Years ago I bought a model from an old boy in Somerset...

... it was a Brian Taylor Harvard which I've subsequently been too scared to fly but he said that all aeromodellers were hoarders.

I've just had a look at a spreadsheet I made up some time ago for all of the engines I own.

Apparently, I own four diesels but I haven't seen two of them for years. The others are:

1. Five Irvines from 36-53.
  2. Four Enyas from 15 to 50.
  3. Three HP VTs, a 25 and two 49s
  4. Four Thunder Tigers: a 46PRO, a 54 and two 91 fourstrokes.
  5. Six OS: a 61 SF and five fourstrokes from 26-70.
  6. Nine Lasers from a 62 to a 160 V twin.
  7. Single examples of engines produced by SC, ASP and Magnum.
  8. Plus the four diesels from PAW, Mills and ED.

I make that 38 engines. Of these only 9 are in models.

I do not regard myself as an engine collector and I realise that my situatiuon is not that unusual but the question i would like to ask is, "Why do we have so many more engines than we can possibly need?" 😊

Edited by David Davis
  • Like 1

Because you never when you will need one for a new project,and oh! Look,I have just the engine I need too hand best get on with it then. 

But of course you are right DD ,guilty as charged probably have more than twice that,although 15 or so are projects, 100+ plans,8 kits+500-600 magazines and books, do I need all of this? Heck no,but as our American chums would say 'he who dies with the most toys,wins! ' 

• Haha 1

I only have a few engines compared to you guys, but having more and more noisy flights....

15cc RCGF

20cc RCGF

Saito 82 FS

SC 90 FS

ASP 61 FS

TT 54 FS

SC 70 FS

Magnum 90 two stroke

ASP 49(?) two stroke

OS 55 two stroke

OS 61 two stroke

Evolution 10cc petrol

Only 6 currently in planes but hopefully a few more soon!

Not here to tell you which ones are any good or rubbish,, 'But', the two Rcgf engines are real fuselage and servo killers due to their excessive vibrations, I gave managed to give of the engine's a better balance so no cracks in my fuselages ( Seagull ) and Hitec gearless servos replaced with Futaba ones.

A picture of my Rcgf 15cc after balancing the crankshaft, and broke two of it's crankcase mounting due to vibration, but after it cracked my Zero fuselage just behind the pilot ( not crashed ) modified the mounting,,,

rcgf 15.jpg

21 hours ago, David Davis said:

"Why do we have so many more engines than we can possibly need?"

Define need... Nobody "needs" a small airplane that you fly whilst standing on the ground... 😀

How many airplanes do I need? How many can I fly regularly?

I have more engines than I can possibly need.

That said. I've bought what I thought was 'well priced' for what looked like 'good condition' in a consistent size range, which is at least the size range of airframes I like, 40 & 60 size. I'm only half afflicted... I guess.

I do need to have a clearout.

I say, enjoy.
Get a modelling mate, who, when the mortal coil is shuffled, comes round, takes it all away, so it ceases to annoy Swmbo, who will be off the the Mercedes dealer, for one of the nice little sports cars she covets, via the short skirt shop, to allow disgraceful old age to reign.

What the mate does with it, his choice.

Proof reading the above, the model stuff, not Swmbo. No flys on her, just the marks where they landed.

Not really a hoarder more of it may come in use one day.

Engine on the left is the very first engine I bought in 1962 and used in a KK Phantom Mite control line.

Engine on the right is the 2nd engine I bought in 1972 and used in a Dave Highs "Week-Ender" single channel.

!0 years in between due to wine, women and song. Well I was a teenager in the 60's.

Quite a few motors since then and some still survive.  

1639777357_1st2ndC.thumb.jpg.82ee614d5d58670f33f32b40533fd7ca.jpg