Ever wondered how many models you've built?

David Davis

Have you ever wondered how many models you've built. I'm not one of those modellers who records every model he's ever built and who logs every flight but in an idle moment I made a list of all of the models which I've built. I built the first model when I was eleven years old, I am now seventy-three! I thought I'd built more but apparently not. Having said that I keep remembering other models which I have now have to add to the list!

In my case it amounts to 28 models built from kits or plans plus a further 14 which I bought ready-made, some requiring considerable refurbishment. Three of these are yet to be flown.

In addition I have assembled eight ARTFs four of them foamy electric powered models but we don't count do them do we! ?

Awaiting their turn on the building board are eight kits and an ARTF B17 Flying Fortress. I won't live long enough to build them all.

Anybody fancy a 1/6 scale Fokker DVII kit or a DB Sport & Scale 1/4 scale SE5. The Fokker is not the Flair kit but something rather more involved. Please bear in mind the cost of postage from France. PM me if interested for details.

It's not that big a list compared with that of the aeromodelling journalist Peter Russell. His "363 Delta" was apparently the 363rd model he had built!

Guess I like wine too much!

• Like 1

Advert

I, slightly effected by St Emilion, compared beloved legs to a pensioned off laying bird, rather than a spring chicken. I survived the initial blunder, but have a niggling fear that she might apply Sicilian logic, “revenge tastes better cold”

I dread to think how many I’ve built, but I’ve never been a repairer, if it’s broken, I’m often ruthless and scrap rather the repair. It’s the “all this is totally unnecessary running through my head throuout the repair process that does my head in.”

Edited by Don Fry

When I commenced my third stint into the hobby (youth to marriage, between marriages, after children needed less ferrying around), I decided I would keep a record, mainly so I could teach myself to use Microsoft Access.  

That shows 161 models in last 28 years. Petrol, Nitro, electric, foam, kit, plan, artf, rtf, indoor, outdoor, planes, helis, gliders, quads. Just this summer, I got my first second hand planes - wish I hadn't bothered tbh as they seem more trouble than they are worth - a least club funds got a small boost!

I reckon I'd need to add some more to the list from previous stints:

KK Polaris (a few times)

KK Chief

KK Invader (several times) 

KK Gypsy

KK Champ

KK Phantom

KK Phantom Mite

KK Radian

KK Caprice

KK Dolphin

KK SE5

KK Cougar (?)

KK Ace

Veron (?) Asteroid

Cambria Capstan

Flair Heron

Mijet

A blue foam 100S soarer which I think was a Nevil Mattingley design

DB Tern

A built up 120" thermal sparer from a kit whose name completely escapes me

Some plan built delta slope soarer - Cobra I think

Micromold Avenger

Probably several more I can't remember!

17 hours ago, Don Fry said:

I, slightly effected by St Emilion, compared beloved legs to a pensioned off laying bird, rather than a spring chicken. I survived the initial blunder, but have a niggling fear that she might apply Sicilian logic, “revenge tastes better cold”

I dread to think how many I’ve built, but I’ve never been a repairer, if it’s broken, I’m often ruthless and scrap rather the repair. It’s the “all this is totally unnecessary running through my head throuout the repair process that does my head in.”

I'm the opposite, out of many crashed aeroplanes over the years I've only binned, or given away the broken aeroplane, a round dozen. I've got twice that in the queue for repair -including major and minor repairs, ranging from "damage was limited to the entire airframe" cases to refinishing,  stripped servo gears or a replacement receiver.

My list of builds is quite small compared to most on here, i built quite a few as a teenager, Started by a number of KK Ezebuils then on to KK Senetor, Ajax, Dolphin, Minimoa, then a self designed glider around the same size as the Minimoa, a control line profile job and finally a FF plan build of a Jodel D9 (only half finished that one) Got into cars and racing then and left modelling till i was in my thirties and took up radio control flying, builds were confined to a Flair Cub, a Slough Models speed 400 lookalike racer, a Simprop Raz Faz, Messerschmidt 109 and a Twin Star. For the next fifteen years i bought pre owned models at swap meets and ripped out the glow motors and converted to electric what i flew, only getting into building again about three years ago. I enjoy the building side as much as the flying now and have a decent stash of kits in the long queue, i have done two seven day challenges, from box of wood to flown in seven days, first was a Nigel Hawes 400 size Tucano, second was a new build from the FF plan of the Jodel D9 i had half built as a young un. Also built since then are a Cambrian Fun Fighter ME109 and their Cassutt Racer and i am just finishing off a DB Cirrus Moth 40. Next up is a 1/4 scale Fly Baby i acquired as a part built. Retired now so looking forward to plenty more builds in the future ?

I suppose it depends how a build is qualified. From scratch? major rebuild? ARTF? plenty of my models have been rebuilds or restorations and some of my ARTF builds, like from YT, were as much work as a full build. 

If i work on the basis that i have 12 models airworthy, and can remember about 15 models i used to have but now dont, i would say that 30-35 is probably where i am at. 

My trouble is lack of hangar space and about 10-15 models in stock waiting for their time to shine. If i had more space i would get them built and most of my fleet is pretty old now with several loitering around a decade old. But i dont want to throw out a perfectly good model just because its old. Until it is either boring or unsafe to fly, or is damaged sufficiently in an accident, i will just keep flying them. 

Just checked in the roof and found 21 models or bits of models I no longer use (or not very often!). In my workshop I can count 14 that are "currently useable". Some models have been sold on to others and may still be flying somewhere.

Many of these are homebuilt or basic kits, some are "high tech moulded" models that come ready to assemble and fit your own gear, and a couple are ARTF.

Back in my early days flying control line combat we would fly and crash on  a Saturday, start building a new model on the Sunday, post the motor to PAW on Monday for a 'refurb', get it back by Friday and fit it in the new model and start the whole process over again the the next day. No idea what the total "build" number was but they were simple models and it could be dozens! Happy days ?

Dick

What a depressing thread! ?

Despite calling myself a lifelong aeromodeller, I've just done a quick reckoning which adds up to 39 - including some ARTFs which were heavily modified and justified inclusion, as well as a couple of 'well-advanced but not completed'.

That's way under 1 a year on average - I must up my run rate!

55 minutes ago, Mike T said:

What a depressing thread! ?

Despite calling myself a lifelong aeromodeller, I've just done a quick reckoning which adds up to 39 - including some ARTFs which were heavily modified and justified inclusion, as well as a couple of 'well-advanced but not completed'.

That's way under 1 a year on average - I must up my run rate!

I suppose it depends how you look at it. I would rather build less as i have crashed less than build at a frantic rate just to keep up with the fatalities! 

7 hours ago, martin collins 1 said:

Are they all your mishaps leccy?  Sounds a lot of bashed balsa, maybe a visit to spec savers needed if they are! Been flying well over twenty years and can probably count the crashes at less than ten (or maybe i am suffering from some form of memory loss!) ?

As it happens I am going to get my eyes tested tomorrow and did have a rare arrival as a result of a grey model getting away in a grey sky just last weekend. The RAF use low vis grey camouflage and markings on their Typhons for a reason. Thankfully the one inch that was snapped off the nose in the arrival was enough to find the model in the field, gleaming like a wee beacon. ?

I've definitely had many more than 10 crashes in the past twenty years, but crashes resulting in total destruction of the aeroplane amount to just seven -two of which were not with me on the sticks, plus one favourite model lost forever in the River Mersey. Most of those in the workshop for repair and TLC are refurbs, receiver or motor replacements, with only a couple badly damaged in actual crashes, but salvageable.

On 04/10/2021 at 16:10, Jon - Laser Engines said:

I suppose it depends how you look at it. I would rather build less as i have crashed less than build at a frantic rate just to keep up with the fatalities! 

Yeah, I was looking at it from the point of view of there being not much to show for the expenditure of so much blood and treasure!

Mike, glass half full fellow traveler! 
Trouble with an aircraft, take off easy, but you have to land it.

I ran a load of hours on a boat I built. I have a big river outside the house with a slip to launch. No one gives a monkeys about noise, and a 50 knot boat, on a river is Ok. Stall turns are a problem. 
But when it hit a tree coming down flood, I can’t say I was worried. Dried the bits out, and I’d not repeat.

I can only recall a handful of crashes that have resulted in the end of the airframe in the past 10 years......... lots of minor 'arrivals' that require some attention though!  And a couple of significant rebuilds.

I have a regular cull of those I am never likely to fly again; those that have been replaced but may come back into service live in the garage. There is now JUST enough room for a Fiat 500 in there.

On 04/10/2021 at 16:14, Mike T said:

What a depressing thread! ?...

Really? All I asked was have you ever wondered how many models you've built not how many you've crashed!

If anyone's interested this is my list. Descriptions were added because I first posted this thread on RC Groups and benighted Americans may never have heard of an Acrowot!

Vintage Models as defined by Sam 35, i.e; a model which first flew before 1965.

1. Keil Kraft Ajax 30" apan rubber powered free flight.
2. Keil Kraft Glider. Can't remember the name but IIRC it had twin fins.
3. Veron Cardinal 36" free flight model. Mills 75.
4. Veron Cardinal r/c.
5. Archangel. Old A2 glider
6. Gossamer small free flight competition model.
7. Tomboy.
8. Double size Tomboy.
9. Keil Kraft Junior 60.
10. Junior 60 for electric power.
11. Junior 60 from a Ben Buckle kit. I used this model to teach one of my trainee r/c pilots how to build. So I was responsible for only part of the build.
12. Uproar early four channel aerobatic model by Chris Olsen.
13. Keil Kraft Super 60.
14. Keil Kraft Super 60 from a Ben Buckle kit.
15. Big Guff. (Two fuselages!)

Other Models I Have Built

Own design control line rat racer, open combat model and team racer as a youth. As these were all built before 1965 they probably qualify as vintage!

19. St Leornard's Models Gemini 50" r/c trainer designed by Jim Baguley
20. Another Gemini produced decades later to prove that I could now fly it!
21. Uno Wot four-channel r/c trainer by Chris Foss.
22. Senior Telemaster
23. Mini Telemaster
24. Baron. Classic French trainer which looks a bit like a Great War monoplane fighter.
25. Baron. Reserve model for La Coupe Des Barons.
26. Baron. Built for a clubmate in return for a favour!
27. Sopwith One and a Half Strutter control liner recorded out of chronological sequence here. I built it in the 1970s. It was designed by Brian Sichi. I plan to build his "Guidato" one day.
28. Flair Baronette. Semi scale Fokker Triplane.

Models I have bought or been given. These have usually required the installation of the radio and engine and sometimes finishing off.

29. Roy Scott BE2e.
30. Acrowot. Chris Foss Sports aerobatic design based on a real aerobatic aeroplane, a late model Zlin I believe.
31.Acrowot.
32. Super 60. Penn Models four-channel version in Cub Yellow and Red. These were available ready to fly from the shop. ARTFs before ARTFs had ever been thought of!
33. Flair Puppeteer. Semi-scale Sopwith Pup. Great flyer. Destroyed by my inexperience!
34. Flair Puppeteer. As above!
35. SLEC T240.
36. Flair Harvard. (North American AT6)
37. Dave Smith's Models Excelsior. 60 size patternship. Wonderful flyer! Crashed beyond economical repair. redface.gif

38. Brian Taylor Harvard.
39. DB Sport & Scale Auster.
40. Dave Smith's Models Aerostar 62. As per 37 but more of an introduction to competition aerobatics.

38,39 and 40 are listed seperately because they haven't been flown yet.

I built the Ajax when I was eleven, sixty-two years ago. The first seven models were not vintage when I built them!

Oh and I forgot about the four doggy WOT 4s I bought on eBay. I restored two of them and gave the other two away. Guess what? One of them was restored by a clubmate and handed back to me!

As for crashes, I crashed a lot as a beginner and also soon after retiring to France. I was trying to land on a 10 metre wide tarmac strip with the setting sun in my eyes. Wrote off two Super 60s in a week. Having analysed what I was doing wrong, trying to land too slowly and not using the elevator to control speed, I now no longer crash so much.