Help to identify Hawker Tomtit colour scheme from B&W photo

David Ovenden

I am afraid I don’t know anything about our RCAF yellow. I always assumed it was RAF trainer yellow. I’ll do a little research later. IPMS Canada might be able to help. I must comment that this forum uses the English “colour” as I was taught in school. I was shocked when I got my first computer and found the only spelling it accepted was the American “Color”. I had no idea there were 2 ways to spell it.

The other thing with B+W photography is the use of coloured filters over the lens to help add contrast to certain colours.

Typically orange / red filters to add contrast to pale blue skies with white clouds.

Something similar may have happened here.

I have an aunt in Canada who sent me pictures of one of the planes a relation flew in during training in Canada, a Fairey Battle. Guess the colour - yep orangey yellow

From the research I have been able to do in the late 1920s or early 1930s the RCAF did not appear to have a formal "training" colour scheme for their aircraft. It would be reasonable to assume a UK sourced plane would follow that of the RAF unless or until it was repainted for any reason, then the colour would be any bodies guess.   

I think it’s a change in the internal structure, The skins were stitched into the frame rather than shrunk on.

Note the dog rough finishes of late war WW1 British fighters. I have sometimes wondered, how to recreate Ball’s final SE 5, wrinkles and all.

I think that photograph shows a machine in green.

Ortho film was sensitive to high energy light. ie, blue end of spectrum. So when you print the negative, the burnt out blue areas on the negative, show as black. The red area shows light. 
Compare, that’s a dark green. PC 10?

3 hours ago, Don Fry said:

Ortho film was sensitive to high energy light. ie, blue end of spectrum. So when you print the negative, the burnt out blue areas on the negative, show as black. The red area shows light. 
Compare, that’s a dark green. PC 10?

I think you have that the wrong way round, Don. With ortho film the red is very dark, blue is light. 

For some reason the rudder colours on this Canadian Tomtit seem to be the reverse of standard. Or the photo was taken with panchromatic film & the roundals are reverse colour. 😉

PS all the photos in David's first 2 posts seem to show this non standard rudder flash.

Edited by PatMc

14 hours ago, David Pentland 1 said:

Here is the other photo of 140 I’d found. It shows it was repainted at least twice. A question I have always has is, right behind the second cockpit there is a “ break “ line in the covering that goes up the side of the fuselage and over the top. I have not seen this feature on any other Tomtit. Any idea what it is.

E817974A-E442-4A1F-A741-7395726DE759.jpeg

This is the same picture as the one David put on at the start of the thread, I have seen many photos of wartime aircraft and I would say the colour is yellow,

Strange that the aluminium cladding does not darken.

The section over the cockpits I would think is painted aluminium as  fabric covering would need support and there does not appear to be any stringers under the cockpit area, or it may be plywood. The only other pictures I have seen are the preserved Tomtit and this area is smooth but after many years of rebuilds it is hard to determine what has been done to it.

Why not email the Royal Canadian Air Force Museum?  If they don't know the answer regarding the colour scheme, they might bew in contact with an expert who does.  This page has the names of the people to contact  Royal Canadian Air Force Memorial Museum
Ms Georgiana Stanciu, the curator, would be the person to contact.  Email:  [email protected]

Edited by Robin Colbourne
  • Thanks 1