Laser Engines - Important Announcement

Jon H

Hello Jon. Sad news indeed. Are international sales available? I currently own 3 Lasers and would love to add another one or 2 before you go but given I'm in Australia obviously international postage would be required.

Quite a scene i find in my inbox this morning. 

I will get the whinge out of the way first. Please stop trying to order spares. Its not covid times any more and i am not selling loo roll, relax, its all in hand. As already mentioned model shop leeds will be managing spares support and even after the factory closes spares are still going to be in plentiful supply as long as people do not hoard things they do not need. Things like valve springs are dead easy as someone need only phone up the company who make them for us and order a bag. 500 springs will set you back about 2 grand, but you will have your springs and can sell them to all. 

With that out of the way i would like to say a big thank you to everyone for their messages of support. A number of you have asked what i will be doing with myself and i am quite proud of the fact that i have been offered a position by the Martin Baker Aircraft Company and will be assisting with the assembly of their various aviation safety systems. This is going to be a big change but i am looking forward to this new position. 

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Glenn Ryan said:

Hello Jon. Sad news indeed. Are international sales available? I currently own 3 Lasers and would love to add another one or 2 before you go but given I'm in Australia obviously international postage would be required.

No problem shipping down under 👍

19 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

With that out of the way i would like to say a big thank you to everyone for their messages of support. A number of you have asked what i will be doing with myself and i am quite proud of the fact that i have been offered a position by the Martin Baker Aircraft Company and will be assisting with the assembly of their various aviation safety systems. This is going to be a big change but i am looking forward to this new position. 

Just remember Jon.

If your new boss calls you into the office. DON'T SIT DOWN.    🤣

Edited by kevin b
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

I would like to thank Jon and the rest of the guys at Laser engines (past and present) for all their help and assistance over the relatively short period I have been involved in the hobby.

Wishing Jon all the best in the future with his new job.

Personally Jon and Laser Engines will be greatly missed, but time waits for no man and the hobby is in decline whether we like it or not and IC will be hit the hardest.

Great Engines and great service

• Like 1

A shame to hear about the closing of AGC Engineering and Laser Engines. Quality products like this and the level of support provided by Jon are getting increasingly rare in modern times.

All the best for the future, Jon,  and your new career at Martin-Baker. I hope we will see at Buckminster in September.

What a great shame Jon and I sincerely wish you the very best of good fortune in your new career with MB - top engineers are always in demand and you'll clearly have a secure future ahead of you. I'll not pass any comment on what's happened other than to say that I'm not in the least bit surprised.

The closure of Laser engines was inevitable. It is sad for me as I formed the company in 1983 with Reg Gross, Geoff’s father. I have not been involved for over 10 years. Geoff is now 70 and there is no one to take over the Company.

The good news for Laser owners is that they were manufactured from very high quality materials, will run for many hours and will survive quite serious crashes. With modern fuels there is very little maintenance or wear. Spares or repairs are rarely required. Bearings are standard, easily and cheaply bought from suppliers. Engines made from 1996 are the best made and I am sure will be powering models for many years.

Aeromodelling  has declined, we have lost most model shops, magazines and the membership of the BMFA has dropped from36,000 in 2004 to 2,6000 now.  Skills have been lost, it is far easier to buy a ready made foamie complete to fly. CAA legislation does not help.

Thank you to everyone who has made Laser Engines a British success. Best wishes to Jon for a bright future and being part of the Laser legacy.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Sad news for we engine appreciators but nothing stays the same forever. Very best of luck in the new career Jon. I have a rather modest pair of laser 70s but they are certainly cherished and will be even more so now.

Just an update on spares. 

The O rings we use are all available as standard sizes. The codes are listed below but will be passed on to model shop leeds. Getting more is as simple as calling the O ring supplier and asking for a bag. 

BS004 - Slow run needle

BS005 - Main needle

BS008 - Pushrod tube and rocker shaft

0045-10 - Main needle jet assy

BS011 - Small carb/exhaust stub

BS012 - Large Carb/exhaust stub

BS029 - Front bearing housing. 

The same is true of valve springs. The spec is going to be held by the company we buy them from. Getting more is as simple as phoning up and ordering them so there is no worry there. 

For reference again, bearings. 

608-2rs  - 45, 50, 61, 62, 70, 75 and 80 front bearing. Remove rear rubber seal

608 - Pinion drive bearing, all engines. 

6001-2rs - 90, 100, 120, 150, 155, 120v, 150v, 160(all), 180v, 200(all), 240v, 300v*, FT310 front bearing. remove rear seal 

6001 - 45, 50, 62 and 70 rear bearing

6002 - 61, 75, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 155, 120v, 150v, 160(all), 180v, 200(all), 240v, 300v*, FT310 rear bearing. 

6201-2rs - 180, 300v, 360v front bearing. remove rear seal. 

6202 - 180, 300v, 360v rear bearing. 

61902 - Middle crank bearing for inline's. 

* newer engines use the smaller bearing. Old 300v's use the larger 62XX bearings. 

I mentioned there might be a few oddballs for sale. 

I have a small number of petrol engines available, but most are incomplete. 

One is complete, has been test run but thats it. It will run fine, but as already mentioned they are not fully supported for spares (theres another thread here somewhere). 

I then have 4 incomplete engines which will be available. The core engine is complete, but they are missing their fuel pumps and carbs. I plan to fit them with a standard backplate, and then sell them in one of two configurations. As the engine with exhaust and cdi unit but no carb. you can do what you want for a carb, experiment with whatever you like and basically use it as a platform for your own tinkering. Alternatively, i can fit them with a glow carb and sell them as a normal 'glow' 180 but with CDI ignition. 

If these are of interest to anyone please contact me directly. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Well done to all involved with Laser for bringing some true quality engines to our hobby.

As the late great Douglas Adams said - so long, and thanks for all the fish.

Dear Laser Friends,

we are also very sad, as we had hoped to be able to take over the import of these fantastic engines for the EU.

As General Importer for ENYA, also such long-lasting and reliable engines, even not available at the moment, this would

have been a wonderful addition to our product range.

If you invest 500-1000 hours of work in a model aircraft, which engine was the first choice? LASER  ! ( or Enya 😉 )

So all I can do is say thank you and wish you both good luck for the future. A special thanks to Jon for his incredible support.

Remember your first Laser motor... ui, it looks a bit like LEGO 😉 but also so robust, so trustworthy... then on the test bench,

a few drops of fuel, put the glow on, a couple of flips and it ran until the tank was empty.

I think for many people it was love at first sight.

Thanks again and take care

Andy

P.S. who is looking for 2 Laser 155 for a Mosquito 1/6.5

Further small update. 

Almost all of the engines i have here are now sold. I think only 70's are left although frankly i have lost track its been so busy. 

No more engines are going to be completed before i leave at the end of the week so now all sales will be through model shop leeds. MSL are accepting orders through their website for engines that are out of stock. Just be aware that its first come first served and the number of orders may exceed the number of engines available. Be aware too that lead times will be long as the remaining engines are to be assembled after i leave. 

• Like 1

The same is true of valve springs. The spec is going to be held by the company we buy them from. Getting more is as simple as phoning up and ordering them so there is no worry there. 

For clarification Jon - are MSL going to hold/possibly replenish the stock of valve springs or were you saying that anyone would be able to order a couple of them from the supplier?