The Big Question ?

RICHARD WILLS

Advert

Agreed - foam veneered curvy bits can replace planking in many situations, Also the way that Marutaka did their Corsair, and other curvy bits, was an ingenious method of machined shaped balsa blocks, interlaminated with cloth for strength. Planking gives a lovely lightweight option and is very satisfying when it is done nicely though.

ISTR that Richard had asked that we reply with our thoughts for the future with our orders and said that asking on the forum usually resulted in the way this thread is going. It's important to recognise that suggestions need to have a chance of generating sufficient sales to make them viable, which the FW190 and Tempest clearly have.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

Having said that there's still a lot to choose from but then what's  left  is not everyone's choice so a decent amount of kits need to be sold to make it worth while. 

This comment hits the nail on the head, after my involvement with Richard's kit design over the past few years the time invested in a new design is enormous. To produce a kit that may only sell a very small number is financially not viable as well as disheartening to the effort required. If we want to have a UK based kit manufacturer producing quality products we need to be more conservative in the desire for the exotic, complex designs.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

Problem as I see it, Richard produces quick build  kits the majority of model types requested to get a creditable replica need planking which is time consuming and not a good introduction for someone looking for an easy build. Slab sided Mosquitos and Hellcats don't look right. Nor do conical Corsairs, I know  I have just planked one which is the only way to get the right shape.  Having said that there's still a lot to choose from but then what's  left  is not everyone's choice so a decent amount of kits need to be sold to make it worth while. I have always fancied an S M 79 Italian 3 engined aeroplane simple wing shape boxy fuselage and great colour schemes,  could even run on one motor with freewheeling props on the outer nacelles. But I think I will have to do it myself.

These points are very valid . There are ways round the convex curves with foam veneer but it is never straightforward . 

Ultimately I could make any WW2 aircraft in any size , but as we have said before ,it has to be justified in  terms of the development time . 

It's interesting that the two quick build entry level warbirds , The Fw190 and Tempest had a very rapid acceptance to the tune of around 35 each . 

And yet I dont remember seeing a big "hands up" in any of these kick around sessions . What does that mean ? 

What I have learnt over the years is that if I dont go British , it wont be popular as some wont entertain Axis emblem's etc . Having said that , the argument is completely destroyed by the 190 matching the Tempest (so far ) in popularity . 

Eric's point above is also important - The quicker build kits give much more instant gratification and also allow the build group to stay within a timespan that doesnt get stale . 

Personally , I would like a few more people to chip in on the threads . All comments are valid and its a bit of fun with nobody shooting anyone down . 

I like most subjects , but I always have to ask myself ,"am I going to sell enough to justify the effort ?"  Making one offs is time consuming , but then making them for other people to build with manuals and plans trebles that time . So really you have to be looking at 35 -50 sold and that still depends on the profit margin .

I dont want to lead the choice too much because there may be a rank outsider charging through the field . The P51 response was another surprise as there seemed to be so many others on the market . Is the P47 another dark horse ? The Mossie should be more flyable and practical than others available . 

I would go for an Italian twin or triple, centre engine could be a free wheeler to keep motor/ESC cost down, not so keen on their single engined options. Here is my personal choice for an Italian twin, easy build with slab sides, great colour schemes, was even used by the Japanese so alternative air force colours. Fiat BR20, Go on Richard, you know you want to 😜

BR20.jpg

• Like 3

Lovely model Martin . I do think you pick some interesting ones . I like the Italian jobs . Lovely paint schemes too and your weathering on the cowls there is exquisite . My guess is that we are in the minority though . If not though , can we all have a 202 ? Surely one of the most beautiful fighters . 

However , you know which model the massive Warbirds Replicas Corporation has sold the most of ? More than Spitfires or Hurricanes?

La7 .  Explain please , explain please , doesnt compute ........

BTW Martin , you really should get a jet wash on that Patio mate . We  expect tropical rain forest here in the west , but where you are mate, really !

1 hour ago, Ron Gray said:

Not necessarily so Eric, a combination of box frame construction with veneered foam curvy bits (same as turtle decks) would achieve the result. 

One I built some years ago Chiltern kit foam veneer wings 6 foam veneer blocks for the fuselage mounted on a 1/2"×1/4" crutch very guick build. I did suggest that to Richard but I think there was a problem getting the veneer at the time and getting the parts produced. Aerotech had a good range of warbirds using the same system but poor flying characteristics and poor kitting and after sales service finished them off. I bought the P38 Lightning and it had two port wing panels it took 3 months to resolve the issue. Richard's service is first class.

20150824_165336.jpg

I have to confess having a soft spot for twins or even a multi although I have never owned one. They look and sound different to your usual single engined  aircraft. True they are slightly more complex and double the power train all be it they can each be smaller. 

Richards BF110 was a very nice and quick build for a twin. Size wise was probably to large for this remit accepting twin 70's and retracts. So smaller, hand launched (retro retracts?) and as much as I love IC at this size electric. A Mossie is not the easiest shape to model but being iconic probably has huge appeal. My first vote 👍 . Unlike some I like axis just because they are different so how about the 

Mitsubishi TK4 better than a Tigercat, even the Americans admitted it.

Single engined I favour a KI84   Noted British test pilot Eric Brown was similarly impressed, comparing the Ki-84 favourably against the Griffon powered Spitfire Mk XIV and stating it was the finest Japanese aircraft he flew. but accept it will not float most peoples boat so Allied - Hellcat, Thunderbolt or Sea Fury.

11 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Lovely model Martin . I do think you pick some interesting ones . I like the Italian jobs . Lovely paint schemes too and your weathering on the cowls there is exquisite . My guess is that we are in the minority though . If not though , can we all have a 202 ? Surely one of the most beautiful fighters . 

However , you know which model the massive Warbirds Replicas Corporation has sold the most of ? More than Spitfires or Hurricanes?

La7 .  Explain please , explain please , doesnt compute ........

BTW Martin , you really should get a jet wash on that Patio mate . We  expect tropical rain forest here in the west , but where you are mate, really !

cant answer that question but i had one of your La7 loved it just looked as though it meant business which i guess was part of its appeal to me , would settle for another or any of the lavockins or yak 9s or migs for that matter

andy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martin collins 1 said:

I would go for an Italian twin or triple, centre engine could be a free wheeler to keep motor/ESC cost down, not so keen on their single engined options. Here is my personal choice for an Italian twin, easy build with slab sides, great colour schemes, was even used by the Japanese so alternative air force colours. Fiat BR20, Go on Richard, you know you want to 😜

BR20.jpg

Lovely job and the BR20 is one of the few unfilled slots on my Battle of Britain Bucket list along with the Fiat G50.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Robson said:

One I built some years ago Chiltern kit foam veneer wings 6 foam veneer blocks for the fuselage mounted on a 1/2"×1/4" crutch very guick build. I did suggest that to Richard but I think there was a problem getting the veneer at the time and getting the parts produced. Aerotech had a good range of warbirds using the same system but poor flying characteristics and poor kitting and after sales service finished them off. I bought the P38 Lightning and it had two port wing panels it took 3 months to resolve the issue. Richard's service is first class.

20150824_165336.jpg

My Chiltern Chipmunk had the same configuration. I expect the Aerotech kits put a lot of folks off building a sports scale warbird. They looked great built up, on the grass in front of their tent, but by all accounts the QC on the contents of those boxes that you saw lots of guys carrying back to their cars left a lot to be desired. Don't believe I ever saw one of their wrbirds fly, outside of the shows, but their profile warbirds flew very well indeed.

Richard, if you decide to do a Messerschmitt 109, could I suggest giving a good deal of thought to how to deal with the wingtips in particular to allow construction of the definitively beautiful Me109E with the heavy, unwieldy, spoiled IMO Bf109g as an option? Just kidding - major fan of the Emil, but not a big fan of the Gustav with all those extra bits making it like the BMW version of the Mini, compared to the beautiful original design 🙂

1 minute ago, leccyflyer said:

Richard, if you decide to do a Messerschmitt 109, could I suggest giving a good deal of thought to how to deal with the wingtips in particular to allow construction of the definitively beautiful Me109E with the heavy, unwieldy, spoiled IMO Bf109g as an option?

Prefer the E myself, built 2 already but soooo many interesting schemes to chose from, i would buy at least one if Richard offered an E in this range.

IMG_20210423_192531_resized_20210423_103652442.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoff Gardiner said:

The Mosquito gets my vote.

Richard, I don't remember which thread you were posting on but a year or so ago you where experimenting with a Mossie build.

Did that ever reach a conclusion?

A couple of other twins that I have been looking at are:

Cessna Bobcat

Beechcraft AT11 Kansan

Crane6.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-12-15 at 11.55.28.png

Geoff , I remember we had a chat about your Mossie and my prototype . 

I have been flying mine . After enjoying my 60" He111 for several years , I decided that the convenience of 60" span and one battery , meant that I used it more than the 72" twins with two packs . (two pack ? sounds like a rapper ) .

The 60" Mossie is very easy to fly , it runs on one 3300mmah 4s pack and has room for a sound system . The fuselage splits behind the wing which means that all the wiring apart from two plugs , stays connected . I get around 6-7 mins no problem . Given that it flies well throttle back , I could probably blow it up to 64" for a bit more presence with no detriment elsewhere . I havent painted it because I got side tracked by the 190 . A kit version would be all wood and probably not much heavier . Even if it was, at 64" it will have more wing area so it will fly the same . 

Twins of this size (apart from the P38 ) are winners all round really . They get more out of battery by having twin props . They also have bigger wheels which means less stresses and more practicality .  

• Like 3