Biggles' Mess

I still cant get my head around why the people who run this forum allow the personal profile/personal details of a former forumite who has sadly died to be freely available when you click on their profile/name-I think that it is vey bad taste etc......and was reminded this evening when an old thread was resurrected and there his thread reply was ..... and his profile which obviously is no longer valid-still there---and I think its even worse when people who don't that particular person has departed......post an answer to them! ......... I have brought this subject up in the past and have been given a not very convincing reply.....time for a re-think forum owner's don't you think? ..

ken anderson...ne..1

I agree with that Ken

Their profile should be made private so messages cannot be sent etc, and perhaps also show under the name (account no longer active) or something like that.

You cannot really delete accounts on a forum because that would make a mess of discussion threads if the persons posts were all deleted.

It's a fair cop Ken....you make a good point.

If you are refering to who I think you are refering then I have done as you suggested & made his profile private. That won't stop people "answering" him however & as WF says to delete all his posts would make those discussion threads very messy.

So...an open & honest question...how should we handle this sort of thing? Alter the nickname? To what? Maybe we could add "Account Not Active - RIP" or similar to the existing name?

What does everyone think?

Of course we can only do this when we know the member has passed away. In many cases we simply won't know....what then?

It would be appropriate to mark their account status in some way, hopefully as a mark of respect but also in an aviation related theme.

RIP sounds a little formal. Does "Flying with Angels" sound to flippant or disrespectful? I'm sure someone can come up with something better.

Shaunie.

It's a strange one, obviously we want to be respectful but you can't delete people from history either and nor should you. Even making a profile private is debatable but marking it in some way wold be appropriate "account not active" perhaps, or even being bold and going with "member deceased" as a footnote. I don't think I would be offended if it were me.

I for one do not worry that some one has died, I certainly do not want to forget them, their views. In many ways it is via their contributions that they live on in some ways, if I knew them, their personality has added tangibility from their writings. If I did not a little still shines on.

We will all die, although I am not in a hurry to die, neither do I want to be consigned to the dust of time prematurely, that my thoughts no longer worthy of consideration, just because I am no longer in this world.

I certainly wouldn't want to see the posts of any deceased member removed. That would not only be messy, more importantly I think, it would be very disrespectful. The member in question made very many valuable and highly knowledgable contributions to this forum, they should in my view live on as his legacy to us. Personally I'm pleased that folks still find them so useful that they spur them on to comment.

But yes, asking questions targeted at a member sadly no longer with us is unfortunate. I don't feel its disrespectful, for the reasons I have given above, but it can be upsetting for long established members.

Perhaps the direct approach is best - maybe simply add "Member deceased".

Beb

I agree - we need to keep there memory and writings intact.

Private profile to prevent PM's makes sense, and a note on the username, or a tag, where mods have moderator?

Something simple - Flown Home, RIP, Member Deceased, Ex-parrot (sorry couldn't resist a bit of Python) or similar.

Linked to this, perhaps a function where if we know we will be away for a while for some reason a note to that effect. If I was going to be working away without internet access for a period, a little comment - away - would save people sending me messages or rerplying to posts and getting annoyed at a lack of response....

I'm keeping an eye on this, I think it is a good idea to remember and keep a members posts intact in a nice and respectful way

I just wanted to add that you can set a status to say "Away" or whatever as a little note. You can set that in the 'MyFriends' box with your avatar

Absolutely agree, Malcolm. I don't think deletion of posts was ever considered as an option, TBH, for all the reasons mentioned above. It was more a case of wondering how we can get the message over in the most appropriate and sensitive way.

It might, in certain circumstances, be appropriate to lock a particular thread and we'd treat each instance as it arises and, no doubt, add an explanation.

Pete

Posted by Olly P on 19/06/2014 11:21:28:

Private profile to prevent PM's makes sense, ...

But you can send a PM without going anywhere near a member's profile. There's a "Message member" link under every post, whether or not that member has a public profile.

Whether or not that link could be easily removed from posts of deceased members I don't know, but it should be easy to ensure that any PMs just go to the forum equivalent of "/dev/null" ie. don't get sent to the ex-member and possibly notified to an email account he might have shared with his family...

Posted by Shaunie on 18/06/2014 21:49:28

RIP sounds a little formal. Does "Flying with Angels" sound to flippant or disrespectful?

Shaunie.

All well and good for you Saint's but what about me. "O" him, well he took a dive too many...

RIP sounds ok to me, how about just a personal thought if you knew the person well enough, I would.

David

I apologize in advance if I hurt someone but my intention is positive ,so is it possible that the deceased member is marked with a small black ribbon (graphic) on any corner of the image or profile .... also,
I have seen on film or television announcements, to deceased actors or film artists, they names to set in the graphic rectangle.