wonderful Vector Board Graupner manufactured and they went. I thought the way forward was composite Balsa, Depron and Vector Board air frames.

Keep Safe and Keep Balsa Bashing ( where supplies allow)

Steve

Edited by Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models)

The last year has seen quite a rise in a lot of ARTFs, not just FMS! I bought an FMS foamy P51 1700mm 3 years ago for circa £300, it's now £500! I've gone back to balsa builds, despite the rise in price of balsa.

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 1

The fact is that life for everybody on the planet is becoming more expensive, in relative terms. Steve is right in that we are returning to lifestyles as they were 50, or more years ago. However, there is no reason why we shouldn't continue to enjoy our hobby as much as we did back then. It's just a matter of getting our priorities sorted. Do we really need to get a new mobile phone every year and is it really necessary to pay over £2.00 for a cup of coffee that you have to drink in the street ?

On a slightly different tack, it will be interesting to see what the prices are like when the swapmeets start again !

Also don't forget, although the price of balsa has gone up, 20% of that increase is taken by the government to help pay for all these injections we are all having.

Does anybody want to pay for them privately ?

Personally, I am just going to keep calm and carry on.

Just don't mention the weather around here !!! 

Edited by kevin b
Grammar

On 05/03/2021 at 15:12, Chris Walby said:

JS, IMHO I don't agree, one sniff of an issue and (not me) people panic and stock up. Some time back one of the ic manufacturers stopped production and another manufacturer got a bunch of enquires about buying spares for engines the person didn't have (ebay resale on the cards at a inflated price no doubt).

Its like Ron posting SLEC have balsa in....Tina at SLEC will be be processing a load more orders as a bunch of people think its a good idea to stock up again...just in case.  

Its deep in peoples nature to not want to miss out...Salesmen have been exploiting it from the dawn of time 

What I meant to say is: I keep a stock of balsa - enough for another plane - by topping it up in dribs and drabs (e.g., when I go to model shows). Yes it's human nature to protect one's own supply. But it is not the same as panic-buying.

• 4 weeks later...

Beware of balsa bundles, a friend gave me a couple of his he bought at a show but never un-bundled. When I looked closely all the sheets were tapered across the width and the length. There was very little useful wood for building models although I used some to make a mould box for a canopy where it would have been a waste to use the good stuff I had.