Ideas for articles in RCM&E

Alan Cobham was an influence on aircraft and flying between the wars. I know that the RCM&E has supported the Forum's mass builds. How about supporting a Model Cobham Flying Circus?

There might be an article on the man and his aircraft. Then a series of articles looking in more detail at his various mounts, both in full size and as models.

Perhaps the usual suspects might be encouraged to design and build to that theme.

Two points of (possible )interest.

1. When Cobham's Flying Circus ended the aircraft were bought by one CW Scott, who then had built a flying flea - Which was painted in Bertie Basset scheme, currently being built and blogged on the forum.
  2. My Dad had a joy-flight with Alan Cobham. He went on to Join the RAF, and to later get his PPL, and to own a Cessna, in which I flew many hours. This inoculated me with an interest in flying things, which results in me being here, now, typing this.

Plummet

p.s.  I am not suggesting that all the models be 50% scalewink

Edited By Plummet on 14/03/2014 20:48:59

Advert

I haven't been active for so long as many of the other readers, but in my 5+ years as active model flyer I have only once visited another club. But when I read about club life, especially from other countries, I notice there seems to be quite a large diversity regarding facilities, activities and practice between the clubs. Also there seems to be some diversity between how 'non-club-flying' (I don't find the correct English word. I mean flying outside a regular club-field, for instance on slopes) is allowed between different countries.

In our Swedish golf magazine there is an article each issue from one of the clubs in the Swedish golf association - a new club for each issue. The article often contains some club history, always contains a brief guide to the course and sometimes some anecdotes from the course, the members or the club.

What about having such a series of articles in RCM&E? I guess most of the readers are from UK so of course most of the visited clubs also should be from there, but an occasional visit to other countries would - at least to me - add some spice to the serie.

/Stefan

I have read some (far too few) traveling articles in various modeling magazines. Apart from beautiful pictures those articles also contains colourful descriptions of the sites as well as (at least sometimes) useful information regarding how to get there and where to stay. Sometimes the visited site is a local club that's close to a vacation facility so the pilot can have some flying while the wife adds to the tan at the beach, sometimes the trip is for a dedicated destination (I've noticed there are some alpine hotels that advertising themselves to slope flyers during their low-season (the summer)).

I would be very glad to see some travel articles in the magazine. The destinations don't have to be overly fancy or expensive (what's next door to one person may be very exotic to me) and may alter between 'an over-day-trip for the Londoner' to 'the hobby-vacation of your life'. Yes, I know I probably can't afford going to most of these places, but it's not forbidden to keep on dreaming, is it?

/Stefan

P.S. As a bonus the magazine might find a new advertiser category in the hotels close to the upcoming destinations?

Edited By Stefan Revestam on 17/03/2014 14:20:07

Edited By Stefan Revestam on 17/03/2014 14:20:24

Just one last post, then I shall be quiet (at least for a while wink).

I love reading model reviews, just keep let them coming. But one thing I've noticed is that they rarely gives any facts or figures. It might be a cultural issue (I'm under the impression that us Swedes are more fond of figures than most other nationalities), but would it be possible to get some more facts? As an example, in a typical glider review phrases like 'she climbs quite fast to the sky with the xxx motor and a 12x6' are quite common, but to me, as being both a beginner and a number-fanatic, this just raises questions. Does 'quite fast' means she will get to 200m below 30s and thus suitable for F5J and/or ALES? And phrases like 'she glides very well and gives the impression of wanting to stay up forever', does this mean a sink rate above or below, say, 0.3 m/s?

OK, neither of the above phrases is a direct quote - I just made them up for the sake of the discussion. But I find both quite typical for any glider review. I think the reviews of motor planes tend to be similair, but there I'm too noob to even notice any lack of numbers.

So is it just me who would like to see some more facts and figures, or may there be a general demand?

/Stefan

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Stefan Revestam on 17/03/2014 14:45:50:

Just one last post, then I shall be quiet (at least for a while wink).

I love reading model reviews, just keep let them coming. But one thing I've noticed is that they rarely gives any facts or figures. It might be a cultural issue (I'm under the impression that us Swedes are more fond of figures than most other nationalities), but would it be possible to get some more facts? As an example, in a typical glider review phrases like 'she climbs quite fast to the sky with the xxx motor and a 12x6' are quite common, but to me, as being both a beginner and a number-fanatic, this just raises questions. Does 'quite fast' means she will get to 200m below 30s and thus suitable for F5J and/or ALES? And phrases like 'she glides very well and gives the impression of wanting to stay up forever', does this mean a sink rate above or below, say, 0.3 m/s?

OK, neither of the above phrases is a direct quote - I just made them up for the sake of the discussion. But I find both quite typical for any glider review. I think the reviews of motor planes tend to be similair, but there I'm too noob to even notice any lack of numbers.

So is it just me who would like to see some more facts and figures, or may there be a general demand?

/Stefan

Stefan, interesting point and with advent of telemetry logging equipment pretty easy to do, I have already used this to log my glider bungey launches. I have already used telemetry to note in flight cruising current etc but wasn't sure whether this is of any interest to anybody other than me (maybe I should move to Swedenlaugh)

Got to agree with JS1,

I would like to see articles by non-professional modellers. They could be reviews, or "what we get up to at our field" etc. I love to see write-ups about 66% models or turbine planes etc. don't get me wrong, but I would like to see stuff about what other modellers are up to who like myself aren't gifted pilots with deep pockets.

Send me a kit and I will write a review on it smile d.

Shaunie.

I think it would be nice to see a few PSS free plan articles seeing as you are covering it more now in the mag. which is good as it is something i have not done but am very interested in giving a go. i have done slope soaring with a middle phase 2 and really like it. if there was a plan of a 109 or something like that, i would be really tempted to give it a whirl. really enjoying the variety of articles in the mag keep up the good work.

p.s i often thought if it were possible to film the maidens/flites after ironed out wrinckles of the plan built models for us to watch on this site would be a great bonus to the description given in the article, just an ideasmile

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Recently we got some dials for scale models, how about an insert of stickers for marking servo connectors etc?

I'm sure there are plenty of things we would like to legend, ON and OFF etc. plus all the usual things such as servo functions, fill, drain. These are just a few there must be loads of others. Enough to make an A5 sheet I'm sure.

Shaunie

• 1 month later...

Ok - here's my thoughts. Could we have something on scale retractable or fixed sprung and/or dampened DIY u/c even if using commercial parts to use/modify.

For me, this is one part of the market that isn't really satisfied by commercial answers. There doesn't seems to be a middle ground. There's HK etc and then there are bespoke or Unitracts. So is there someone out there who can show us how to do better u/c in the way that Brian Winch is to engines, Prof Dave Burton is to aerodynamics (and boat buildingdevil) or Danny Fenton is to scale?

What do you think?

Terry

How about an occasional update on old free plans. There have been many great ones over the years that a lot of newer modellers don't even know exist. It's ok, but a catalogue of old plans only gives you a single photo and no indication as to the building of the model. Some of those old designs would also benefit from modern equipment. Plus it would be cheap for the magazine to do. I'm sure there will be one or two reviewers (new as well as old) who would be interested in looking through the back catalogue.

I agree on the PSS plan reviews. I just subscribed to the Magazine and it would be nice to see a couple of PSS free plans thrown into the mix . I will continue subscribing, love the magazine. My one just arrived yesterday and no disappointment as usual. Love it laugh...

Keep up the good work guys.

I haven't looked through the whole thread, so this might have already been suggested, but what about a monthly visit to a club - just a couple of pages, with lots of pictures, showing club sites around and about the country and what everyday modellers are up to. I've visited a few club sites as a guest and at fly-ins and have always been hugely impressed with the standard of aeromodelling that is on display.

We're blessed with some marvellous flying sites, and other sites with foibles and challenges and a monthly look at a club site, in a tour around the country would be a really nice feature. Regular pen pictures of model clubs used to be a regular feature in Radio Modeller, but with the far greater use of photographs it could make a really nice feature.

Maybe a job for Alex and Mike, with the Command Module on tour, or in fact. it need not involve the staff writers as much as at first thought - submissions from the most active clubs would probably be forthcoming if asked for.

Posted by A.A. Barry on 29/07/2014 00:15:25:

I agree with Kevin d, a great contender would be Pete Wilsons 65" W/Whirlwind........oops, I'll put me soapbox back in the cupboard... he..he angel

Barry

Barry - I think Pete's Whirlwind was on the other channel, wasn't it? Is that your build of the Whirlwind in your avatar? Looks very nice.

Posted by ken anderson. on 27/07/2014 19:04:03:

bump-anyone know if their ideas have been accepted for the mag article's.......seems a massive response to this thread ......

ken Anderson....ne....1 ..... response dept.

Yes, the request for an article on colour schemes and how to do them was asked for and published.