A cheap bench sander

Eric Robson

I have one, for some time, it was flagged some years back on this Forum. One of the most useful bits of kit I have ever purchased, just been using it today. The speed, finish and accuracy it provides, makes many jobs (if playing at model aircraft is a job) easy.

22 minutes ago, Stuart Z said:

I always use a  twin filter mask when sanding and vacuum out generally after as the sawdust collects inside.  Don’t like the noise of vacuum running all the time I’m working. 

(Collects inside the machine)

I've had one for some time and found it very useful.

A word of warning.  This afternoon I realised the disc was worn out. I undid the allen bolt underneath the tray to remove it and make access to the disc.  I replaced the disc OK but the allen bolt wouldn't tighten -  a captive nut had obviously come adrift. I took it apart (4 Phillips head self tappers underneath). After a search, the captive nut was found stuck to the outside of the motor. It's just a simple steel nut which loosely held in place by the moulded plastic case.  It's OK as long as you keep the sander more or less upright but if you turn it on its back, it'll fall out and you'll end up taking the sander apart as I've just done!

While searching for the stick-on discs in my sandpaper drawer (yes, I have one!) I found some stick-on detail sander papers.  I didn't think I had one, but a quick search revealed a Workzone bag with a detail sander in I'd forgotten I'd bought!  I probably saw it a troll down the Aldi middle aisle and bought it 'just in case' and promptly forgot I had.  It's handy because I could do with it on the Wot 4 fuselage build/repair I'm doing right now.