Flying with Spectacles

I know that this thread is about flying with spectacles but have you not ever considered contact lenses Nigel? I have worn hard contact lenses for 45 years. As far as I am concerned they are just 'fit and forget' and I have never found the hard lenses uncomfortable in any way, (unless an eyelash should fall in my eye).. Since the age of 50 I have worn bifocal contact lenses which means I can use this laptop but be able to look into the distance maintaining a sharp focus. The lenses are not like vari-focals but concentric, with the eye and brain sorting out what you see. They take a day or so to get used to. Hard lenses provide sharper visual acuity than soft lenses and are better for your eyes apparently, the gas permeable ones permit more oxygen to the cornea. Other fringe benefits are that you can wear regular sunglasses, lenses don't mist up and they enable you to peal onions without crying! The downside is that they are expensive, about the same price as a quality pair of glasses and all you have to show for it are a couple of pieces of tiny plastic! You should also replace them approximately every two years, which reminds me, mine are three years old now, so I better make an appointment with my optician!

Ive always had long vision and needed glasses for close up from my mid 20's . Later moved to bi focals as age caught up and my distance vision went off slightly . Then cataracts came along ! had them done and bingo vision and brightness restored . I opted for distance lenses to be fitted in my eyes and have glasses for reading/close up and they have tweaked for the distance vision . Never tried vari-focals but my bi-focals work well for me . It all down to the individual I guess

Posted by Ray Wood 4 on 10/01/2021 10:39:12:

Hi All,

Just a thought, Varifocals are great for everyday, driving, flying, modelling etc, but I'm on the screen all day for work and cheaper readers are better ! as with Varifocals you will find yourself tipping your head back and looking down your nose to focus on the screen

Regards Ray

I thought that, until I got top range varifocals.

You don't end up tilting your head at all, your eyes and brain adapt.

Within a week, the readers went in the bin...

Nigel, as you use a computer at work I would strongly recommend an Occupational pair for work (otherwise you will get a stiff neck because of holding your head back to see the screen clearly -ask me how I know!).

Distortion etc depends on how strong your prescription is. When moving your head sideways with your eyes on a fixed spot there is a point where sharpness declines and this increases with the stronger your prescription. Thinner version lens have less of this distortion and have the advantage of being lighter on the nose, but are more expensive. If your prescription is strong don't have reactalite type lens as this adds weight, few people seem to find these satisfactory.

My experience is that you are best to pick the same frame for all the pairs as it helps with interchangeability, the only downside is identifying which one you pick up - remedied by a secret mark on the inside of the frame or in my case I had the slightly thicker lens for the Occupational which made it easy to identify and wasn't as critical for vision.

Some of the posters above are long sighted so the comments are not applicable to you. Everyone's experience is slightly different and as you get older your opinion develops with it. At the age you are now your eyes will probably settle down and change less. From 60 mine have slowly improved for distance but noticeably worsened for close up.

Before I retired I used to spend a lot of time using a PC with a desk mounted screen, separate single vision glasses were provided by my employer and worked fine. ( I think they are legally required to provide you with suitable computer specs if you need them). Since retiring, I find that varifocals generally work fine when using a laptop as I am usually looking down at the screen/keyboard rather than straight ahead as was the case when using the computer at work.

It is a bit of a dilemma to be honest.

I’ve had the distance issue all my life, but it is a pretty mild prescription. To be honest I can manage without and is really only noticeable when reading roadsigns in the distance when driving.

I have often found myself driving and flying without my glasses without noticing.

And then was the extent of my eyesight issues until around 50 years old, then my reading (and computer screen) sight started to drop off and seems to get a little worse with each year.

Beyond a metre I am fine, but below that for computer use and reading I need glasses - without it is pretty much a blur.

I’m an IT consultant so on computers practically all day.

So my absolute need is computer/reading/craft near sight and I suspect the occupational lenses will be best for that.

The annoyance with flying is that I can do without distance glasses but they do help a little, but when wearing them I can’t see my TX screen at all. It would be nice to do both. Likewise, when I am driving I can’t read detail on the dashboard.

I absolutely get the need for the occupationals but should I get some varifocals too. I know it is best to ask the optician but it is always in the back of my mind that they would prefer to sell two sets of glasses rather than one.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

If you mostly use a laptop on the desk Varifocals will be fine as you are naturally looking down, but if you use a big monitor at the correct height ie looking straight ahead like I do, and as Shaun mentioned they are no good irrespective of how expensive they are as you will be using the distance part of the lens.

Regards Ray

Posted by Ray Wood 4 on 10/01/2021 12:57:10:

Hi Nigel,

If you mostly use a laptop on the desk Varifocals will be fine as you are naturally looking down, but if you use a big monitor at the correct height ie looking straight ahead like I do, and as Shaun mentioned they are no good irrespective of how expensive they are as you will be using the distance part of the lens.

Regards Ray

Thanks, that is very useful. It is what I thought to be honest - we are supposed to have monitors but as I travel around it doesn’t always work like that. Even when I do have a monitor I then to use it as a second screen along with my laptop screen.

Sounds like I definitely need the occupationals and I feel happy with that purchase because I feel that I’m getting value for money because it covers where my eyesight is bad.

Then whether I get varifocals which will cost the best part of £300, less keen on that because it doesn’t feel great value for money because my eyesight isn’t so bad beyond 1m.

I currently have a set of RapidEyeWear Innovation Plus (the ones advertised in BMFA News) with a single prescription. If I vontinue using them I would need to get the prescription changed but I notice that they also do bifocals - has anyone tried those - my gut feel is that they are on the cheap side so my not be that good.

Cheers,

Nigel

I have worn glasses since I was 11 so a very long time now. Once I had a pair of bifocals as a work pair because work would not pay for varifocals when they first came out. They were a disaster for me.

I went to varifocals and haven't looked back since then. (Sorry about the pun!). I have a fairly strong prescription but I just put them on first thing in the morning and take them off last thing at night.

My sunglasses are a pair of varifocals with a gradient tint on, dark at top going to very light at the bottom. Big lenses to give good eye shading. They are great for flying. Can see to fettle models and look at screens through the light part and fly through the darker part.

One thing I would say is do not go for a set of lenses which are too shallow from top to bottom as the transition can be too quick. Slightly deeper lenses give a slower transition which is better in my opinion.

Maxg

Like you Nigel I sit at a computer screen (s) for far too many hours in the day, if I’m not working (IT) I’m surfing the ‘net or 3D print designing. I have found that my varifocals allow me to work at my desktop screens, my laptop, iPads etc without any head tilting. The same pair are great for driving as I can clearly see road signs and the dials on the dashboard, are great for building board work and also out in the field flying / fiddling about with ‘planes.

When I went to get my glasses the optician went through the type of use I would need them for and made copious notes about computer screen distance and position from chair plus position I was comfortable reading a book from plus they wanted a clearer understanding of the model flying side of things. These, as I understand it, gave them sufficient information to allow them to make the lenses with suitable lens areas for my needs. When I got them I wasn’t quite happy with the setting they had for computer work, no problem they made some more which were ‘ are spot on. Yes, they weren’t cheap but you pays your money etc etc.

I was the same age and experienced EXACTLY the same problem. My optician said I had the beginnings of cataracts, but they weren't 'mature' enough for treatment. In reality, the NHS won't do a cataract op until you're half blind, but you can have it done privately. Cataracts ONLY get worse, so I went ahead with the private option.

NHS implant lenses are OK, but the private sector can offer far better ones, including astigmatism correction. You can also 'choose' what prescription implants to have.

Mine are Zeiss -2.50 and astigmatism corrective. I wear single vision glasses for perfect distance sight. Without (or underneath) my glasses I can easily read my Transmitter, a book, newspaper and computer screen.

With a dirt cheap pair of +2.5 reading glasses I can focus down to about 6 inches for soldering and very fine work. I am absolutely over the moon with the results.

Downside is cost of course - expect about £1700 per eye.

Nigel, Occupational lens are normally varifocal, the difference is that the changover point is higher up the lens so that you can read/see screen clearly further up the lens so you don't have to tilt your head back. Its just that you don't get as much lens area for distance

Posted by i12fly on 10/01/2021 17:01:55:

Nigel, Occupational lens are normally varifocal, the difference is that the changover point is higher up the lens so that you can read/see screen clearly further up the lens so you don't have to tilt your head back. Its just that you don't get as much lens area for distance

Occupational lenses, well the ones that have been suggested to me, only have two regions, the upper set at computer monitor distance and the lower set to reading distance.

I have single vision for IT at the moment, they are great at the computer but then when I glance down to read or write something the distance is a little too great so is a little out of focus which puts strain on my eyes.

Varifocal lenses have three or four different vision zones.

Cheers,

Nigel

Posted by Ron Gray on 10/01/2021 13:29:00:

When I went to get my glasses the optician went through the type of use I would need them for and made copious notes about computer screen distance and position from chair plus position I was comfortable reading a book from plus they wanted a clearer understanding of the model flying side of things. These, as I understand it, gave them sufficient information to allow them to make the lenses with suitable lens areas for my needs. When I got them I wasn’t quite happy with the setting they had for computer work, no problem they made some more which were ‘ are spot on. Yes, they weren’t cheap but you pays your money etc etc.

I had my test done at SpecSavers. Generally I have found them good, not the cheapest on their own but with their two for one deals they come out pretty good.

Still expensive though - I appreciate that I could spend a lot more but even with SpecSavers I'm looking at £300 for varifocals. SpecSavers don't put in as much attention as you describe though. I had a previous go with 'occupationals' where I was looking for something to negate the need for a headband visor for my plastic model making. I explained exactly what I needed, I took in my optivisor, told them the dioptre of the lens, showed them examples of wargaming figures that I make and paint. I even questions whether what I was asking for was even possible. Of course I was told it was, collected them and the detail section wasn't even close to my optivsor headband. I took them back querying and was very surprised to hear "what you were asking for isn't possible so we just did the best we could". They did refund, but it annoyed me that they ignored what I asked for, rather than saying "it wasn't possible" decided to chase the sale instead.

Back to varifocals - if I were confident that £300 would do everything I need (for the next two years), if they were all I was buying, then that wouldn't be a problem. But if I need the occupational as well that is another £200.

Again, £500 is a lot of money but I would pay it if I were certain of getting a good solution.

Cheers,

Nigel

I've had bifocals for over thirty years. When I asked my optician about varifocals, I was advised against as the varying bands of different focal lengths were very narrow and as my major problem was astigmatism they would most likely not be suitable. A couple of other people I know have tried varifocals and couldn't come to terms with them and reverted either to two pairs of specs or bifocals.

Malcolm

A good independent optometrist is essential (my latter one, prior to retirement, did locum work for one of the big brand multiples) and careful fitting of the lens and frame combination is crucial. Function over style is likely to be more satisfactory. Mine have been absolutely fine for work, a computer screen, driving (where the lower section gives the instruments in focus) and flying, although I habitually wear amber over glasses to increase contrast and aid orientation in all but very bright light.

oddly, I tried grey and brown for sunlight but still find the amber best in 95% of conditions.

As well as the points made above re brain adjustment, I think what happens if you persist with varifocals is that you subconsciously position the head to optimise focus. I recall it feeling odd for a week then never noticed it again. The present wife couldn’t get on with them at all.

Remaldi Nightsight overglasses from The Optical Shop, Yeadon, Leeds ,0113 2391400, www.yeadonopticalshop.com were £15-odd or two for £25-ish although I notice that my firm has a “to let” board nearby so not sure they’re still open. They’re known as Joe 90s but do afford some protection from side winds.

If they cost £300, as I recall my current varis did, they only need to save a long range episode of disorientation or numb thumbs and you’re probably in front.

BTC

I started to need reading glasses occasionally from the age of about 49, not essential but I felt more comfortable with them and had to pay lots for some very weak ones, no Pound Stores around in those days.

I later needed distance ones too and tried bifocals but did not like them and went to Vision Express for some varifocals. Big mistake going there, I could only read one word at a time on a newspaper held as low as I could get it. They fiddled around bending the frames with a hairdryer but to no avail and eventually admitted that the frames I chose were not suitable for that type of lens so I got a different sort. Talk about a bunch of amateurs, I should have gone to Specsavers.

These were costing me £500 every two years so after much thought went to Ultralase in Harley St. They went through the various options with me and because I said that stereo long distance was a must have I went for this at a cost of £4000. All was not well however. At one of the interviews I was told that I would have the best of both worlds for about two weeks until my eyes had stabilised, close up and distance. I came out of the surgery as though as though looking through fog which is normal then after 10mins. the doctor came in and thrust a piece of paper in front of me expecting me to be able to read it. All I could see was a grey splurge but he said that it was fine because it meant that they had got the laser prescription spot on. Really?

On the train home a few hours later the fog disappeared and I could see anything further than 4ft away perfectly.

I later discovered that my dominant left eye was out of focus but they could do nothing until six months had elapsed by which time they said that my eyes were close enough not to warrant further treatment. This varies from day to day but I still cannot focus on a model properly.

Please do not let the above deter you from having this treatment because it is probably the best thing I have ever spent four grand on. If I now sit back a couple of feet I can read this.

Posted by Bruce Collinson on 10/01/2021 19:49:59:

If they cost £300, as I recall my current varis did, they only need to save a long range episode of disorientation or numb thumbs and you’re probably in front.

No problem with £300 if that is the answer - don’t forget that, for me, that is £300 every two years.

Also don’t forget that my distance eyesight is not that bad, beyond about 2m I can function without glasses. Spectacles do make things a little sharper but there isn’t a lot in it.

But if the varifocals work for work then fantastic, £300 is a bargain but I am also faced with the prospect of an additional £200 for the occupationals - so £500 every two years.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi,

Thinking I may be coming across as awkward and ignoring advice. Hope not, I certainly don't mean too and I apologise if I am, I appreciate all the feedback.

What I have learned from this thread so far is that I may have asked the wrong question - or just one of the questions that is important to me.

I asked are varifocals okay for flying - the consensus seems to be that they are very good - so I can tick that one off as answered.

The other question, it dawns on me, is whether varifocals are any good for computer work. The answer to that doesn't seem to be so clear cut, some have no problems and others are saying that they are not so good.

My other issue is that my eyesight issues are at most a problem under 2 metres or so.

So my question about the value of varifocals at £300 is not so much about the money but whether they are worthwhile if they are are mostly dealing with 2m and below and not so good at that.

My problem with flying remains though. If I wear single prescription distance lenses I can see to fly. If I don't wear glasses at all I can also see to fly, though not quite as sharp. But in either case if I look down at the transmitter I can't really see it.

Cheers,

Nigel

My occupational glasses were definitely varifocal, graduated from close up to long distance, which was a good thing as the office was 150ft long through the doorway. I use Specsavers, I guess the quality of the tests they do depends on the expertise of the optician, but our local branch is very good and thorough

An anecdote to amuse you gentlemen (hopefully!).

Last Spring, just before the lockdown, I went for a quiet flying session, on my own, in a field close to home (10 min. walk).
I didn't fly well, my circuits weren't very accurate, my landings were a bit untidy and, after an hour or two I returned home thinking that maybe I'm just getting old (81) and maybe I should limit my flying to gentle vintage planes...
But at least I hadn't broken anything and the model went home intact...

It wasn't until I got to the "putting things away and tidying up" phase, at home, that I realised that I'd been through an entire flying session wearing my reading glasses...

Edited By brokenenglish on 11/01/2021 06:55:46

Edited By brokenenglish on 11/01/2021 06:57:19

I've worn varifocals for 20 years or so, and find them great for flying and driving. When I worked, they were also fine for desktop or laptop use. However, for detail close-up modelling work I normally put on a pair of cheap, quite strong, reading glasses. In sunny weather, I use properly fitted clip-on polarised sunglasses.

Like you, Nigel, I have had mild long distance correction since my late teens, then the near vision started going in my late 40s. Some other observations:

I've used the same small opticians practice for 50 years, they aren't as cheap as High Street chains but according to a friend who recently moved there, take more care.

Varifocals work best with larger frames - shallow, slitty styles have much smaller zones for the different prescriptions.

It's worth paying the extra for the better quality varifocals - my current pair were about £400, but as I wear them all day every day the cost per hour is low.

Finally, varifocals don't suit everyone - my wife couldn't get on with them and wears bifocals, but she has a very different prescription to me, being long sighted.

Hope you get it sorted.

Endorse the comments above regarding varifocals , used for many years for everything but have a pair of strong reading glasses for close up work.

For a long time I also had the Vari lux or self darkening lens. They used to cover all my flying needs and close encounters with the sun were not a problem. Last autumn however I had a couple of issues where I lost the model above the tree line in indifferent lighting . The model just faded from view ( and never returned!). Consulted with optician but could not find a specific eye problem.

The optician suggested coloured filters as used by clay pigeon shooters as they can enhance the contrast in difficult lighting. Yellow (also for night driving) and bronze colours seemed favourite. If you get polarised versions the results are even better. Some of this coincided with my first slope soaring session in 25 Knt winds when the use of ski goggles seemed deregour. First benefit was stopping eyes running but as I found out when making use of my yellow tinted goggles , the increase in clarity was really noticeable, indeed for me amazing. I wore them over my now clear lens varifocals.
So now for all types of flying I have a choice of coloured ,polarised clip ons as well. For really bright days I have a pair of dark prescription Polaroids and of course for the slope I still have the ski goggles.

Long story but nothing is as straightforward as you think, particularly as your eyes get older it seems. Seems to have cured my disappearing model problem .... for now.

Tim