The Works pva

Rich Griff

There is a branch of "The Works" shop in Caernarfon who stock quite a bit of craft type stuff.

They do a clear drying PVA. Has anyone used this and does it dry hard and sandable, or dry "rubbery", sandable but with rubbery gobs coming off, please ?

They do a white PVA also, does that dry clear and hard and sandable please ?

Thanks.

Advert

I bought a large De luxe Materials aliphatic resin to plank a Brian Taylor Hawker Tempest and found it worse for ridges than Evostik. I prefer Evostik resin w for structure work as it has good strength but I have found Gorilla PVA sands good and does not leave ridges . It has been on offer at some places I paid around £8 for 532ml where as De luxe materials is about £14 for a similar amount.

1 hour ago, Gary Manuel said:

H351 is classed as Carcinogen Cat 2 = Suspected of causing cancer, as opposed to Carcinogen Cat 1 = Known to cause cancer.

Treat it with respect, like all glues and chemicals and it is fine.

image.thumb.png.447052ed95c289bfe93d142193e0792a.png

This looks more like the foaming PU  glue not the aliphatic 

Not tried The Works stuff but I found that a supermarket cheap PVA in a green bottle was nothing like as strong as Evostik Resin W ( now called Evostik Wood Glue )

With any glue test a sample to destruction - glue two scraps of softwood or hardwood together, clamp & leave for 24 or 48 hours then rip apart.   If the wood doesn't tear apart without the glue giving way then it's not as good as Evostik Wood Glue/Resin W.   Even samples of beech etc have the fibres of wood give way before the glue in my tests. 

Cheap glues often have water or fillers added to make them cheap!

2 hours ago, Alan Hilton said:

Maybe but the whole thread is about pva which is fairly safe so a casual reader may get the wrong message 

My apologies to the casual reader if he misunderstood my message.

I offer no apologies to the formal reader, who will understand that the message I posted was about original Gorilla Glue because he read it properly ?.

But, as a non casual reader, the risk is equivalent to the risk diesel offers. I accept a risk. I’m horrified at the casual attitude to diesel dispensation at the pumps. But Foaming Gorilla  glue is no more dangerous.
I would suggest, own a diesel car, fill up once every couple of weeks, get contaminated, or wear gloves.

Gorilla glue, how often do you use it. Wear gloves if you can’t spread  it with a stick. Or a bit of cling film. 
It’s not evil. 

1 minute ago, Don Fry said:

But, as a non casual reader, the risk is equivalent to the risk diesel offers. I accept a risk. I’m horrified at the casual attitude to diesel dispensation at the pumps. But Foaming Gorilla  glue is no more dangerous.
I would suggest, own a diesel car, fill up once every couple of weeks, get contaminated, or wear gloves.

Gorilla glue, how often do you use it. Wear gloves if you can’t spread  it with a stick. Or a bit of cling film. 
It’s not evil. 

Yes, that's what I said, but I'm sure you already know that as a non casual reader.

I use it regularly. I don't wear gloves, masks or goggles but I do try not to get it all over my hands.