What did Santa bring you

toto

A stollen and biscuit mountain.

With toffees (and I don't have a sweet tooth !).

Some sweat shirts.

More sweets (Quality Street).

The only model related present was a laser cut bulldozer kit.

Fortunately I had taken the precaution of buying myself one of these to build.

OIP.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lipo Man said:

Santa brought me a Warbird Replicas FW190 kit. He delivered quite a few of those, I think!

IMG_4407.jpeg

Me too. :).

So far have just opened the box for a peek.

Also had my new prescription orange tint Zeiss sunglasses, to replace my ancient Axis Ranger pair. Tried them on Boxing Day and they were superb.

• Like 1

I am going to replace the Arising Star with the Tasman as the Arising Star has taken quite a beating in the past and I don't have much faith in it. 

The Tasman will keep me with two trainers alongside the Domino.

Still cant get a horizontal stabilisor for the Beaver yet.

Cheers

Toto

Hi Jake,

This 3D printing malarkey has really taken off and the proce of 3D printers has started to bottom out. One of my railway modelling buddies is a dab hand with the 3D printing and has gone on to design and print his own wagons and locomotives as well as other very handy beoke items.

I'd love to have my own laser cutter but my ability to take on new skills has somewhat diminished these days. I'm only just about starting to cope with the old technology that comes with assembling basic kits and dealing with servos and the likes.

Good luck with the 3D printing.

Toto

Various options Toto. You could look for a suitably sized CF or FG one but getting one the exact size can be quite a job. I bought one of the Seagull Models ones they sell for the J3 which looks like this

IMG_8077.thumb.jpeg.a74a17cb9202d5540fef3e68bd9739dd.jpeg

IMG_8078.thumb.jpeg.05ae24df12e0c9b3df3a0a7e15374102.jpeg

But as you can see it does require new mounting plates which I 3D printed.

Lastly you could strengthen the existing UC by fitting cross and horizontal braces.

Of course you can just leave as is and just be prepared to bend it back to shape if you have a heavy landing.

Many thanks for the above Ron.

it would be nice to eliminate the bending or at least to have to bend into shape after every landing. That was the position with the Beaver. Its a heavy model and no matter how expertly landed it was, the U/C always bent ( badly ) out of shape. OK .... fine ..... you just bend it back again but it is a PITA. 

I like the look of the above solution .... looks like plenty of added flexibility to take the impact. I have a good mate who is the doggies on 3D printing. he could be bust shortly. 😄 and thankfully ... likes a challenge every now and then.

I'll give it a bash as it comes initially but imagine that it will need a stronger set up.

again, many thanks for posting up the above.

toto

5 minutes ago, PDB said:

As above, Santa got me a Bambu Labs A1 (not the combo), going to be quite a change after a few years with Ender 3s. 

Very quick and easy set up and is on a different planet to the Ender, with the Slicer being very similar to the Prussa one . The noises and vibration tests are all quite normal on initial set up and is a good way to check your hearing on the varying frequency's.

• Like 1

Thanks Ron,

I thought of epoxy but if the brass tube will take to the U/C, I'd rather solder it I think.

I've just huckled the model together and for the time being, installed the original U/C until the one I have ordered has arrived from RC Motion as per your link. I also need a tyre blower upper as one of the tyres is a little too soft I think. I'll hunt around for one of those later as I am about to try and keep up with the young team at my nephews 21st Birthday outing. Ohhhhhhh ..... why do I agree to these things ..... I'm getting too old for this .... 😄

cheers

toto