Beep- beep_beep!

Tosh McCaber

Hmm, I have just switched on my radio link for my newly rebuilt 3 ch Little Plank motor glider for the second time.  When I initially bound the Spektrum Rx to the ESC briefly for the first time a few days ago, via my Spektrum DX9 Tx, everything worked perfectly  (although I didn't actually check the motor then- so it may not have been working!). 

Today, when I plugged the battery in, I got a continuous beep- beep- beeping from the ESC.  So I unbound the Tx/ Rx, and started again from scratch and carried out a rebind again.

On rebinding, the ailerons/elevators all work as they should- no motor control, and I am getting the same continuous beep- peep- beep from the ESC.

Help!  Anyone got any thoughts?

Advert

Sounds like you need to set throttle stick movement, with most systems this is usually done by switching TX on with stick up and then moving it down ect. [ no prop to be safe ] I am a Futaba user, With Spectrum something may vary but it will be similar.

GG got there first.

Edited by J D 8
review
  • Like 1

That's right John - as a minimum failsafe you should have that failsafe set so that the motor is off on loss of signal. so it's important to bind the RX with the throttle trim all the way down with an electric model. You also need to ensure - as the chaps have said - that the ESC is calibrated to the transmitter, to "see" the full throttle range.

Thank you all.  I have just got back in, and scanned all your kind replies. 

Unplugged the ESC, with Rx battery connected, switched on Tranny, rolled the throttle trim all the way down.  Plugged the ESC back in, expecting to have to re-bind, or hear beep beep, but all was quiet!  Tried ailerons and elevator- working fine, turned up the throttle on the tranny (no prop attached!), and throttle works perfectly!

Many thanks again.  Once again, the forum has saved me!

Now, I'l take the model out and see if it flies!

• Like 2

The problem still is that the ESC isn't calibrated to the throttle chanel output, lowering the trim arms it but you are likely not able to get to full throttle. Spectrum only use 80% of what is considered to be 100% i.e. 1000 us to 2000 us which is why spectrum often has trouble activating retracts.

So if your ESC out of the box is expecting 1000 to 2000 us you will only get to 90% of full throttle for that motor.

Whether that matters to you or not is a different matter.   

To calibrate the ESC do the following, take the prop off, put throttle stick to max and turn TX on, connect the motor battery which I assume also powers the RX through a BEC, id a seperate battery is being used turn the RX on before connecting the power battery, the ESC should go into programing mode and you will know it has because it will play you a tune and not just go beep beep, once the tune is finished and it goes to something like a single beep put the throttle stick to zero, it will likely beep to acknowledge and should also arm, your ESC should now be calibrated to your TX.

The second comment just says make sure your failsafe is set if you've rebound the RX. 

1 hour ago, Tosh McCaber said:

Sorry, but the last two comments have me bamboozled!  I'm now unsure of my next step(s)!!

As you have been playing about with your throttle settings I was suggesting that your failsafe settings, which must include cutting the throttle, need checking. If it does not cut the throttle you will need to re-bind to update the failsafe.

I refer to section 3:12 of your BMFA Handbook which states:

"Electric Model Failsafes

The setting of the failsafe to, as a minimum, reduce the engine(s) speed to idle, obviously applies to all electric models too. However, given the ability to re-start the motor(s) at will, it makes sense to have the failsafe cut the motor(s) completely."

and

"Users of any failsafe capable radio equipment (PCM, DSP or 2.4 GHz) should check fail-safe operation before each flying session. With the model restrained, switch off the transmitter and ensure that all relevant controls on the model move to their pre-set fail-safe positions. Switch the transmitter on again and make sure that normal control operation returns within a few seconds. If the fail-safe does not re-set quickly there may be a fault, so DO NOT FLY.  Also remember that if the failsafe is set to retract the undercarriage the model will need supporting off the ground.

To be safe, you must take the positive step of specifying what your failsafe should do instead of leaving it set at default. Read your radio manual carefully for details of settings.

If you don’t initially understand the instructions for setting the failsafe on your equipment, then you MUST take steps to find out how to do it. This is one thing you cannot ignore and ignorance of the procedure is not an excuse that can be accepted."

Thanks again, Philip, John! 

ESC is now calibrated, following your instructions.

As well, after a bit of fiddling, (and reading the instructions in the manual), the Rx (a Spektrum AR 410 with no aerial) has now been rebound to set a failsafe.

(Admitting my ignorance- I'l need to set failsafe on my other models!!)

A good afternoon's work!

(Oh for all my old 27/35 Mh glow plug jobs!)

Edited by Tosh McCaber
  • Thanks 1

One last clarification.  The initial breakthrough came when John Davidson and Leccy told me to set the throttle trim taoll the way down, after which - no continuous beeping!

However, do I just leave the trim all the way down thereafter, or, after the initial bind, do I / can I set it back up to its central position?

Your answers will clarify!

Throttle trim should be where it was when you calibrated the ESC to the TX, if you calibrated it with the trim fully down then that is what the ESC wants to see as no throttle in order to arm so if you put the trim up after calibrating it might not arm (though most ESC's have a little leeway).

Binding has nothing to do with this part it's all about the calibration of the TX to the ESC. 

Edited by Philip Lewis 3

Some ESC actually require the throttle and trim to be set at minimum and won't arm unless they are.

Once armed like this and you move the throttle trim up far enough the motor may start running slowly.

Moral. Whatever the throttle trim position is required to arm the ESC, thereafter leave it alone.

From minimum to maximum trim can be as much as applying 20% throttle!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B3x1eEwr_c