CAA Call for Input: Review of UK UAS Regulations Aug 2023

MattyB

35 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

When it comes to the forthcoming need for site authorisations I'd suggest that from the most cursory examination Gary actually has much more to worry about than many people who are taking a solid look at the risks to their hobby and formulating their response accordingly.

On the contrary I'm not worried about anything,, or anything that is not absolutely certain till whatever happens happens

42 minutes ago, MattyB said:

I struggle to see why you continue to contribute in these threads - we all know your views by now, so if you don't want to hear discussion amongst modellers who actively want to challenge this ridiculous regulatory over-reach, just don't participate.

I will decide what views thoughts and opinions I have not you and I struggle to see why you and others bang on about the same points day in day out going round in circles but thanks for ur input all the same

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GaryWebb said:

On the contrary I'm not worried about anything,, or anything that is not absolutely certain till whatever happens happens

I will decide what views thoughts and opinions I have not you and I struggle to see why you and others bang on about the same points day in day out going round in circles but thanks for ur input all the same

QED - as stated more than once, you're not worrying about, or even considering the implications of anything, until it actually happens. Since that is the entire point of this thread it's a bit strange to keep repeating that and makes your persistent attempts to minimise and limit the discussion even stranger, in the sense that you've stated that you haven't actually read the call for consultation.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MattyB said:

@steve too, do you know how they do this in Japan and France (for instance)?

Japan has direct RID but I don't know if they have exempt sites.

You are better off asking somebody who lives in France. This is appears to be the relevant regulation. The map. 

Australia is at a similar stage to the UK and their consultation refers to 'designated sites' with little detail.

On 19/12/2023 at 11:12, Ron Gray said:

'Ignorance is bliss' is the saying I believe?

On 19/12/2023 at 11:06, leccyflyer said:

QED - as stated more than once, you're not worrying about, or even considering the implications of anything, until it actually happens. Since that is the entire point of this thread it's a bit strange to keep repeating that and makes your persistent attempts to minimise and limit the discussion even stranger, in the sense that you've stated that you haven't actually read the call for consultation.

Actually I dont get caught up in speculation and worry about what might or might happen,, could possibly or potentionally happen or something that may never happen and things that dont immediately directly effect what we do in the hobby and what is not likely to for atleast a few years yet.....

I'm not minimising or limiting anything im just living in the real world ,, and personally I think we have about as much chance of stopping Remote ID happening as we did with Operator/Flier ID being implemented

I will take my leave of this subject now as its now gone way past the point of getting stale and dominated by those who seem to know everything or more than anyone else and must be listened to or feel their wrath for having a different view to them 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) is the British aviation authority.  The Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) is the USA's aviation authority.  The link you posted is clearly marked FAA.

So yes, you completely misunderstood the results of the 737 Max enquiry.  That related to the FAA and not the CAA.

Ah yes.....I mixed up the CAA with the FAA but I didn't misunderstand the results of the 737MAX inquiry.   I now see your point about the CAA.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GaryWebb said:

Actually I dont get caught up in speculation and worry about what might or might happen,, could possibly or potentionally happen or something that may never happen and things that dont immediately directly effect what we do in the hobby and what is not likely to for atleast a few years yet.....

I'm not minimising or limiting anything im just living in the real world ,, and personally I think we have about as much chance of stopping Remote ID happening as we did with Operator/Flier ID being implemented

I will take my leave of this subject now as its now gone way past the point of getting stale and dominated by those who seem to know everything or more than anyone else and must be listened to or feel their wrath for having a different view to them 

It's your posts which are taking the stance that others must not be allowed a different point of view.

Statements like this one, for example

All this speculation into how it will play out based on what the US and other countries do is of no useful benefit to how it will or will not play out for us in the UK ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GaryWebb said:

I will take my leave of this subject now...

Thank goodness for that.

1 hour ago, GaryWebb said:

...its now gone way past the point of getting stale and dominated by those who seem to know everything or more than anyone else and must be listened to or feel their wrath for having a different view to them 

I don't have any problem with anyone having a different view to me. I do have a problem with those who are too lazy to read the documentation put out there by the authorities and national associations, then proceed to repeatedly tell those who have done so that any debate/discussion of the topic is pointless because "what will happen will happen".

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, EGB 953 said:

Sorry, this may have been covered and it is a looong thread. has the BMFA taken legal advice, if so, from whom and have they considered some of the EU human rights legislation related to privacy and proportionality?  Just asking. 

Just asking who? Or whom......

• Like 1

If we can turn round the appalling low response to last August’s ‘consultation’ to a high response then that alone will have to be analysed by those in ‘power’. My club meeting on Monday night was very well attended as we had an item on the agenda to discuss Article 16. 5 club members said they responded in August but after the discussion they were unanimous in saying they would respond this time. Some members belong to other clubs who haven’t raised the Article 16 issue, they are now encouraging their other clubs to have a similar discussion.

• Like 3

So there are 27 pages of this thread  and I wonder if there's a "lazy persons summary"? I think I've been pretty slack keeping up with aeromodelling matters this year (two too many funerals), but would be happy to push this to my committee to see if we can get our members to complete a questionnaire.

Is there anywhere which provides a list of the links to the pertinent stuff? I didn't see a "Sticky" on the first page?

David

1 hour ago, Brian Cooper said:

... the CAA has already decided it wants to do. 

The CAA are just working though a roadmap that was published by SESAR-JU back in '17 (?). We seem to have had a brief respite while Shapps was SoS, but he has moved on and the CAA are going back to the plan.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steve too said:

The CAA are just working though a roadmap that was published by SESAR-JU back in '17 (?). We seem to have had a brief respite while Shapps was SoS, but he has moved on and the CAA are going back to the plan.

As S of S Defence, Shapps will have a keen eye on what the CAA is proposing as the MoD has spent years discussing flying UAS outside their ranges.  As we have all seen, the use of drones in the Ukraine war by regular military has gone up exponentially.  Being able to conduct military training outside ranges may be a wish for some in the military.  Hence, my view that Shapps will remain engaged - albeit from a different viewpoint and without being completely in charge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Hazell 1 said:

s there anywhere which provides a list of the links to the pertinent stuff? I didn't see a "Sticky" on the first page?

Documents:

CAA response document - https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Review%20of%20UK%20UAS%20Regulation%20-%20Consultation%20-%20v1.0_Final_2ndedition.pdf

BMFA / LMA document - https://bmfa.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/BMFA-LMA-Response-to-CAP2610-8-Dec-2023_.pdf

Also for replying

https://consultations.caa.co.uk/rpas/review-of-uk-uas-regulations-consultation/consultation/intro/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, David Hazell 1 said:

@Admins, can we make above post sticky on first page?

Remember this thread was originally created to discuss the consultation released in Aug, hence why the links to the most recent consultation are not on the first page. Obviously these could be added by mods, but as the thread originator I no longer have edit rights to that post to be able to add this content.

4 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

I wonder if a few bmfa email merge messages to every bmfa member would help ?

It's been about a month since the cat was let out of the bag by now.....

3 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

I would suggest that if your own club hasn't raised this matter you get your committee to do so, as a committee member myself I felt that it was my duty to make sure that members were aware of this. 

Based on what I'm seeing locally, those that have been following regulatory matters for a while already understand responding is important and will do so. However the vast majority of club members who fly for a relaxing pastime don't (and have never) wanted to get involved in the bureaucracy, and don't want to spend the time trying to understand the consultation and work out how to respond. I therefore sadly doubt any additional banging of the drum by the BMFA/LMA etc. will make much difference to response rates.

• Like 4