World Cup

Jonathan Lewzey

can't find any threads on it so thought i'd start my own

who's watching? i'm watching as much as i can despite revising for 3 A level exams next week

all been good so far except those annoying horns that it seems everyone in the crowd has and of course 1-1 with USA

any early predictions on tournament winner? i have to say it'll take a lot to beat spain they look very strong, but come on england  

Advert

I totally agree with Big Phil.
I do not understand the enthusiasm or fanatisim that surrounds the GAME of football, or why it has to alter all the telly schedules.

As for the obscene amounts of money that seem to suround the game, just don't get me started.......

I will be very glad when it is all over and we go back to what we call normallity.

No BP, you are not a nutter, unless I am too?

I played a lot of football in times past. I like football and I like watching the big tournaments such as this and have my own opinions.

However I cant help thinking I'm sat in a Bee hive while wacthing it!  Best of all it gets louder when the African countries play!

I played a lot of football in times past. I like football and I like watching the big tournaments such as this and have my own opinions.

However I cant help thinking I'm sat in a Bee hive while watching it!  Best of all it gets louder when the African countries play!  Hmm - Great!

I'm supporting Spain. I have £15 resting on them.

And poor Whatever-His-Name-Is Green... How embarrassing. Other than that, now that I can say I have watched an entire game of football, I can confirm how rubbish watching is, compared to playing.

Eric
Couldn't agree more -but it seems that mob ,non- participatory ( so called "supporters") mentality has taken over in so many fields of money making organisations under the name of sport . As for millions spent on the olympics to watch people running & jumping etc , I rest my case .I have seen about 10 minutes of the England match but I do wish the producers of the programme would reduce the "Bee hive" effect.Not that difficult surely .As a musician ,it really hurts my ears to hear that rubbish (empty vessels make the most noise comes to mind).I think it just reinforces most of our opinions so far about modern football doesn't it ? On a channel called Yesterday I happened to watch a game played in 1940 I think it was Wolverhampton .What a difference .That was when it was a sport .
 I' ll stick to actually making or doing something ,like the rest of us

Seems like I'm like a lot of others on here - football does very little for me.

I quite enjoy kicking a football around with the kids (or at least I did when they were younger!), but watching it is a yawn! I can't see why people get so excited about it?

Now if it was watching the BBMF doing flypast, or the Red Arrows that I could understand the attraction of...or spending 4 hours standing in a cold muddy field in mid winter flying a toy aeroplane around - no problem . The attractions of these things are obvious - I'm sure you all agree 

But foorball? Cricket? Athletics? or (worst of all) Golf? Nah, I don't think so.

BEB

I shall only be watching the England games although I will keep my ear to the ground to see how Australia and Italy fare as I have money on them in a works sweepstake.

I watched the England game on HD, and what pigs ear ITV made of that cutting to an ad break 4 minutes into the game, just as England scored. What a bunch of numpties!

Still, with so much footie on the tele it gives me more chance to do model stuff.

here's a snippet for you's--up here in god's country we have produced some fine lad's who could 'kick a football'.............one of which was our own Jackie Milburn...who i met once...and when he passed away my wife bought me a video with his life story on...when he first signed for Newcastle United during the last day's of the war he was working down the 'pit' at ashington......and to be allowed off on a sat to play-he had to work a double shift on a friday.....

howay the lad's ken anderson......ne...1..

I bet he was fit though!

When I was a little kid we lived in Anfield and, according to my parents, in those days the Liverpool players used to do their training runs around the district. Apparently I often had my blond locks "toussled" by the great Billy Liddle. I hasten to add that I have no recollection of this auspicious happening and obviously none of his great talent rubbed off on me - probably just as well really!

BEB

I'm not a footy fan particularly but do enjoy watching England's finest overpaid idiots giving the country something else to be happy about, probably cheers them all up after watching that other brain disolving twoddle Eastenders, Its great to see all those little flags flying from the windows of the terraced houses in the towns and cluttering up the gutters and hedgerows everywhere else, the drunks having a good ol punch-up in the street after we've lost, the roads strewn with broken bottles and glass from the night before the numptys on the telly who all changed their names to Rooney by deed-poll. It must make the guys very proud who faught for these freedoms on the beaches of France. And if i hear 1966 mentioned again i'm emigrating.....oh thats right i am. English and no longer proud!