Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Posted by Levanter on 01/02/2018 09:56:03:

Toot Sweet.

Finished this week from a Peter Miller plan. Now I will be able to speed up progress on the Grumpy Tiger Cub.
p1040477.jpg

And here is Toot with his little sis Yuppy Love.

p1040484.jpg

Yuppy was built a couple of years ago and was quite a bit harder to build being much smaller.

Levanter

Nice! I've seen the plans on E-bay a few times and have been sorely tempted.

Advert

• 4 weeks later...

Any new models about for show and tell?

This model is new to me in that it is a sloper I have had for awhile, but have just completed an electric conversion on it using a HK Gliderdrive 900kv motor. Flies amazingly well and from experience with other powered slopers it should continue to perform well as a sloper.

pic_0099.jpg

pic_0107.jpg

Another new one
​Topsy from an old Graupner kit. Electrified and a few other mods as the radio gear weighs a fraction of the stuff that was detailed on the drawing. Incidence reduced on wings. Flat tailplane instead of lifting. Increased rudder area. Elevators added

p1040488.jpg

p1040490.jpg
p1040492.jpg

The fuselage was tissue covered and hand painted. The flying surfaces are covered using Litespan and home-made graphics.

​The white wing bands are made from ordinary elastic for hanging on the ceilings and a recent idea. They are more resistant to UV light than the rubber bands used when flying and so I now have no more aircraft making unauthorised indoor flights.

​Not maidened yet.

​Levanter

VQ models / Hobbyking SBD Dauntless, converted to PSS and ready for the slope. Working split dive brakes, bomb drop, 3d printed engine. I also modified the canopy to how they seemed to fly in action (basically open front and rear), removed tailwheel and retracts etc.

Ready for more PSSA bomb drop competitions yes

20180304_142459.jpg

20180304_142430.jpg

20180304_142527.jpg

Alan - hope it all works well, we'll see soon on the Orme yes

David - Yes it's a strange mechanism that. Just when you want everything to be tight at fully closed, the linkage becomes sloppy. I didn't mount the servo to the hatch as the instructions recommended, mounting it into the wing panel on a small servo tray instead. I also didn't use the naff method of mounting the aileron servos out of the bottom of the wing, and made trays again and mounted them flat in the wing again.

I have taped the centre flap in the closed position as I didn't want to add another servo increasing the weight past her portly 6lb AUW as it is. Also it would interfere with the bomb when its loaded, oops!

Even though its a Hobbyking bomb, I'm using an e-flight release unit as I had one spare and they seem a better option.

Not exactly been flying weather has it so thought I would have a go at " Pusharoo". It has flown but launching technique needs a little work. ( pusharoo = drawn up a plan from a pushycat a kangaroo and a funjet.

done.jpg

complete.jpg

Thanks for the info. The motor specs are similar so at least I now have an idea of what's required. Mine will just be a 3 channel one and I'll try to move the elevator and rudder servos as far forward as possible. It only cost me £20 from Ebay as I don't think the seller realised it wasn't just a no name model.

It would have been ideal today as winds were peaking at 45 mph when we were enjoying a slope session with the Phase 6, Ridge Ryder and DF Weasel Pro earlier today