Warbirds Replicas FW190 - the 2023 version

Ron Gray

Advert

Right , lets get back to the business of putting retracts in the FW190 . 

As Paul says , we are waiting for wheels from a well known wholesaler , but I have a few stashed for those that are chomping at the bit .

The retract kit will comprise of :

Laser cut wooden parts for the mount . 2x servoless retract units . Pre formed 8swg legs with coil spring to protect the units . 70mm lightweight wheels , star dome captive wheel retainers , wheel doors and Y lead .  Price will be hopefully £59.90 

You can see some of the main items below. The laser cut mounts only have four parts , but the each wing will have a mirror version of the other , so take time to glue them together appropriately . For instance , the key hole rib must be inner most on both sides and the main mount plate must have the circular recess for the coil spring rearward . 

When you see the following posts , this will become more obvious . 

I would recommend using epoxy or golden Gorilla glue throughout . 

IMG_6907.jpg

IMG_6921.jpg

IMG_6922.jpg

IMG_6923.jpg

• Haha 1

In the pack , you will also get an A4 overlay which aligns with the wing centre line and the leading edge . 

First , you need to cut out the shape shown . Then holding it in the right position , draw round the inside with a black pen . 

Easy , so far isnt it ?

IMG_6908.jpg

IMG_6909.jpg

IMG_6910 (1).jpg

Next thing is to remove the skin where you have drawn the lines. Although I've shown a knife , my weapon of choice is the cut off hacksaw blade . The fine point goes round corners really well , less chance of cutting yourself too. Just don't go through the top wing skin and ruin your paint job . 

Next thing is to scoop out the foam . 

For many years , I use to heat up an old undercarriage leg over the gas cooker ring and scoop out the foam . Then some genius invented the solder gun . 

This one is £19 on Amazon and you can change the "bit " to a bigger and squarer piece of wire which is superb for scooping out foam . 

(I understand you can do soldering with it too 😉)

IMG_6911.jpg

IMG_6912.jpg

solder gun.jpg

The ribs need to be flush or nearly flush with the bottom wing skin . When you are entirely satisfied with the fit . , brush some water into the cuts and then add the laser cut mount with golden gorilla glue . It will expand to make a really good grip on the foam . 

You can sand off nay slightly proud bits later . 

The kits will also include some strips of ply to line the wheel wells . 

I have a stock of plastic wheel wells , but never found them easy to fit or convenient . They work better on built up wings , but even then they have snags . 

Wood is easy as it glues well and is quick to fit . 

Later you will see that I lined the bottom of the wheel well with a cardboard disc.

IMG_6928.jpg

IMG_6927.jpg

IMG_6929 (1).jpg

• Like 2

Another useful tool here . The sanding drum . Makes lightwork of the edges and tidies up nicely .  

Just fits in a standard drill chuck . 

That is pretty much it . 

Apologies for mine looking rough , but I'm sure you appreciate I dont really have time for hanging about . 

I reckon you could do the whole lot in an hour if pushed . But to be fair .......Ive done a few . 

Any questions?

IMG_6930.jpg

IMG_6932.jpg

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Another useful tool here . The sanding drum . Makes lightwork of the edges and tidies up nicely .  

Just fits in a standard drill chuck . 

That is pretty much it . 

Apologies for mine looking rough , but I'm sure you appreciate I dont really have time for hanging about . 

I reckon you could do the whole lot in an hour if pushed . But to be fair .......Ive done a few . 

Any questions?

IMG_6930.jpg

IMG_6932.jpg

Well that doesn’t look too tricky. I suspect even a newcomer like me will cope - with a sensible measure twice, cut once approach. Only question from me - for those of us flying off rough strips is there any scope to upsize the wheel diameter further, or are we maxed out in the space at that size?

25 minutes ago, Lipo Man said:

Well that doesn’t look too tricky. I suspect even a newcomer like me will cope - with a sensible measure twice, cut once approach. Only question from me - for those of us flying off rough strips is there any scope to upsize the wheel diameter further, or are we maxed out in the space at that size?

What Paul said is generally true . However I have a vast collection of wheels from different manufacturers . On the same brand you could definitely go from 70mm to 76mm for rough strips . If you are not worried about looks , I have some larger and thinner than that . 

So anyone having issue like that , should always ask me first as I may be able to swap out the wheels for something bigger and thinner .

From a looks point of view the ones shown always look in the ball park and weigh almost nothing . Ive always liked them .

But I do think you have a valid point . 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

There's always one isn't there? --------- Tail wheel?

I was so excited at the thought of actual real life RETRACTABLE wheels I totally forgot there’s a wheel at the back. Honestly I’d be happy with a little stick, but I’m new to all this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Presumably ply, not lite-ply? Could the retract mounting plate be made thicker- more meat for the screws to bite into ( yum!)

Alternatively use bolts poking upwards (wire lock buried heads so they don’t rotate).

What I am driving at is, I am fretting about the gear being ripped out after an ‘arrival’ onto none too short grass.

Maybe I should just keep taking the Valium or get another hobby. 😉