EBay prices

Wookman

Preamble: I recently acquired via BMFA classifieds a rather nice Taranis X9D+. The exact spec I wanted with the hall gimbals and an eneloop battery. I paid the asking price which I thought was reasonable. I then set about acquiring some receivers to go with it. I have bough a few through BMFA at what I thought was a fair price. I have also bought a few though ebay. Most of what I have bid on I have lost as the price has soared.

This week two X8R receivers came up. One on EBay, one on BMFA. The BMFA one was offered at what I thought was a fair £20 post paid. I managed to contact the vendor, no easy task when the messenger system was not working on BMFA classifieds, it is amazing what you can find out off tinterweb. The deal was done and it is in the post.

The EBay auction for the other one finished last night and the final price was £31 + a not unreasonable £3.50 for p and p. £34.50 in total.

A brand new X8R from the UK FrSky dealer is £34.54. There is postage to add.

I don't have an issue with using second hand gear, after all pretty much all the aeroplanes I fly are second hand or even sixth or seventh hand.

I don't have an issue with people charging what they want to, or people paying what they want to.

But surely the point of buying second hand is to save money. After all few of us have infinately deep pockets or infinately long arms.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

But what you have described is not a fault with eBay it is typical of any auction, people get carried away and get sucked into the ‘I must win it’ frame of mind!

Totally agree. Ebay do not force anybody to pay more than they want to.

The other thing about eBay and radio gear in particular is that the market is awash with counterfeit gear. Due to that I tend to only buy radio gear from a reputable seller, the risk of getting a fake is just too high.

Regarding eBay pricing, due to the auction format then the price of second hand modelling goods can sometimes get a bit silly. eBay auctions, as noted above, have got expensive and all too often, the final cost is more than one would want to pay. These days I prefer to use the Buy It Now option.  I've had good results from the various Facebook Marketplace pages. I also find that items on the BMFA classifieds are often priced quite high, for what they are, particularly second hand airframes, some of which folks are expecting 75-80% of the brand new cost. For discontinued items that is sometime 100-150% of the original cost, or multiples of that. 

• Like 1

I was amazed at the prices of the winning bids at the recent BMFA online auction, for old all those engines which would be impractical to actually use due to having no method of silencing or for R/C with no throttle. I was well out bid on a couple of items I went for. There seems to be something of a bidding frenzy at these events.

On the high prices for unusable engines front, presumably those are collectors and if a couple are determined to own a particular, long discontinued engine for their collections, the sky's the limit. When I sold off all of my IC engines years ago I got a decent price for them at auction, in some cases even more that I had paid for them. Such "normal", in-production "cooking" engines don't seem to command high prices and I've just given the last few away FOC to worthy recipients who will actually make use of them.

Reliable radio is everything in RC flying.   Why would anyone buy secondhand radio gear from an unknown seller on Ebay?    Better to buy new from a dealer even if it means buying something with less features to save money. 

1 hour ago, Andy Stephenson said:

I wouldn't have been surprised but there were literally hundreds of them. Who are all these collectors or was it just a few with lots of nostalgia and plenty of spare cash.

I suspect the number of collectors is relatively small, based on attendance at some of the classic NW area swapmeets some years ago. However I also suspect that many of their collections run to hundreds of engines.