Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

50 inch span Depron JU87. All covered in 50gram grp cloth and west system epoxy. Scratch build from scaled up 3 view on Wikipedia, and lots of photos.

Started out in white winter camo, didn't like it, so changed to two-tone green camo. Didn't like that so added desert camo which I quite like.

1300 grams flying weight. 35/36 900 kv motor.2200 3cell lipo.

P1070603.JPG

P1070602.JPG

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, martin collins 1 said:

Brilliant Michael, superb looking model, any build pictures you can share or more info on the structure?

Sorry I don't do build photos Martin, I am always too absorbed with the construction.

It's all 6mm Depron. The wing is built in a jig ( it's not folded but built up,) and has just one 2mm ply rib with a small block of hardwood to take the 2.5mm wheel strut. It's covered in one layer of 50 gram cloth with two layers at the wing joints. I think it might be called a stressed wing construction, and it makes very strong wings. All of my builds utilize this method, and II was at one time thinking of doing a video on YouTube but when Depron was discontinued there didn't seem much point.

21 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

Nice build Mike,  have you tried BandQ depron look alike? my 109 is clad with the 3mm and the ribs are 6mm. I have been using foamboard for the  basic construction leaving the paper on but the next build I will just use depron with balsa for support. 

I haven't tried it Eric, but will probably do so. Thing is I still have 10 full sheets of 6 mm depron which suits my method of ribless construction. Guess when I eventually run out, I will try it.

Does B&Q look alike take grp cloth and epoxy covering? I do like to cover my models. I have seen it, and it seems very pliable, whereas the original stuff is rigid, which again suits my construction system. But that's the nice thing about foam, there is lots to experiment with.

• Like 1

Ready for a test flight following conversion to Electric, i will wait to Spring when my fingers are warmer, i won`t risk this model to cold slow fingers on the sticks! 1/4 Scale Henry Haffke plan built GeeBee Model E, i bought it 7 years ago as a bare airframe which had been flown on glow, it has been a Hanger Queen since then and i had intended not to fly it as it is so nice but it has only been assembled up once since i bought it. So i came to the decision a couple of weeks ago to convert it to 6s Electric and fly it, hopefully if it does fly nicely i will get to see it assembled up a bit more often! Motor is an E-Flite Power 60 with a 16x10 APC E prop. Weight is just over 10 lbs and it is producing 1428 Watts, just over 140 Watts per lb, should fly well on this set up with plenty of wing area.

IMG_20231128_124040_resized_20231128_012425943.jpg

IMG_20231128_124047_resized_20231128_012424761.jpg

IMG_20231128_124102_resized_20231128_012422766.jpg

IMG_20231128_124023_resized_20231128_012428127.jpg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Michael Barclay said:

I haven't tried it Eric, but will probably do so. Thing is I still have 10 full sheets of 6 mm depron which suits my method of ribless construction. Guess when I eventually run out, I will try it.

Does B&Q look alike take grp cloth and epoxy covering? I do like to cover my models. I have seen it, and it seems very pliable, whereas the original stuff is rigid, which again suits my construction system. But that's the nice thing about foam, there is lots to experiment with.

Hi Mike, I must try glass cloth as the pva and brown paper doesn't work so good with B and Q depron.  I had some adhesion problems covering the 109f. Foamboard is more like depron once the paper is removed but getting it off is a faff. Sarik are advertising genuine depron but I am not sure if it is.  What is your next project? 

2 hours ago, Michael Barclay said:

On 27/11/2023 at 19:00, Michael Barclay said:

Sorry I don't do build photos Martin, I am always too absorbed with the construction.

It's all 6mm Depron. The wing is built in a jig ( it's not folded but built up,) and has just one 2mm ply rib with a small block of hardwood to take the 2.5mm wheel strut. It's covered in one layer of 50 gram cloth with two layers at the wing joints. I think it might be called a stressed wing construction, and it makes very strong wings. All of my builds utilize this method, and II was at one time thinking of doing a video on YouTube but when Depron was discontinued there didn't seem much point.

I assume you don’t use a spar, just the skin to take the loads?

3 hours ago, Michael Barclay said:

Hi Michael,

Yes it does! Well, it takes glass cloth and EZkote, or now B&Q water based varnish. I'm in the middle of a 1/6th scale Mk1 spitfire build and have glass clothed the wings and tailplane so far. Certainly better than brown paper/ PVA and much easier to apply to foam. 

Mixture of black 6mm and white 3mm...

Graham

spit 4.jpg

spit 1.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Graham Davies 3 said:

Hi Michael,

Yes it does! Well, it takes glass cloth and EZkote, or now B&Q water based varnish. I'm in the middle of a 1/6th scale Mk1 spitfire build and have glass clothed the wings and tailplane so far. Certainly better than brown paper/ PVA and much easier to apply to foam. 

Mixture of black 6mm and white 3mm...

Graham

spit 4.jpg

spit 1.jpg

The 3 mm looks good and easier to bend for complex shapes but I wonder if the weight saving is lost on the extra framework needed to keep it rigid. I will get some and try it.

15 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

Hi Mike, I must try glass cloth as the pva and brown paper doesn't work so good with B and Q depron.  I had some adhesion problems covering the 109f. Foamboard is more like depron once the paper is removed but getting it off is a faff. Sarik are advertising genuine depron but I am not sure if it is.  What is your next project? 

My next build will possibly be the Grumman Duck, But it might be a while before I get on with it, as I am thinking of moving.

24 minutes ago, Michael Barclay said:

My next build will possibly be the Grumman Duck, But it might be a while before I get on with it, as I am thinking of moving.

Nice choice, there was a modeler from Austria made one in the 1980's and covered it with litho plate reproducing ever panel and rivet. 

John Scrivener I think was his name

Finished a Precedent Fly Boy off. Had a box, plan and 2 years ago, someone gave me parts to build the Hifly glider and also a fuselage, tail for a Fly Boy, but no wings. Easy wings to make, so clear the workshop and at least build it. Now finished and has a Thunder Tiger .20, as a .15 might be bit under powered, and in the picture shows the same engine/exhaust. 

Finished the same colour scheme as the Hifly, if I had built it originally in the day.

IMG_1115.JPG

• Like 7

Nothing to get too excited about. I came across an old HobbyKing Teksumo EPP flying wing kit in my shed recently. Must be around 10 years old from the days of no VAT 😉 My first thought was to sell it at our club's bring and buy session at last week's AGM. I mentioned it to a friend who convinced me to keep it and put it together. So here it is, with just the tip fins to be added. I had a spare 2826 2200KV brushless motor kicking around, but only a 25A ESC. With a 6x4 prop that should do for starters. Moving forward I propose a hot 4S setup with a 40A ESC and prop to suit. My first flying wing as it turns out.

IMG_20231209_105237576.thumb.jpg.a124b46ec9cccc74a2639fd4b74698fb.jpg

• Like 1