Adverts

I just use Adblock Plus on all the browsers I use (Firefox, MSN and Chrome) and it stops 99% of all ads on forums etc.  If I click on a post from FB or whatever and it asks me to disable the Ad blocker software, I just move onto another post or google the subject directly if its a news item I want to read.  But works well for all the motorcycling, classic car and many modelling forums I am on.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John Minchell said:

I just use Adblock Plus on all the browsers I use (Firefox, MSN and Chrome) and it stops 99% of all ads on forums etc.  If I click on a post from FB or whatever and it asks me to disable the Ad blocker software, I just move onto another post or google the subject directly if its a news item I want to read.  But works well for all the motorcycling, classic car and many modelling forums I am on.

I just use the ad blocker built-in to the Opera browser. I never get adverts at any time. I use Opera as it was, I think, the first browser to offer an in-built VPN as well. I do as you do if I get requested to disable the ad blocker unless I really, really need to visit the site and then you can just disable it for that site.

On sites that are, at least in part, financed by advertising, I have a policy of control clicking on adverts at random and then closing the resulting tab without looking at it after it has loaded. I am sure that this has led to some ad servers having a funny idea of my interests ;-).

I've just started to get an annoying problem where jumping between pages in a thread takes me first to a full page advert for something or the other. Luckily, simply refreshing the page then takes me to the page I originally wanted. I can put up with the small ads dotted around but this is hopeless. Not good, doesn't happen on other forums that I follow. Not clued up on ad blockers - is that the answer?

TIA

Edited by Cuban8

19 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

The workaround to that issue has been found to be to revert to the Default theme, rather than the easier to read darker theme. You can change that by using the Theme setting at the very bottom of the page.

Thanks, that's solved it. Prefer the darker theme, so hopefully the bug or whatever it is will be fixed for that pronto.

Manager: "Now, this adverts issue.... have you cracked it?"

IT: "Yes, it's an issue caused by 'Themes' "

Manager: "Can you fix it?"

IT: "Yes. We have 2 options..... Option 1 is to fix the issue, retest, release new software; Option 2 is to just remove the 'Theme' option, temporarily, or permanently"

Manager: "Costs and timescales?"

IT: "Option 1 is tens of thousands including testing, and a few weeks: Option 2 is about £1,000 all in, and could be done immediately

Hmmmmm...........

N.B. my IT background was in large financial organisations,  so testing was always extensive.... but you get the gist 🙂

4 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Manager: "Now, this adverts issue.... have you cracked it?"

IT: "Yes, it's an issue caused by 'Themes' "

Manager: "Can you fix it?"

IT: "Yes. We have 2 options..... Option 1 is to fix the issue, retest, release new software; Option 2 is to just remove the 'Theme' option, temporarily, or permanently"

Manager: "Costs and timescales?"

IT: "Option 1 is tens of thousands including testing, and a few weeks: Option 2 is about £1,000 all in, and could be done immediately

Hmmmmm...........

N.B. my IT background was in large financial organisations,  so testing was always extensive.... but you get the gist 🙂

It's a bit of a non-issue, imo. It is not a real problem reading a thread with ads, when you consider ads pay for the forum. As I've said before, RCME is nowhere near the ranking of even some niche websites as far as readerships or visits are concerned. Some threads aren't updated in months or even years:Shows, Club Events and Competitions - Page 35 - RCM&E Home of Model Flying Forums

Edited by paul devereux
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

It's a bit of a non-issue, imo. It is not a real problem reading a thread with ads, when you consider ads pay for the forum. As I've said before, RCME is nowhere near the ranking of even some niche websites as far as readerships or visits are concerned. Some threads aren't updated in months or even years:Shows, Club Events and Competitions - Page 35 - RCM&E Home of Model Flying Forums

How many times must it be pointed out that it isn't the presence of adverts which is the problem that users are experiencing? It is the reduction in usability of the forum, which seems to have been caused as a result of the modification to how the ads are displayed.

• Like 3

That's good news - but the even better news is that the ' Darker' theme now works as it used to previously!   I find that going back a page is now possible even when using the Darker theme - so no need to be on the default setting.  The Darker theme seem much easier to read with more contrast and larger typeface.

1 hour ago, Mike T said:

Good to know, Beth.  Please update us when its fully 'rolled out' and I'll remove my ad-blocker 🙂

If it's any help Mike, I've checked using both themes and I'm seeing no ads in threads nor blank pages so the powers that be seem to have implemented the fixes/rolled back to the previous version.

I would suggest that no further posts are required to confirm the forum has reverted to its previous functionality.  If anyone is still experiencing these problems, don't hesitate to highlight it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...