Hot air gun

My well-used hot air gun started making funny mechanical noises yesterday. It still worked (I was using it to shrink tubing onto electrical connections) but instead of leaving well alone I investigated and in the process broke the element (it had become very fragile over the 20+ years I've had it). I need a new one. Any recommendations?

I have a humble single heat Black and Decker gun that has done much paint stripping over the last 15 years and it still works fine for heat shrinking.

The heating element of the 2 heat level version we had at the same time failed relatively quickly. I suspect because the two speeds of the motor did not correctly match the two settings of the heating element.

More of an observation than a specific recommendation. 

1 hour ago, Geoff S said:

My well-used hot air gun started making funny mechanical noises yesterday. It still worked (I was using it to shrink tubing onto electrical connections) but instead of leaving well alone I investigated and in the process broke the element (it had become very fragile over the 20+ years I've had it). I need a new one. Any recommendations?

I repaired the broken element on my hot air gun simply by interleaving a couple of turns on the spring like element back together across the break. It's worked faultlessly ever since.

Another vote for the Lidl Digital Hot Air Gun.  I bought one for work and liked it so much I bought another for home use.  I have one of the cream coloured Weller ones that I use for small jobs, but if its for use on covering film the Digital one is the bee's knees.

You can pick the Lidl one up from Ebay if you're not prepared to wait for the shop to get them in: 

Lidl Parkside Digital Hot Air Gun

and this one in an auction:

Parkside Digital Hot Air Gun Auction

• Like 1

Well, I do need one fairly quickly.  My old one got frequent use - mostly for shrinking electrical insulation on connector etc.  It had no temperature control - what temperature would you set for (say) shrinking film on a built-up wing?  I just used to waft mine around and avoided keeping the heat in place for more than a couple oof seconds.

I have both a specific model gun and a heat stripping gun.  I actually got the model one first and then the paint stripping one later when I needed to, errr, strip paint.

Personally, although the paint stripping one would probably do the job I prefer the model one because it is smaller and lighter - in fact if it broke I would probably replace it rather than use the paint stripper.

23 hours ago, Geoff S said:

Well, I do need one fairly quickly.  My old one got frequent use - mostly for shrinking electrical insulation on connector etc.  It had no temperature control - what temperature would you set for (say) shrinking film on a built-up wing?  I just used to waft mine around and avoided keeping the heat in place for more than a couple oof seconds.

Different makes of film have different requirements.  As I recall, Oracover (Polyester film) sticks from about 90°C but only shrinks from around 140°C.  It melts at approx 250°C.  You really need to find the instructions for the film you have, or failing that, do some experiments with scraps.

Solarfilm (Polyproylene film) is far more sensitive and easier to burn holes through.  This Solarfilm covering tutorial should answer most questions for it. 

Edited by Robin Colbourne
  • Like 1

On 28/01/2024 at 17:05, Robin Colbourne said:

Another vote for the Lidl Digital Hot Air Gun.  I bought one for work and liked it so much I bought another for home use.  I have one of the cream coloured Weller ones that I use for small jobs, but if its for use on covering film the Digital one is the bee's knees.

You can pick the Lidl one up from Ebay if you're not prepared to wait for the shop to get them in: 

Lidl Parkside Digital Hot Air Gun

and this one in an auction:

Parkside Digital Hot Air Gun Auction

Well, I've ordered the 'buy-it-now version' of the Parkside digital gun.  Thanks for the suggestions.

One thing I did use my old one for was to open my weekly jar of olives (I'm addicted to them!).  Sometimes the metal lid is so tight it needs some heat to expand it a bit. Not been too bad for the last few weeks, but I don't have the grip I once had so the gun had another use.  I've also used it to heat glow engine crankcases to get the main bearings out. It's a handy thing to have available.

• Like 2

I see that the Op has made a choice.

For the benefit of others reading this thread. I bought one from Wicks. I was asked to strip & re polish 14 tables for my sailing club. The largest being 1800 long. Most had flat solid legs so was relatively easy to strip, but some had turned legs & I had to grind shaped scrapers. I also ground shaped scrapers for the moulded lippings

The wicks heat gun has 4 settings, so I was able to avoid burning the existing veneer on the tops with a lower heat. ( I had to piece in a number of repairs) then turn the heat up for the solid parts. Burning the old finish from the mouldings needed care & the Wicks heat gun made this easy due to the control settings

So having used it for a few other tasks I would recommend it over others I have used.

• Like 1

Good to hear. I've tried out the one I bought and it seems fine.  I don't think any of the 4 sailing clubs I've been in had any polished tables, however 🙂   Though I had to stop sailing in 1990 - perhaps it's different now!