Open flying area

enquisiter

Unfortunately, the days of my youth back in the 60s and 70s where one could fly a small model aircraft just about anywhere, providing you behaved yourself, have long gone.

You can't just rock up to any old open area and fly models without someone having a point of view about it in 2024. Near airports and secure areas etc are also a no-go but they always were, it's just been made more official.

What model do you have? - is it more of a toy or is it a 'proper' R/C model? Depending on what it is will determine the best way forward for you.

Edited by Cuban8

Have all required qualifications and bmfa insurance. It's not illegal in public spaces to fly. Just looking for where..was hoping someone may be using an area and have an idea. Clubs seem more restrictive in my opinion..usually the result of committes and people with nothing better to do than make more and more ridiculous rules.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, enquisiter said:

Have all required qualifications and bmfa insurance. It's not illegal in public spaces to fly. Just looking for where..was hoping someone may be using an area and have an idea. Clubs seem more restrictive in my opinion..usually the result of committes and people with nothing better to do than make more and more ridiculous rules.

Most clubs have entirely sensible rules that are their for everyones benefit and safety and almost always the rules have been voted on and accepted by the membership. 

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, enquisiter said:

Here we go again

Am watching with interest

You could always start your own Club ...... no ......I didn't think so. I suspect you have not actually tried to join one. Maybe you should expand your horizons a bit.

Toto

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, enquisiter said:

It's not illegal in public spaces to fly. 

Don't believe anyone ever suggested it was illegal......

Find somewhere safe, where you're actually allowed to fly, fly sensibly and safely, don't damage the hobbies reputation any more, and fill yer boots.

No attitude ...... you never mentioned that you were considering joining a club in your post. The only reference to Clubs that you made were that they were restrictive and run by committees who were full of ridiculous rules. It sounded like a direct attack based on no given evidence or example.

I'll look forward to hearing about your club experience. I'm sure that with an open mind .... and a bit of mutual effort .... you will have a positive experience from which to base a fair decision. .... you may still decide against it but at least by then ...... you've gave it a fair chance.

I hope you enjoy.

Toto 

• Like 2

I live in the Dorset so I can’t help you unfortunately. What I would say is so much of public open spaces have bye-laws affecting them these days. Also National Trust, Forrestry Commission land and many national parks are not model aircraft friendly sadly. Your best bet is to politely ask a local farmer for permission…but good luck with that!

Not all clubs are the same so I suggest you visit two or three. Most are kindred spirits so generally want to make you feel welcome. It is human nature to be wary of newcomers to some degree however. Flying sites are hard to come by and easily lost if people get on the wrong side of the landowner. The club I recently joined is very friendly and any rules are just common sense. 

Good luck in your quest to find somewhere to fly and welcome to the forum by the way.

It does depend on the bylaws of the public space as to whether you are actually permitted to fly an RC plane. Throw in the unannounced arrival of Joe public and the 50 m rule you might find such a space is not easy to actually use safely.

It can be done, I do, but despite it being an out of the way site it is public access with a rough gravel car park area. I have to be very careful not to antagonise anyone and get actually barred by the land owner, the local council. There are already "no motor bike or golf" signs.

I hope you do find a suitable place. 

Edited by Simon Chaddock

13 hours ago, Richard Harris said:

Your more than welcome to pop round to my club and fly as guest to see what you think?

We are situated in Kidderminster, pm me if your interested? we are always looking for new members.

Thanks for that, where is your club?

12 hours ago, Don Fry said:

Before we start arguing, Enquisiter, welcome.
What’s  the aircraft? And can you fly it, any experience, past or current? And how old are you

Hi Don I'm 59 plane is fms pa-18 super cub 1300 and I used to fly back in 1980 😆  so starting over.

I’d say then, unless you wish to endlessly crash, repair, replace, join a club for a bit, learn on a buddy lead. The muscle memories don’t come as quickly as we age. Getting the thing off the ground is easy. Putting it down again, in oneish piece isn’t so easy.

Then you then wish to go it alone, your choise.

59? a mere child as far as most of us are concerned. I can't answer your question, I'm too far away.

But some advice. Your going to be just a wee bit rusty, and probably very slow, so get some help. It's not easy

Get insured, remember our old friend Murphy

And, as my mentor Hughie said about a zillion years ago.  The first rule is 'enjoy it'

ernie

38 minutes ago, enquisiter said:

Muscle mem pretty good as been on sim for a while now. Reaction times good too I'm a biker of 40 odd years 😆 

Like Ernie I live too far away to be able to offer advice as to where to find a suitable "open flying area." However, I've lived most of my life in Shropshire and I used to fly from a farmer's field but preferred the companionship of a club. I only got permission to fly at that field because my best friend had a Private Pilot's Licence  and he knew a farmer who also had a PPL and who had built a model aircraft as well.

I wish you the best of luck in finding an "open flying area" but I can't understand your reluctance to join a club. In my experience any restrictions which a club imposes, not flying over certain areas for example, are there for the safety of club members and the general public.

Perhaps you'll let us know how you get on.

PS. I've held a motor cycle licece for sixty years.

Bike at the Serbian Border.JPG

Edited by David Davis