Ebay sellers...

Answering questions is time consuming.

Often when I sell I get questions asking the dimensions of an object, when it is in the description or even in the title.Or I'm asked what the postage would be to Australia or Poland etc, when the asker can google those questions as easily as I can, and with more motivation.

Sorry, I cannot agree with that at all. Without the accurate weight and size infomation after the object is packed a buyer cannot look up a postage cost, not to mention variations in cover for different options - ie tracked, insured, airmail, landmail and language barriers. If I am selling something I am the seller and as such I will use the best service that I choose for my peace of mind and tell them the price then it is their choice as to whether or not they want to bid. It also saves a possible argument at the end when the postage cost is above what they 'googled' from Outer-Mongolia.

I have posted stuff all over, from Australia to Christmas Island and it amazes me the money people will pay to move stuff around the world, but it does make it their choice and is not really that time consuming to look in a leaflet or a web page is it?

Well, his Airsail Chipmunk doesn't look too bad a project for someone...if the second cowling is a Carbon Copy glass one then that's worth the current bid (£18) alone!

TBH his models just look as though they've been in storage for a few years with the inevitable knocks...

Edited By Martin Harris on 25/02/2016 00:32:39

I blame the advent of the Internet and Car Boot Sales (and SwapMeets) for the rise in the amount of absolute rubbish which is offered for sale.

In days gone by, this sort of old tat would have, quite rightly, been thrown in the bin. But people have no shame nowadays and seem to think that any bit of old scrap should command a high value.

Yes, there are some genuine bargains to be had out there, but beware of buying elderly goodies of unknown provenance -- too many people have forgotten how to use a bin.

B.C.

Last yearI went round to see a friend who had just dumped about 13 engines in his dustbin. Some quite vintage most damaged or gummed up, included a couple of ST 15s etc.

|I told him to put them on EBay as a job lot. He laughed at me but I insisted.

Eventually he did as "spares or repair" . I thought that he might get £80 plus.

We were both amazed when they sold for about £171.

Does anyone know the ebay seller darbrorcmodels ? I received an order from them today along with this letter, I was aware that some ebay rc accessory prices were going up some but on checking his shop sticker price and his Eshop prices against what I paid I was horrified to see that I paid nearly double for 4 propellers,blush the reasons for this he details in the letter and given I frequently purchase from different sellers and have never had a communication such as this I wondered if any one else had, yes I've deleted the discount code yes

page 1 letter from darbrorc.jpg

page 2 letter from darbrorc.jpg

EBay is amazing but so is Amazon.

I've just bought a new USB to USB micro lead to charge my tablet. It was 99p. It arrived this morning just a couple of days later and I had to sign for it! 20p of the price was VAT; there would be a PayPal charge; then of course there was postage! How could they be bothered to put it in the plastic envelope and post it for what? 40p? And what about the poor devils that made it? It works btw

My wife has just bought a new rack pack for her bike as the old one after some 10 years is falling apart. On Amazon it was £33 but direct from the same on-line shop (which I think is also a bricks and mortar one) it was £7 dearer. Because we're stupidly rich and hate Amazon we paid the extra

Strange world and I'm not sure I like all of it.

Geoff

Posted by Phil Winks on 01/03/2016 19:08:06:

Does anyone know the ebay seller darbrorcmodels ? I received an order from them today along with this letter, I was aware that some ebay rc accessory prices were going up some but on checking his shop sticker price and his Eshop prices against what I paid I was horrified to see that I paid nearly double for 4 propellers,blush the reasons for this he details in the letter and given I frequently purchase from different sellers and have never had a communication such as this I wondered if any one else had, yes I've deleted the discount code yes

I've had no dealings with them myself, but if I'm reading this correctly, I don't see it as particularly unreasonable at all.  I believe you saw the props advertised at a price that you were happy to pay and they were supplied as ordered? Whether or not the internet price is higher than the shop price - and to their credit they have made no secret of the fact - that was the basis of your contract and they seem like a reputable firm on the evidence I can see!

Edited By Martin Harris on 04/03/2016 12:26:23

Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 04/03/2016 11:59:57:

If you can use the words Vintage, Rare or in this case Very Rare LINK sellers think they have licence to print money.

I wonder why 'very rare' automatically equates to valuable? I've got lots of very rare, even unique, stuff but not much of it has any great value. Perhaps I ought to put some on eBay.

Is it true that as soon as a 'rare and valuable' kit is actually built the value drops dramatically? As I haven't been a modeller all my life none of this has much interest for me but I suppose it's mostly nostalgia for those who have. My nostalgia relates to motor cycles of the 50s and 60s but I haven't any left now.

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...