4 stroke flexible headers - lifespan?

Nigel R

Gents

As a general rule, how long do you expect these flexible headers to last?

I just burnt through (or did it fail from vibration, not sure) one after maybe 90 minutes running time. Failed right at the connection to solid header.

Seems like fairly awful value for money at £30 a pop...

Advert

Its normally vibration that gets them. Where possible, tie the exhaust to the crankcase bolts on the engine mount. This means the whole engine and exhaust move together as a lump. If one end is tied to the airframe this can be an issue. 

Also they need to be well supported at multiple locations to prevent resonant vibration causing a fatigue failure. 

Thanks gents

Not sure it's worth me trying again then, I have (had?) a 5" run from solid header to silencer which is fixed to airframe... no real options for changing the route or bends, supporting on the mount is not feasible.

Maybe a less neat install is called for, using the solid header then straight into the can... functional beats fancy-but-fragile.

I have a Saito 115 in an 82" PT19 model.  It has a Saito 90 degree adapter then a Saito flexible extension tube and then the standard Saito muffler.  That combo has done over 100 flights with no breakage issues. 

However, the engine is mounted on a Dubro anti-vibration mount and the flex tube is supported at 2 points on rubber mounts and the end of the muffler is supported on a rubber mount too.

I think key to fixed exhaust systems lasting a long time is that the clamp holds them firmly but allows small high frequency movements produced by the engine.
High temperature silicone inside the clamps works well . The clamping shouldn’t be too near the header. If the exhaust is clamped rigidly it is much more likely to crack the header. I make my clamps from aluminium sheet and just run a bit of high temperature silicone inside they look similar to Dennis’s picture above. Ps it’s a good idea to let the silicone set before clamping. 

Edited by Tim Flyer

Accelerated fatigue testing is performed by putting a fixed load on a component and then applying a variable load, so if you have a tight bend and then apply vibration you are basically doing an accelerated fatigue test. 

Also very common on high pressure flexible hoses subjected to motion, i.e. production/export hoses on offshore oil production facilities, to incorporate bend stiffeners at the ends to prevent premature failure where the hose is moulded onto the end connection. 

Hmm.

Mine was one of those with the thread & nut on both ends. I assume that imparts a large degree of stress right where that coupling holds the flex pipe. That was where the pipe sheared off. No degree of 'give' in the clamping.

I'm guessing heat actually had very little to do with my failure.

As there's no chance of getting a straight run in my original go, I'll just use the existing header and live with the can itself being off centre.

Thanks again all for your replies

Edited by Nigel R

The silicone pipes beloved of the car tune-up fraternity are handmade from several layers of silicone with woven reinforcement inbetween.
There should be potential for making a reinforced silicone exhaust with all the necessary bends built in.
Something like this:  Pre-formed reinforced silicone tube

Edited by Robin Colbourne

Working in the aircraft industry for years I noticed that a lot on the sensor wires were protected from damage by being housed in st st convoluted "tube " and when  scrapped found new homes on some of my 4 strokes ! 

I also found that Saito exhaust threads are the same as brake pipe ends !!

cheers