Max Thrust Aggressor 1800mm Glider

Advert

Thanks for that John,

I should have inserted the link myself. It looks quite good and can fairly dart about. I think the 1800 wing span is a nice compromise in size between being able to see it and being reasonable for storage purposes. Shed space is at a premium at the moment.

I was never initially interested in gliders but the seed was planted and the more I read up on them and the more maiden flight videos I watched, the more I thought ..... I like these big elegant looking birds. They are very fairly priced as well.

Toto

Looks like a thinly disguised copy of a Multiplex Easyglider, so not really the same configuration as the Aggressor - with a T-tail, rather than an all moving tailplane and a mid-wing rather than the high wing configuration of the Aggressor. Wonder why they didn't just give it a different name, since it's a different model?

Have recently flown the T-Tail 'EasyGlide' Aggressor.

Flew well BUT lots of niggles with assembly due poor QC and fiddly, poorly thought out servo plug coupling arrangements, to name but a few.

Down to a (expensive) price not up to a quality, typical of many ARTFs.

Wonder what it will be called in other countries when it surfaces there as these model mouldings do e.g. Max Thrust 'Riot' is called the ArtTech 'Devil' in the US.

It'll be interesting to see the quality of the model when its number is called for assembly. 

Hopefully flyable. I must admit, I do tend to use Utube videos for reviews but do realise that these can be biased guessing that many of the reviews may be anything but impartial. Unless you get your info more or less first hand from your own reliable source then it could be a bigger case of pot luck.

You just hope that if you have bought a dog, it's not completely in vain.

Toto

8 hours ago, toto said:

Unless you get your info more or less first hand from your own reliable source then it could be a bigger case of pot luck.

Referring to your other thread about the RCHotel, one of the benefits of the place is that it gives you the opportunity to examine & fly a wide variety of models.

Typically I fly 20 or 30 different models in the course of a week, (you don't have to, many stick to what they know best &/or are most comfortable with). This had led to finding some hidden gems that I would never have considered buying without the experience. Equally it has saved me from some models that I was considering purchasing but turned out to be not what I was expecting. If it is a more advanced model than you are used to, then a flight on a buddy box can usually be arranged.

This is the bulk of the fleet as of my visit last October:

F82E79F5-9DBC-41B3-8D73-FB1061D5E2A1_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.18aea8e06660a4cf961484687ec36b0d.jpeg

Thanks for that John, looks like a fair selection across the whole spectrum to choose from.

It is definitely a benefit being able to try before you buy. One advantage of visiting the RC hotel.

I think I would wait until I can at least fly solo before contemplating visiting in order to take full advantage. The lure of the sun, some flying and a cold beer ...... not necessarily at the same time of course .... I eont think beer and flying would mix to well. :classic_biggrin:

Thanks

Toto

• 6 months later...

I’ve just bought a Max-Thrust Aggressor Easyglide but not yet flown it. The assembly was not good as the two wings feature a “half lap” joint, faced with thin plywood, the ends being chamfered. The wings would not fit in the fuselage! To fix this I had to increase the angle of the chamfer and sand down the thickness of the plywood to get them to into the fuselage! Then I found that the holes running through the fuselage and wings did not line up, so I had to sand the ends of the wings to get the two vertical pins through the fuselage and wings! Dreadful quality and a really strange way to mount the wings! Fitting the “T” tail plane was also a pain as the connector is very difficult to get into the space in the fin. Not only that when putting the long bolt on to secure the tailplane the captive nut in the fin came adrift and after some tricky fiddling I managed to unscrew the bolt and then use it to carefully pull the nut upwards. Having managed to get it in the right position I trickled thin super glue into the space to hold the nut! Phew all fixed but what poor design and quality control! I just hope it flys well after all this hassle!

Thanks for posting this up Rod.

Mines is still in the box and probably will be for a while yet. I'm hoping your experience was the exception rather than the rule but maybe that's wishful thinking on my part.

I just hope I remember to check this again when the build time comes as you've given some handy work arounds.

Fingers crossed that your flying experience makes up for the initial disappointment.

Kind regards

Toto

Edited by toto

Make sure that the two grub screws holding the motor in the mount are both present and tight. A fellow club member maidened his aggressor and after 30 seconds the motor came out of the mount and, fortunately, stopped. On examination, the motor had first spun around winding up the leads all the way back to the ESC and then came out of the mount at which point one of the leads was ripped out of the motor causing it to stop. Required a new motor and , as a precaution, an ESC as we were unsure whether the broken lead had shorted the supply from the ESC.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MattyB said:

Aerodynamically they fly pretty well, but Max Thrust models do seem to be built down to a price. Nothing lots of careful checking and the odd mod can't address, but they may have a short life if those steps are missed. 

ARTF - Almost ready to fix 😀

I don't think Max Thrust are worse than any others - except maybe Multiplex

But tbh I'd always give any 'plane a once over before committing aviation, just for my own peace of mind.

Kim

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Kim Taylor said:

except maybe Multiplex

My Multiplex Easy Glider went together perfectly and has continued to perform faultlessly. Yes expensive but the good design, attention to detail and manufacturing quality shines through.👍

Edited by PDB

One other problem I encountered with the Max-Thrust Aggressor Easyglide was space to put the battery, ECS and receiver. I thought to put a smaller battery in but that proved to involve too much added weight in the nose to balance the CG. So I went back to the large battery and mounted the FrSky RX6R receiver on the aft bulkhead but had to find some way to route both servo leads and aerials effectively. I decided that the aerials couldn’t be neatly/effectively routed inside the fuselage, so I drilled two holes through the fuselage top and out of the aft bulkhead and treaded the aerials through. Having not flown the glider yet, I hope it works OK. I should point out that the canopy is filled with foam and so doesn’t contribute to available space.

IMG_0922.jpeg

IMG_0923.jpeg

Edited by ROD STOTT

I have quite a few models where having the aerials at 90° is very difficult to achieve and exit the fuse just as @ROD STOTT has shown in his photos and are even taped down to the outside. I too fly FrSky gear and have never had a problem with Rx reception. So I would say leave them as they are but stick them to the outside of the fuse (Blenderm).

• Thanks 1

In the past I collected some short straws that were used as stirrers in coffee shops. I use these as sleeves to route aerials in. Drill with a 3mm drill onto the foam and slide the aerials in. Well protected and safe from damage. Have used in both foam and balsa models. Works a treat. Used biro tubes and the like work just as well.