Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

I am berift of exact information. Spectrum it was. 9 channel. Used 2 remote recievers, could wire a module to it to produce a 18 channel unit. At a guess, bear in mind it has been sledged, and it's 20 km away in a bin. A 9020 DSMX???

I have been doing Spectrum for three? years. No problems. Last summer I had a OD big hack, and its receiver, a AR 8000 was not up to the job, a channel short, and was swapped to a 9 channel unit. And modified to a taildragger, and stiffened rear end, and CG moved back. The result was a dream to fly. Till it died at a hundred meters up.

I tested the unit. And retested. Rangechecked, and again. And then it failed again. Hence the sledgehammer.

After the first fail, I thought I had switched the tranni off. But not this time, it went to failsafe. It was in a slow turn, still away from me, nothing but balsa between me and the reciever, and its satellites. And the moter went to idle, and it dropped, with much idle stick waddling to no avail.

I hope this makes sense. I am quite benign on a superb malt I bought on the way home. Game of blood. If afraid to break one, do a boat.

dsc03913.jpgdsc03911.jpgThis is my 1/14 (22" span) Scale Sopwith Triplane built for the RC Scale Indoor Nationals. Weight is 143gms but a few finishing touches are needed including setting the CG and flight tests. The CG should be fine with the radio all up front. I have never attempted anything like this before so am not really confident it will survive flight tests so plan B is a very simple Keil Kraft Piper Family Cruiser for the flying only class. The Tripehound is based on N533 flown by Raymond Collishaw in July 1917 and the Black and white picture is a recreation of the only surviving photo of this aircraft.

Bought this morning for 100 Euros including a 4S 4000mah lipo. Only needs a Rx.

I wasn't particularly looking for a Cub but couldn't pass it up. 1.8m span.

cub 1.jpg

cub 2.jpg

cub 3.jpg

It needs a few changes/improvements here and there and I might detail out the cockpit as a mini project. But for the price I'm not complaining.

Edited By Steve Colman on 25/02/2017 14:55:05

After a number of false starts and duff motor, esc and prop combinations I have finally finished the 1970s Rojair ME163 kit I bought ages ago. The photo shows it before I gave it a matt finishing coat, which has improved the appearance significantly, and there's no prop installed. Flying it is "interesting" as in crap my pants interesting, as it does around 80mph in level flight, is as twitchy as blazes even with small throws, heaps of expo and a slightly forward cg, and climbs like a homesick angel. Needs a reasonably good chuck to get going but accelerates rapidly once it gains a bit of lift. It is also surprisingly difficult to see head on, which lead to an early flight landing in a ploughed field. One of the club members who flies pylon racer type planes had a go and really showed what it was capable of, he reckons it's a high performance pussycat that ignores the wind, which bodes well for me once I get used to it.

It has a Turnigy NTM 3536 1800kv motor running on a 4S 3000mAh battery, turning a 9x4 APCe prop, gives a thrust to weight ratio of about 1.7:1 and around 250 watts per pound with an all up weight of 3 pounds. After 5 minutes relatively gentle flying with a bit of insane vertical I still had 50% battery capacity left, so should be nice to fly once I get the setup tweaked and my heart slows down a bit.

rojair me163.jpg

Edited By Gordon Brown on 25/02/2017 20:11:27

Edited By Gordon Brown on 25/02/2017 20:12:31

The Rojair Komet is 42 inch wingspan, it's not the same as yours as mine is not a composite but is blow moulded polyethylene and the fuselage was split horizontally. No rudder on mine either, I understand that due to the very short tail moment the rudder is ineffective in any case. Having said that I'm considering separating the rudder from the moulding and making it active as I miss it for landings. Any idea who made yours? Could be an early Jim Fox version which I think are about 36 inch wingspan.

Your fuz will almost certainly build into a more practical model than the model i have built.

my model is 940 span, by Cloud Models.

As most of the small 163s, getting the model away is the problem. Once flying the issues disappear. Perhaps other than landing, being of small cross section and very clean, it does not slow up much, with a shallow, fast glide.

I keep considering building a larger version, as i am convinced it would be more practical

Posted by KiwiKid on 26/02/2017 06:34:20:

Unsure of the kit origin (no plans!) - fuse is about 1m long so w/s should be around 1.3m.

Have a look at Sunshine Modelbau (Germany) especially this page, looks similar to yours. https://www.sunshine-modellbau.de/sunshine-flugmodelle/militaermodelle/me-163-b-1a/modell-me-163-b-1a/1.

If the fuselage length is around 1m you are likey to have a wingspan of around 1.55m, which is pretty big for this model and will be about 1:6 scale.

I have just finished my latest model.

wp_20170228_09_50_41_pro.jpg

wp_20170228_09_50_56_pro.jpg

wp_20170228_09_51_04_pro.jpg

wp_20170228_09_51_24_pro.jpg

I hope to fly it in the near future, although I cannot easily get to our field due to Fracking protestors, both blocking the "A" road, also the intimation by some of the protestors towards motorists. If I had to make a living using the road, I would be incensed by the inaction of the Police, to protect the public and making use of a very wide road..

Anyway hoping for better times ( as i am being chauffeured at present).