Wind & Aircraft

stewart grant

What is it about aeromodellers and the effect of wind on an aircraft? I've just looked on the forum regarding this and most of it is wrong!

Wind does NOT effect the airspeed of an aircraft. When a model is travelling downwind the GROUND speed increases. The airflow over the wing stays at the same speed assuming you hav'nt changed the attitude or throttle setting.

The rubbish that even experienced modellers spout about wind and airspeed is pathetic, even instructors and examiners seldom understand this fundamental of flight.

Gusts and wind gradient are variables in terms of AIR speed but are easily explained if anyone is interested.

The reason a model apparently climbs into wind is because its already trimmed to climb! Its just travelling slower relative to the pilot on the ground so it has more TIME to climb. When travelling downwind its moving faster over the GROUND so its got less TIME to climb before the neccessary turn. Plus the angle/perspective can be different and the model APPEARS not to have climbed as it may have travelelled further downwind because of the GROUND speed.

PLEASE STOP perpetuating this myth that wind increases or decreases airflow, lift and control response of an aircraft in flight.

cor,    nice 1st post,         you know, this reminds me of an instance eons ago,      skyways models mewgull,    OS61fsr,   well throttled back, going downwind on a breezy day,     says me,  you could do with a tad more power on,   says him,      listen laddy, (i was 40)   if you dont tell the plane its going downwind,  it wont know,            seconds later,  it tipstalled, and went in vertical        says me,      dont tell it it crashed, and it wont know

Stewart,

I fully agree with you on this but it's a recurring theme, both at club level and on the forum and very difficult to shift entrenched attitudes.  People see models crashing during downwind turns or zooming when turning into wind and simplified logic provides an easy explanation which is totally incorrect.

The other main reason for these effects is expectation of the effects of turning relative to the ground leading to pilot inputs causing these apparent effects.

Posted by PatMc on 16/01/2011 22:43:32:
Is this a 5 minute argument or the full half hour ?

Reckon he might be going for the full on punch-up in the car park Pat
 Watch this space I guess.  Excellent 1st post Stewart

BB

And Einstein may ask if Birmingham and Manchester stop at his train.

I think most people know the true facts, but the concept works to explain what happens and how to avoid it, and that is what really matters.

Most modellers are hobby flyers, not professors of aerodynamics or anything.

It's said that those who can't do it, teach it, and those who can't teach it, teach the teachers.

People who fly models are the one who can do it

This argument is at least 40 years old, the model is flying in a box of still air, the box of air is moving downwind at wind speed. The apparent balloning when you turn on to finals is attributed to the eye/brain taking a few frames to appreciate the change in apparent airspeed. (ducks back behind the wall!)

Stewart,

Read the thread "gusts and stalling" and you will see how heated the debate
got.  But in the model world so long as they fly i dont think this is a great issue.
 Just my two penny"s worth.

Cheers Weasel.....

p.s Hope you enjoy the friendly forum..

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/01/2011 23:14:56

Posted by Ernie on 17/01/2011 17:32:10:
Here we go again....Surely you launch with the wind directly behind so that the mopdel goes faster, and the lifting molecule things are more efficient

ernie

I always launch mine with the wind from one side. That way the models tendancy to go sideways counteracts the earths spin and the plane goes straight. Never fails.

D

Posted by flytilbroke on 17/01/2011 19:30:05:
The Right hand adverts are again on top of the thread. Hmph.

Yep...

MODS...  The problem is in "weasel"'s post at 12:56:30.

On the first line, following "Stewart," there are about 140 non-breaking spaces (&nbsp[semi-colon] ) which are the achilles heel of this forum and muck up the formatting of the first page.

Delete everything on that line to the right of the comma and we'll be able to read the earlier posts in their entirety rather than guessing the missing words (or cheating by reading the page source - but that's a little tedious!)

And once again,  PLEASE can we have some validation (in the forum code) on the input to stop this happening.  It's not difficult.

Edited By John Privett on 17/01/2011 23:09:04