The most stupid/embarassing things youve done whilst flying...other than crash

Dave Hopkin

Ok, time for some laughs at other expense.....

What the dumbest/blondest/stupidest thing you have done whilst going flying?

Mine.... other than trying to make holes in mother earth with model planes is..

Packing up at the field, everything in the boot, look round to make sure everything was collected... yeo, all packed away, slam boot shut, get in car start car - nothing

Hmm "Key not found" says the display.... search pockets - no key

Then it dawns on me, key had been annoying me earlier on, so I dropped it in my flight box, guess where the flight box is..... yeo your already there..

in the boot, ok lets open the boot and get the key....

Push the open boot button "key not found" message

Arggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh its auto locked....

So (bless him) Patrick takes me 8 miles to collect spare key and back to the field..... thank god I wasnt flying on my own!!!!

Advert

True story from our club.

A chap called Bob. a few years back, had a trouser problem as his model sped down the strip during take off. At this critical moment his belt failed and trousers slid down to his ankles, much to the amusement of all present. Bob being a class act calmly took off, flew into the circuit. called landing and executed a perfect arrival before taxiing back, cutting the engine, switching off and then calmly adjusting his attire.

Sneaked off to the field one summers day while the wife was out.

Arrived and started to unpack my gear, flight box check, transmitter check, unloaded my FW190 fuselage and placed on one of the benches we have for assembly of models. Back to the car for the wing only to find I had packed the wing for my Travel Air! This is bright red and blue, so how I managed that I have no idea.

of course I had only the one model with me.

Having a number of transmitters from four 2.4GHz sources, guess...............................Good job my normal field is only ten mins drive away.

There was the to some hilarious incidence of one member who always brought his dog...............he insisted it was OK not to be restrained despite it being a damn nuisance in the pits . He changed his mind when it attempted to recover his model during Taxi out and took the tailplane and rudder off.

I have told this in the past. I claim to be the only person who has ever shot themselves down without even holding a transmitter.

I was flying a vintage model and passed the tranny over to a friend for a go. Another friend was going over to the cars and asked if he could bring anything back for me. I said "yes please, my other TX."

As he came back he called out "Your battery is low". I replied "No,That is an RF meter. Pull the aerial out and the needle goes up." "Oh, you are right." He replies."

My other friend calls out in desparation. "I've lost it!"

Oh - so many to choose from!

I'll go for this - as its my worst...

When building I am a devil for "trying it together to see how it looks" - it sort of encourages me to make progress! So a big milestone of course is the first time it stands on its own legs! Mmmm. So I do that.

The day of the maiden comes - I line it up - all proud of how it looks. Open the throttle, a tad of rudder, she's running nice and straight, keep opening the throttle, up she goes,......and just then both wheels neatly come off and fall to the ground in a beautifully designed cascade!

Yeap - I'd put the wheels on to "see how she looked on her own pins", didn't bother fully tightening the collets and never looked at them again. All was fine wasn't it? I mean the wheels were on, the collets were there, the set-screw was obviously done-up - wasn't it? Doh!

It was a very interesting landing! embarrassed

BEB

having flown my Cub i wasn't happy with its performance so landed and removed prop and cowling to make some minor tweaks to carb. Much happier, i reassembled model and took off ( wondering why it took a much longer run to get up) I flew a few circuits thinking that while the engine pick up was much better and crisper, the model just didn't respond. i gave it a minute or two and decided to land to investigate ....to find i had refitted prop back to front ....DOH ! despite the ribbing from clubmates i still insisted it takes a good pilot to fly a model when the fan is back to front

I turn up at the field. Assemble the plane. Check the charge of batteries...so far so good. GREAT

Check the controls on pre-flight routine...damn, something's wrong. So spend the next 30/40 mins checking and changing the end points and throws, ( can you guess yet!)

Yep, you're right! wrong model selected secret embarrassed

More than once I have left my Tx behind, I have also taken a car full of electric models to the field and left the batteries at home DOH!

A friend was driving to the field and when stopped at lights the chap in the car said there was something on the roof of my friends car - it was his transmitter!

Packing up at the end of the day, loading the van. Just slide the wing under the van while I put the rest of the gear in, ( your ahead of me ) two fuzzies, two wings ? tranny, flight box all good to go, chat chat , bye bye. jump in ,reverse the van out. what was that ??blush

Edited By gillyg1 on 02/01/2015 20:23:00

A few over the years but this is prob the worst ( and the best in some way )

It was a foggy and dank sort of day, but the test flight of the Borjet Maja had to be done. The model is a hand launcher, and I'm a mode1 pilot so usual MO is to hold tx in left hand ( thumb ready on elevator ) and open throttle with chin or other appendage. My hands are cold, wet, and slippery but I get the beast aloft and start my short launch run. Whoosh...... off goes the model, and in perfect synch.... so does the Tx ! Slipped right outta my hand and projected itself a few feet forward and straight down into the wet grass. I see that the model is flying pretty straight and almost level.... slight dropping of altitude. I run forward ( amidst the sounds of laughter from the pits ) pick up the wet Tx, re-sight the model, and gain control just in time..... as it was about 4 feet off terra firma.

At least the laughter turned to clapping as I realigned for a continued perfect climb out and then completed the whole flight without incident.

Its still on U tube somewhere, but not that first flight - I got someone to launch for me on the next flight LOL

Not me, but I was involved...

Ever had one of those days? A friend brought a model along which he hadn't flown for a while, perfect day and he was really looking forward to flying it.

After a while, we became aware that all was not well. One of the wing fixing bolts had gone AWOL. "Damn - really looking forward to flying it today." A search in various cars eventually found one,

We left him to his preparations.

Eventually we realised he didn't seem to be getting any nearer flying. There were no ailerons. "Thanks for your help lads - but it doesn't look like I'll be flying today after all." Some diagnostics revealed a faulty extension lead and a search in various cars eventually found one.

Some time later, we became aware that there was a lot of fiddling and very little noise from the start-up area. The engine was refusing to start. "You've done your best boys, doesn't look like it's going to happen." A dodgy plug was diagnosed and a search in various cars eventually found one.

The engine started but wouldn't run nose up. "Don't worry lads, I'll take it home and sort it there"..."Nonsense, we've come this far, lets whip the tank out and check the plumbing". The tank was upside down..."Oh yes, I thought I should check the pipes so I took the tank out last week..."

The tank was re-installed corrrectly and the owner thanked everyone effusively who'd helped him, found bits or made various (constructive) suggestions..

Nose up OK, radio checks done, the model was carried out for him. He stood astride the model, a last power check seemed good - just check the controls again...took a step back...and trod on the tail...

Now we're generally pretty sympathetic when someone damages a model but a combination of the look on his face and the situation reduced the assembled company to helpless quivering wrecks. You've heard the expression "paralysed with laughter"? Well (and I wasn't the only one) I sunk to my knees unable to speak, move, or even laugh out loud properly - tears of laughter cascading down my cheeks...

Having converted my FF9 to Frsky had got into a certain routine ready for flying. Assembled model, got distracted then continued, checked all surfaces were going in the direction they should, started engine, out onto strip full power check and controls checked again took off nice gentle bank to left and started gaining height when it all went t up. Totalled my model after my "Danny moment" looking down at my tx , no aerial.blush

I've posted this story elsewhere on the forum, so I suppose I'm being pretty stupid airing it again! Oh well, here goes. I took my Orion-E 3 channel glider down to the field. Went through the normal preparation, though must have had my mind on something else. Model assembled, pre-flight checks showed elevator and rudder working OK. Opened the throttle and lobbed it into the air left-handed, it's useful being ambidextrous, and it flew like a pig, wallowing and porpoising all over the sky. I managed to get it down in one piece (just) and careful scrutiny revealed one tiny error. I'd put the wings on back to front!

Posted by Phil Brooks on 02/01/2015 22:24:22:

I've posted this story elsewhere on the forum, so I suppose I'm being pretty stupid airing it again! Oh well, here goes. I took my Orion-E 3 channel glider down to the field. Went through the normal preparation, though must have had my mind on something else. Model assembled, pre-flight checks showed elevator and rudder working OK. Opened the throttle and lobbed it into the air left-handed, it's useful being ambidextrous, and it flew like a pig, wallowing and porpoising all over the sky. I managed to get it down in one piece (just) and careful scrutiny revealed one tiny error. I'd put the wings on back to front!

oops teeth 2 good job landing it though

John