Windows 10 - Any Advice

Neil67

I've upgraded my main PC this evening from 7 Pro to 10 Pro. I got bored waiting for the official notification so just used the upgrade tool - I believe that's where Gavin's link above points to.

I've only used Windows 8 a few times on other people's PC's, and always found it an intensely frustrating experience - I could never find anything... At least 10 is much more like 7. I think 8 (and 8.1) will go down in the pages of history as something best quietly forgotten - like Vista!

I've got 10 downloading (slowly) onto my ancient laptop at the moment. It could take all night...

No problems yet...(fingers crossed smiley anyone?) after 24 hours (upgraded last night) although I was out all afternoon/evening at the field. I went against my normal philosophy of letting others debug a new release as my newish laptop has always seemed slow on 8.1 - with several niggles, all info is backed up in at least 2 other places and I felt adventurous!

I didn't get the update notification until I rebooted - I normally run for an extended period and let it sleep between sessions until things start to slow noticeably...

Edited By Martin Harris on 31/07/2015 00:41:33

Loaded Win 10 on an old laptop running Win 8.1, it took just under 2 hours. Prior to the upgrade the laptop was sluggish now it appears to be a bit quicker. The upgrade was painless and my desktop, programmes and devices are all working no tweaks required, even my old Epsom ink-jet printer scanner works. Early days yet and I intend to run with the old machine before upgrading my other machine.

I am not much cop on PC`s etc and after moving from XP pro windows 7 promised never to upgrade again. Still cant get used to 7, the most annoying thing for me is not being able to have multiple windows opened like xp did. probably a trick to do it but I never found it,plus lots of other things to many to mention. used a friends lap top the other day for 10 mins with windows8,no thanks. For me and home use XP was king

Multiple windows is what Windows is for On 7, if you hover the mouse over an icon on the tray, you can see the current open windows for that program. Most (if not, all) MS programs will let you then right-click and spawn another window too, or it even remembers the most used files (or addresses in the case of an internet browser), so you can click and go straight to it.

You can pin your most used programs to the tray, and also then pin your must-used documents to the pop up menu from that icon.

7 really is leaps and bounds ahead of XP in the way it handles open windows. If you have trouble swapping between open windows, then you can always "alt-tab", or even "windows key-tab".

If you'd like some screenshots of how that all works, let me know.

I have ad a similar experience. I put it on my laptop first to check it out as my desktop has a million things to reinstall if I decide I don't like it. The laptop has very little so a wipe and start over would not have been a big problem.

Anyway it installed itself, somewhat slowly, but it got there and everything seems to work just fine. The screen gadgets are gone which is a little annoying but I can live with it. The new windows picture viewer is a great improvement and now has an in built photo editor which is pretty good. Clearly it wont be worrying the likes of photoshop, but for what it is I found it quite capable and enough for most 'casual' photo editors.

Beyond that my oldish laptop (its a netbook actually) with its teeny weeny intel Atom 1.6ghz cpu is, I think, a touch faster and dosent get stuck for ages like it used to with 7.

My only grumble so far is that for some reason I cannot pin an internet tab (to make it into a direct link) to the task bar when using edge where as I can with internet explorer. Idont know why they would have removed that function. I can only pin it to the start menu and that is of no use whatsoever.

Oh, one final thing....I know im getting older now as the word 'app' winds me up. Everything is an app now..what was wrong with the word 'program'? Its stupid I know, but for some reason calling everything an app just really irks me!

Jon, strictly speaking they are programs, but in my world the things you run day to day such as web browsers are mostly applications, as distinct from system (eg Windows, Z/OS) or utility (eg compiler, FileManager) programs. As such the 'app' is a utility to register for the upgrade, and I also hate 'app' - it's an APPLICATION m8teeth 2.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 31/07/2015 14:07:16

Hi Craig

Tried again today - stuck on "working on it" screen. Will certainly have a look at direct link highlighted by Gavin (once I find a blank memory stick or DVD).

My windows 7 works very well so not sure why the download is a problem. Fortunately time is not an issue.

Neil

Andy, could you explain what you said about dual booting - in relation to obtaining Win 10 on a Vista m/c ( That's my problem a perfectly good Win 7 m/c and a good spec Vista m/c that is hopeless and could do with Win 10. Why should we pay to replace a duff Vista system! )

Well, it doesn't work on my computer, using W7. When the icon appeared on the taskbar, I clicked it, found the menu on the left, and ran the scan. It said my computer could run W10. Over the following weeks I checked again several times and it said the same. Came d/load day, I clicked the icon, got a "please wait" message, and was then told my comp. was not able to use W10! Because something to do with the display was not compatible. So why was this not discovered by the scans?

So much for if you have W7 you can get 10.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 31/07/2015 14:04:06:

Jon, strictly speaking they are programs, but in my world the things you run day to day such as web browsers are mostly applications, as distinct from system (eg Windows, Z/OS) or utility (eg compiler, FileManager) programs. As such the 'app' is a utility to register for the upgrade, and I also hate 'app' - it's an APPLICATION m8teeth 2.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 31/07/2015 14:07:16

I know what they mean, its just the forced 'jump on the band wagon' use of app. iphones have apps, everyone else is just copying!

That said, I still dislike app on any device...and dislike anything i as well.....yes, you guessed it, im a grumpy so and so

Posted by DH 82A on 31/07/2015 17:55:06:

Because something to do with the display was not compatible. So why was this not discovered by the scans?

Problems were found with Windows 10 on machines with certain Nvidia graphics cards. That's possibly why your upgrade was stopped. I believe this will be fixed soon.

Hmm, lost the use of the Start button and taskbar search box last night. Right-click on the start button brings up a menu. Mouse is working fine elsewhere but this means that, without going hunting through the Programs folder, I can't start any program which isn't already on the taskbar.

Googling returns lots of hits but so far I've only found them referring to the development versions.

Any ideas? No, reverting to 8.1 isn't a solutionsmile

Pete