Car replacement - Looking for real world advice

Steve Colman

With the support of my other half I'm looking to replace my VW Golf with something more versatile and practical and have decided that one of the MPV van deriviatives would make a good choice.  I'm thinking about model transport/storage, possibility of use as a simple weekend/overnight camper as well as use as a daily driver.

After some preliminary investigations via the net three models seem to be most common, and as always each has it's particular strengths and weaknesses. Therefore I am hoping that some of you on the forum have some experience with these three vehicles and would be kind enough to take the time to give me your real world opinion of them.

The three in question in no particlar order are:

Ford Tourneo Connect

Citroen Berlingo (including Puegeot/Opel deriviatives)

Fiat Doblo

Many thanks in advance.

Steve.

• Like 1

Advert

hello steve,i've had a Berlingo,Peugeot partner and now have a Vauxhall combo life...1.5 diesel/55mph,i tow a caravan also.....the three cars are made by the same company with different badges on them.the diesel unit in them was developed between Peugeot and Ford and is used in many different models and is a goodin.....check out a lot of taxi's use the same motor.......any more info ,fire away.

ken anderson...ne..1..... Vauxhall combo life diesel..... dept. 

PS.....the Peugeot rifter is the same car as the above one's also.

Many thanks Ken.

The Vauxhall Combo Life is sold under the Opel badge here in Spain and I am aware of the Rifter also. Thank you for the info about diesel engine as I do plan to go the diesel route.

One question about the Berlingo/Rifter/Combo life I would like answered is about the rear seats. In the Ford and Fiat the rear seats are fully removable leaving a completely flat rear bed. I know the rear seats of the Berlingo only fold down and from what I've seen in videos they do not seem to fold down completely flat and level with the bed. Can you confirm this please.

Drive them all before you decide.

I have an issue with the Peugeot / Citroen / Vauxhaul vans and the position of the gearstick. It pushes my clutch leg across to the right and after a long journey my leg goes to sleep, so when I get out I end up in a heap on the floor.

A while ago I bought a Fiat Doblo extra high roof from a friend for the scrap value, understanding that I could get most of my money back from a scrapyard if it was u/s, which unfortunately it was, but with the rear seats removed it would have been a good motor with plenty of room and at least 50 mpg from the 1275 diesel. They sell these as small campers for a lot of money.

As a modeller and at the time wanting a vehicle which could possibly be used for business I bought a Ford Transit LWB High Top after a long search for a good one. Did not need it for business in the end but it is so cheap to run and very useful that I decided to keep it. That was 10 years ago and the best thing I have ever invested in. 2001 and still only 154,000 miles since I only do 2,000 a year in it. Put in a crude kitchen with a cupboard, sink, cooker, fold down bed and a large fridge and still room for two 1/4 scale biplanes fully assembled. Not the sort of thing to squeeze into a Tescos parking space but I have a car too.

I have experience of all the vehicles mentioned, plus many others having been involved in repairing crashed ones for many years.

I have never been a great lover of Ford cars, but their vans have always have always held good value if they have been well looked after. Of your choice, I would go for the Ford, as it is likely to be the most reliable. It will also have the largest interior, particularly if you get the longer wheelbase version. The VW Caddy Maxi is also very good. Don’t know if the seats take out though.

You haven’t said if you are looking at new, or used. That will also make a difference.

Thank you all very much for your replies so far, lots of food for thought.

Martin, I love the idea of buying a basic van and doing a camper conversion and have thought about it many times, but it's just not a viable option for me as I have no private outside parking upon which I could conveniently work on the van.

Kevin b, you bring up a very important point re new or used. I'll be looking for something used up to 5 years old with a reasonable mileage. I have no need for modern bells and whistles like infotainment systems and screens, bluetooth connectivity, etc. However, USB for phone charging would be useful. 

Thanks again everyone.   

Edited by Steve Colman

I bought a 2013 Mk II 2.2 TDCI S Max four years ago, it replaced a 1997 Mk I 2.8 VR6 Galaxy.

The Galaxy had silly fuel consumption and the seats were very heavy to remove, I drove it to the dealers to part ex for the S Max, they scrapped it.

The rear seats in the S Max fold flat in a couple of minutes, the rear (third row) seats are almost always folded down anyway to provide a boot space.

I enjoy driving it though it is most at home on the motorway. The S Max, Galaxy and Mondeo estate of this era share the same chassis and floor plan. The only real difference between the S Max and the Galaxy is six inches in roof height. 

Finding a nice used S Max without hidden mechanical problems is a bit of a minefield but there are good ones out there.

This photo is it packed for the Silent Flight Nationals with competition gliders, some sport gliders, an F3J winch, battery and camping gear.

20170525_112700698_iOS.thumb.jpg.6acbbe50ed2a17c9989b2eed36fc63b3.jpg

Why go for a van based model ? If you want a load lugger then a Volvo V70 2.4 5 cyl diesel is a hard one to beat . In manual it will do 31 to 33 on short trips and around town. On long journeys it will do 45/47 and is very comfortable . The auto does a bit less MPG especially in town . Back seats fold flat so has a large load area and the front passenger seat will fold forward onto the dash giving lot more room for 8 or 9 foot wings etc . They are no slouch either 

They also do a 2 ltre 5 cyl diesel and a 2.2 4 cyl both nice reliable engines . A 1.6 is available but its woefully under-powered on the motorway making overtaking IMO dangerous.

A Jaguar Sportbrake will carry a good load but not as much as the Volvo but is quicker has a bit more style and still gives 45/50 MPG on a run and 30 plus around town in automatic drive. Cant speak about the manual as its very rare and only to special order.

The big people carriers will obviously carry more but driving a large van based vehicle around for shopping etc is not my idea of fun .

Just have some fun and test drive, a proper test drive and not just round the block, a few 

A clubmate is foreman mechanic in a local garage and he said in conversation that in his experience Mercedes  Sprinters were better built and far more reliable  than Ford Transits  especially at higher mileages, something to bear in mind if buying  one with a few miles on the clock. But of course residual price  probably reflects this.

Thank you all very much for your replies gents, all are thought provoking and interesting suggestions.

I have considered estates but would prefer something similar to my opening suggestions which include sliding rear doors and a higher roof line for practical reasons.

Large Transits and Sprinters are out of the question because I simply don't have the space. I park in a shared underground car park and at times it's difficult enough to manouevre my Golf in place and then easily access the inside of the vehicle, hence my preference for sliding doors.

Also, as I stated in my opening post, I would very much like something I could also use as an occasional camper where the higher roof of the models I have mentioned would be preferable.

As for shopping, my other half has a Fiat Panda which we use for that and other little jaunts around town.

One thing you should consider is whether the vehicle will fall foul of the increasing Low Emission Zones.     My brother once had a Peugeot Partner based motor caravan which even though it was purpose built from new as a motor caravan was actually shown as a van in the 'logbook'.   This meant when they introduced a Low Emission Zone for GreaterLondon he would only have been able to drive about 5 miles West to be unable to drive further!    This was years ago- things are getting worse by the day now!     He managed to re-register as a motor caravan and was then able to drive into the Zone.     But it shows what you need to consider if you live anywhere near a city.    Vans that don't comply might become very cheap or even worthless quite easily.

Personally I would suggest a box trailer might be worth considering and towing with a hybrid car.