Winter projects

Daren Cogdon

2 hours ago, FlyinFlynn said:

Oooooo..all these foam designs makes me want to resurrect my foam ripper and play with that again....

Step 1:.. ensure I have the workflow nailed down....

use Adobe Acrobat to convert the plan to a jpg to import into -

Librecad - where you trace over the outlines to export a .dxf into - 

Aspire - where you recover the scale and apply the process to make - 

the .gco file to feed into - 

CNC controller running GRBL fitted to the foam ripper

woohoo.... 

alternatively, print out your A4 tiles and cut around the outline with a scalpel... but where is the fun in that? 🙂

So, to contribute...

This is a 'one week from cause to effect' project

I dumb-thumbed the little Yak I bought from a clubmate. It flew brilliantly and encouraged me to practice the things I'm not so good at, and it ended badly when I lost which way up it was. It ended up tent-pegged, and these lightweight ARTFs are certainly not built to repair. So, BUILD A NEW ONE!

Crash was wednesday. Thursday was spent in a moving, private mourning ceremony. It was emotional..

Started on Friday, 1 1/2 hours. 1 hour on saturday and then a good day at it one Sunday. One hour this evening and this is where we're at. Not much more to do; maybe an hour before painting and finishing.

It's made from the black 6mm laminate flooring underlay from B&Q, with a bit of 3mm white (Diall) stuff for the curved parts of the fuselage. A few bits of lightply, 1/32" ply and a couply of carbon strips from a recently retired foam 3D indoor thingy, and coffee stirrers to stiffen the ailerons etc. Cowl is a lump of polystyrene, glued to a lightply disc, and spun until it was roughly the right shape. The top hatch is a lump of polystyrene onto a lightply base sanded to shape. I've been able to salvage a little bit of the canopy, so it's not far off.

I'm not going to cover it. I'll mist coat it in white emulsion, and then spray an emulsion colour scheme before a thin coat or two of water based varnish to give it some gloss. 

Not weighed it yet, but the original is very light, and this is lighter!

The elevators, rudder and ailerons are not fitted in the pics as the stiffeners are still drying. The poor broken body of the original is there out of respect...

Graham

mini yak f 190923 01.jpg

mini yak f 190923 02.jpg

mini yak f 190923 03.jpg

mini yak f 190923 04.jpg

• Like 4

Several Winter projects:

1. Sell "Big Fun" model which has been our club model this year.

2.Buy suitable Edge / Yak / Extra (hopefully second hand), that I can fettle ready for next years comps.

3. Collect just purchased Radio Queen (£30), and sort it out as a club trainer.

Always something to do!.

Always something to do...... my list this winter is:

• Fix the Ruckus that lost an argument with a tree
  • Finish refurbing the Spitfire donated by a club mate
  • Finish re-covering my little leccy SE5 (seems to be a recurring winter fix, this plane)
  • Recommission my Yak54
  • Fix the warped wing and manky rudder hinge on my Rocky
  • Finish my Sig Miniplane
  • Sell some of the engines that I'm never going to use..... maybe.

Doubt I'll manage all that as it gets cold in my Pigeon Coop (workshop)!

Hadn't realised this was a thread for listing winter projects, thought it was just Daren's forthcoming depron creations.

I've got two immediate smallish projects that I've commited to on RCG's MAGMAN build up, which is based on building from Aeromodeller or RCM&E plans from >50 years ago before the end of the year.

First one that I made a start on proper yesterday is Les Rudd's Go-Jet, as I was so impressed with Mark Dean's example at the Pontefract single channel day in July. Had started cutting out wingribs a while back, but in a rare example of workshop discipline I'd said I wouldn't start until my diesel powered Outlaw was finished, which it almost is. Most of the Go-Jet bits are now cut out and I've started the assembly, fitting the implausibly thick fuselage formers.

603438158_gojetparts1.thumb.jpg.2cf17d7a88d6b259648d29382e1c1538.jpg

649950151_gojetf2andf4.thumb.jpg.a49c300a6de23046c1a3c1176482f435.jpg

Second project is a build of an April 1973 Aeromodeller plan Jay-Pee, which I intend to have another try at control line, since I built one in the 70's, with rather limited success due to my signature control line manouver of a spirited wingover into the ground. That'll wait until after the Go-Jet is done.

Other projects waiting in the wings are the Wagtail, originally designed for Galloping Ghost, my Keil Kraft Mini Super and I also really need to pick one of my WR warbird kits and get on with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrumpyGnome said:

A new 2023/4 version of that thread would be useful - I saw that more as a fix-up thread, bringing back some of those stalled projects from the dead, in my case long neglected repairs and conversions. I have a long list of thise I could drop a few into such a format, which I found a fantastic motivation that winter.

Belay my last pipe - I see that the original 2021 Dark Night's Fix Up thread has been retitledas the Annual Dark Night's Fix Up thread, so if fit for purpose as it stands. I'll have to update the subsequent progress on my Beufighter, which had stopped once I launched into my current vintage obsession. 🙂

• Like 1