Help required

wingcoax

Advert

You will have to set the computer to mode 2, there is usually a menu for it but its hidden to prevent accidental mode changes. Never tried it on a 6k but i think its possible. I suggest to flick through the big book of words that came with it. If not, the shop you got it from might be able to help. 

If that all fails, someone with direct experience here can probably help you ? 

The trip was for other reasons, BUT with the cost of balsa over here and the cost of postage it would have been foolish not to take advantage of having all the storage space in my motorhome and carry it for free. I should point out that my nearest shop is a full day round trip.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I can remeber, those who learned to fly in east London are mostly Mode 1 fliers and those who learned in west London are mostly Mode 2 but I could be mistaken, it's been over forty years since I lived in London.

When I was a member of the Shropshire Model Flying Club, I would estimate that 30-40% of the membership were Mode 1 but novice fliers nearly all turned up with Mode 2 sets. Here in France, I am the only Mode 2 flier in my club. We have a membership of thirty.

Have you managed to convert your transmitter yet Wingcoax?

I have in the past connected a mode 1 tx to my trusty FF9 and the tx computer sorted it out .  So if your a Mode 1 flyer and a novice with a compatible computer tx in  mode 2 configuration,or vice versa turns up there shouldn't  be any  ducking out of teaching as I have witnessed over the years. Unless of course the modern sets have had that facility removed ? Anyone tried it lately ?

2 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

I have in the past connected a mode 1 tx to my trusty FF9 and the tx computer sorted it out .  So if your a Mode 1 flyer and a novice with a compatible computer tx in  mode 2 configuration,or vice versa turns up there shouldn't  be any  ducking out of teaching as I have witnessed over the years. Unless of course the modern sets have had that facility removed ? Anyone tried it lately ?

I am an instructor at my club. All of my trainees are Mode 1 while I am Mode 2. It's not impossible!

I was taught mode 1, i think simply because most 27 meg cheapo radio sets in the day had the for and aft stick ( elevator ) on the left ?

This made for an easy transition from 2 channel r + e to 3 channel 35 meg r + e + t, then 4 channel.

My dad skitsue was/is 2 channel a+e, again an easy "natural" progression 

When the high boy came along I did question a + e on the same left stick just like a full size aircraft but was advised to think mode 1.

It's still hard wired in my head, a natural "instinct/reaction" ,a difficult habit to break guiding the slow speed drone and ninja250. Thankfully they are slow speed.

This is one reason "cadets" should start on slow long endurance 2 channel planes like a glider or slope soarer....4 channels at the begining are a real handful.

Crawl, walk, run then marathon, else crawl, then try to walk, fall over....

Having said that there are a lot of training aides these days....

I learned on Mode 1 back in the 1970s in Essex, returning to the hobby 45 years later most of the members of my local clubs fly Mode 2 so in order to get sufficient tuition time I decided to swap modes. It was a bit difficult at first, the worst problem was cutting the throttle when I wanted up elevator ?. After 3 years I think I have got the hang of it?

19 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

No problem when buddied but I don't fancy the idea of being passed/grabbing a mode 1 transmitter when a novice is in trouble...

Quite so Martin. I made a mistake when I said that I was the only Mode 2 pilot in my club, I'd forgotten about Timmi, the son of one of my other trainees Frans. Because Timmi has a pilot's licence he has opted for Mode 2. He also lives in Germany where most fliers are apparently Mode 2. He has bought a foamy electric trainer with all of the bells and whistles. I offered to buddy up to his transmitter but he chose to have me standing by his side giving him advice! He insisted on using flaps for the first take off but soon got into trouble until he switched them out. He is learning very quickly but last time he became disorientated and nearly crashed. I had to ask for the transmitter. 

Cor! Just like the old days when I was learning!

Mode 2 pretty much exclusively in my club. We have one regular visitor who is mode 1. He had to rescue a Mode 2 flyer who was not listening the other day... quite funny to see him try to fly a strange plane on a strange mode..... he still managed a perfect landing right in the middle of the runway!

I learnt Mode 1 as my 3 channel set had primay controls on separate sticks. When I had saved enough for a 4 channel set, the shop only had Mode 2 and I was too impatient to wait 6 weeks for a Mode 1 set so re-learnt on Mode 2. Been Mode 2 for 40+ years now.