Printers fallen over with a E-01 code, seems I need a new one

Erfolg

I have a Epson Stylus SX425W printer. It uses three cartridges that size wise are OK. It prints principally A4 size paper, it also scans. It supposably is Wi-Fi connected, although for some time now I use a cable (seemed to be a software issue).

I have unplugged it, pressed all the buttons etc. All to no available. I think I need a new printer. Not being into this sort of thing, being more of a user, I do not know what would be both available and a sensible buy.

The question is, has anybody else any more informed knowledge and opinion.

I continued trying a number of ideas, with respect to feeling confident that it is the printer where the issues lie and suggestions from the Internet, including Epson fault advice.

I woke up at  2 AM, to try something I suspected and must have dreamt of. To no avail

My hands ended up covered in ink, that would and will not wash of. I used a number of solvents, meths (my favourite tipple) and a can of Lidl thinners.

Spent hours surfing, looking for the perfect printer, ending up non the wiser. Expensive machines seemed to be both large tank, more significantly able to do much more than I need, send and receive faxes, connect directly to the internet, print faster than a speeding bullet, the size of a couple of large suitcases, primarily aimed I think of networked office type environments.

At the cheaper end, they all seemed much the same, with a bewildering number of models, that often looked the same, the price differing by not much. What to buy? It was a case of eeny meeny miny moe. I came to the conclusion for £60 to £70 if I am wrong, it can join its parent in the dustbin, sooner rather than later. 

I now have to read the instructions, set it up and hope for happiness.

My missus, user of the computer that’s sits in the “office” has just refurbished it. 
Really nice Microsoft based machine, but the inkjet colour Epson, that replaces the old laser printer is already on the, if I broke that, I would not cry list.

If you really need colour, I used to, stick a proper photographic printer, next to a laser printer. 

As with our hobby, all our requirements differ. Some like the excitement of jets fast propeller models, others like vintage or aerobatic and so on models.

In my case, I produce perhaps 4 hard copy letters a year,  a few accounts hard copies (BMFA), the odd model related print out. My wife possibly prints the most, return labels.  In realty our usage is very low.

I am suspecting some of you guys are effectively running business or may be working from home.

All our requirements are different.

I do not need a printer that will last so long it is a museum piece, not least that technology will possibly moved on etc.

In the home it needed to be smallish, not cost a fortune, its duty matching our needs and finally the running costs acceptable. I have also discovered that cartridges have a shelf life, so a massive tank system would probably not be sensible (however superficially attractive.

The cartridges for my new printer can be found at approx £16 a set (3rd party type) or £38 from Epson. I do not use Epson.

As for reliability, I remember when working that photocopiers be they Xerox, Panasonic or whoever, were for ever breaking down. I saw draftsmen fiddling with pen plotters, getting the pens? to work. Reliability does not seem to be the province of any one manufacturer or type of device. So here is hoping. On the up side at my price level, the bin is available and a clear space becomes available.

🙂

Epson printers for me have always been problematic. They always seem to misbehave after about 48 days, but a reinstall cures that, for 48 days !

They don't seem to have an "end" sensor, and crash into the ends with toothed belt skipping teeth etc., they basically go berserk.

Printers can yield lots of usefull stuff like stepper motors, shafts that make good punches, some gears , toothed belt and cogs, and great targets.

Toothed belt, tank tracks?

The last Epson that p d me off was dragged down the quarry by its lead and shot, many times.

Have hp combined scanner/printer which seems good but will not work with windows98, but PSU for that set up on way so can use its lone scanner.

If your doing stuff against the clock, your computer will always stuff up.

Edited by Rich Griff

Rich

The observation about "printing to meet a deadline" is so true.

The previous Epson is about 10 years old. The first home printer (of my own) was a Cannon, which did not fail, although colour, was a single tank, which meant it would run out of black, more often than not. I seem to remember that I could fill the tank with a Ink kit (after market). My portable works printer was a HP, but with the then large lap top, was liking a keep fit set up.

You might consider one of the HP printer/scanners like Deskjet 2729e  (£55) which use HP 'Instant Ink' scheme which is 99 pence a month for 10 sheets month or 2.99 month for 50 sheets month and other rates for more.   If you go over it is about 10 sheets for £1.    I found that 50 sheets a month more than enough as you can 'roll over' unused to the next month ( only) and my wife also uses the same printer on her own computer via wifi.  Worked out cheaper over the last 3 years when it was only £1.99 month for 50 sheets, but now it has gone up to 2.99.     A note on the HP website says you cannot use 'compatible' cartridges though!    Using copyright laws to prevent refilling cartridges should be made illegal!

Edited by kc

One extra thing to consider when buying a printer is to avoid one which has the glass recessed into the case which makes it very difficult to scan the centre of a large plan.   Having the glass flush with top of case enables aeromodellers to copy middle sections of the plan which is very handy!

It seems that many of you guys use your printers far more than we do. In our case we buy bargain paper and inks.

As for performance, which is something for us is not an issue, as what we do is at best transient in its durability. I cannot but notice that the company I worked for purchased what it though was the best in that all documents we meant to be durable, they have not been. In the case of Xerox, the print seems to become tacky and ink jet in many cases has faded. As for print time, I am retired some 20 years, I can wait a second longer.

Perhaps what is more relevant, the printer I purchased cost about £60. The Epson ink is £38 as advertised, we were offered a maintenance or similar plan for about £20. I cannot but think that non of these purchases make sense. I can buy replacement cartridge sets circa £16. At £60 if it fails out of warranty, it is not the end of the world to buy another, by a different manufacturer.

Yet, I do concede others will have differing priorities and needs. What works for me, will not work for many others.

For most of the common inkjet printers (HP, Epson, etc), the ink is more expensive than weapons grade plutonium! Not only that, but HP in particular are very aggressive about ensuring their printers will refuse to function with "3rd party" refills.

I have a fairly elderly HP Deskjet 6000, which fortunately for me, is too old to have the "benefit" of HP's ink marketing efforts. It continues to function reliably. Would I buy another one? No, not while they continue with this anti-competitive strategy.

I also have an old (mono) laser printer - a Lexmark - which is pretty reliable, aside from the very occasional paper jam. The toner cartridges seem to last forever.

If you just want a black & white printer, laser is the way to go. I've had a good experience with the Lexmark.

If you want to print colour photos, the general consensus seems to be that inkjet is superior, though I have no first hand experience to confirm that. (You do need proper photo paper for best results.)

Next time round, I'll probably go for a colour laser, and if I want to print decent photos, there is a very good, self service photo printing corner shop not too far away....

--

Pete

Just to add a bit of balance to those who have had trouble with Epson.

I bought an Epson Inktank printer in 2016 which has been faultless over the last six years & 2,700 pages printed. I've only had to top up the black ink tank once. The new, genuine Epson, bottle cost £9 and has only been half used whilst it's still on the original 3 colour tanks which are still about 2/3rds full.

By far the best & cheapest printer I have ever had in the long run.

I have a HP Envy 4500 think it is about 4 years old now, bought it in Currys, it is combined inkjet printer scanner copier and prints double sided A4 is wifi enabled so you can print direct, via a network or has a printer cable port and for the money was/is a cracking printer cost about £49 and there are newer versions available that has the same functions. Never had an issue with it and setup is a doddle.

The downside, depending upon how much printing you do the combined 301 colour and black cartridge pack are around £26 and buying them singly significantly bumps the price up, a 301 Black cartridge is about £19, you can get an XL version but I have never used one, the tri colour lasts longer than the black because I don't print a lot of colour. The upside of this is you can use the printer in single cartridge mode, a setting deep in the software so if your black runs out at an inopportune moment you can still print, single cartridge mode I think it's called. 

I would recommend a colour laser printer. The initial outlay may be a bit more; but toner lasts ages and you can buy generic refills really cheaply.

I have an old Dell model and it's been great. I wouldn't go back to inkjet.

Try this one for about £200 LINK

Generic Toner with 2xBlack  is about £70 but lasts ages!  LINK

KB

Edited by Keith Billinge

We have a Brother and HP laser printers. We have a couple of "chuck-out" inkjet printers used as scanners, HP and Canon. I think at the Shed the scanner is a dud (for printing) Epson. Note when I said "we" I mean our two computers are connected each to their own printer. Maybe we're serious too as we both use two monitors each and definitely don't use Windows... or Apple.

If you don't use the laser printer for months, it prints when you ask it to.

If an inkjet, it has to think about it and clean its jets, probably emptying the container as well.

Toner costs more than ink cartridges, quite a bit more but probably does 10+ times as many pages so in the long run is a lot cheaper.

Keith & Alex  - are you sure it is cheaper with a laser?    My HP Envy 4500 ( same as Andrew's ) cost £ 45  and then £24 for each of the last 3 years for HP Instant Ink for 50 sheets a month ( 600 sheets a year colour or black)    So a total of £117 for 3 years cost of printer plus ink.     Far cheaper the cost of a laser printer!

This year HP have put the Instant Ink price up to £2.99 month for 50 so it's just about £153 for the last 4 years prints (2400 prints) including the printer/scanner itself.

I used to have inkjet printers and my Laser is far better and far cheaper to run. Mine has stopped working with the wifi for some reason, but it's still brilliant over USB.

My toner lasts ages. Last time I changed a cartridge was about 2 years ago and I use it pretty regularly.

Running costs are the thing with printers they practically give the printer away in the first instance just to get you on the ink buying gravy train. If you do your research carefully you can buck the trend with generic ink replacement but a lot of the big companies now put a chip in each cartridge which counts down and stops you refilling the cartridge etc. Some even stop you using the ink if the cartridge gets too old. Printers can be a complete rip off! ]

Buyer beware!

KB

Used to have ink jet printers. Always clogging. Hateful things. Expensive ink. Poor results. 

Switched to laser about fifteen years ago. Only got rid of the first black and white brother unit because we needed a colour upgrade... bought another brother unit. 

Difference is night and day. The laser units have simply worked.