2016 RCM&E Autumn Special- Free Plan Modellers Choice

Great to hear that the dogfight double idea is coming along, the combinations of Hawker Fury and/or Gloster Gladiator with the CR42 sounds good and covers two wars, the CR32 fits in with the Spanish Civil War theme as well. Can't ignore the I15 Rata either, although aesthetically it's not my favourite! Going back to monoplanes, you then can't deny the importance of the I16 either, although it looks tricky.

Although I'm not proposing it right now, another charismatic biplane subject would be the Fairey Fantome.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 19/01/2016 07:39:09

Advert

If it really has to be a biplane then......

1) Gloster Gladiator

2)Fairy Swordfish

3)Bucker Jungmann/Jungmiester....Fiat CR42

Would be the best of the bunch,I think but like I say bipes as a whole are not my bag,but those above are nice!

Anyway guys is a Hawker Fury not just a double winged Hurricane? Clearly I have no taste I know, but that's exactly what the pick a plane is about,Tony designing a plane picked by the majority.

Kind Regards to all

Stevesmiley

Daithi,

Of course your right the Hurricane is nothing more than than a monoplane Fury,but it looks so much the better for being on one wing rather than two! Good picture btw I Shall call it a Furyhurri...a Fury in a hurry to get rid of that awful draggy weighty top wing he hecheeky The resemblance to the Fury,be it an even cruder one is uncanny! Do we really need Fury in the TN stable? We're halfway there with the 62ins Hurricane already. However if it must be a biplane then the above I already mentioned would be the way to go,and not based on anything as far as I know,but I'm no expert on bipes!

One thing I will say about this pick a plane so far,apart from some there has been more imagination used this time!

Not heard Barrys Westland Whirlwind mentioned though....Shame had potential!

Steve

Edited By Steve Adams on 20/01/2016 21:00:17

Bucker Bestmann...hmm very nice Luke! Another one similar is the Messrshmitt ME 108 Taifun both gorgeously different

Thats the name of the game though mixing it up,plenty of variety....Letting our imagination run riot!!

One could argue that the Bucker Bestmann and ME 108 Taifun would make great first low wing scale models. Those Germans certainly knew how to make a good plane like us Brits in their day,didn't they?!

Happy Dayslaugh

Edited By Steve Adams on 20/01/2016 22:31:49

Edited By Steve Adams on 20/01/2016 22:35:06

Edited By Steve Adams on 20/01/2016 22:36:23

Posted by i12fly on 21/01/2016 00:11:55:

I'd love to build a Swordfish, or second choice Miles Magister.

There are no decent scale plans out there for either in a sports size -they are either too big or tiny. A TN typical size would be wonderful. just right, perfect!

I'm sure if you found a plan for either aircraft and told us what size you wanted to make it, there are plenty of people on here who could suggest what wood sizes to use and any detail changes to make (type of spar(s), wing attachment etc.). At a push, you could find a plan for a different but similar model of the same size as you want to build and use the wood sizes from that.

For me any giant scale "at or above 3 meters wing span" high wing plane that flies slow and is easy to handle in the air that can take a 35cc petrol engine or above also it should have removable wings for transport that are easy to fit and remove unlike several that have the screws to attach the wing that you can only reach by trying to get you hand inside the model via the door with the screws resting on the top and that are almost impossible to reach with a adult hand.

Can any one seriously see a giant scale model being the subject of the Autumn special.

From the publishers perspective that is a serious amount of paper for the drawing.

From the perspective of TN there would be a serious commitment required in both the materials needed to build one, the time and space are almost certainly going to be significant.

From the perspective of us punters, not many would be interested in such a size. Therefore the sales potential of bits is equally small.

From my own perspective, if inclined to build such an aircraft, I hope I would have the good sense not to use a std type radio set up. Instead adopting system duplication (oh the cost) and safe guards. The final nail in the coffin would be the issue as to where I could safely fly it. Or should that be where could it fly with some one at the controls other than me with sufficient experience and skill.

From a practical perspective, with a view to getting some models built, if a EDF were the preferred general option, a single fan unit would in my view be preferable.

We have had a Hawk from TN, which is a very popular current type of model. Again from a purely selfish standpoint, I prefer models that go fast, but not ridiculously fast, as is generally the case with modern jets.

On that basis i would like something with a decent wing area and a simple fan installation.

The most obvious aircraft that does this is the Heinkel 162, with a piggy back fan unit, or the similar Henschel 132 (which had a circular fuz, not square as has been modelled). Slightly more complicated would be a Dehavilland Venom/Vampire, again with a short duct (although many foam models available). Something which has not been modelled as a DF, i think, is the Miles Student, which again should model well. For something that does not need (or should) fly fast, would be a Lockheed U2. Or perhaps the Sipa at a larger scale than the recent plan, with a non scale outlet?

Having read all of these posts so far I am amazed at some of the suggestions. Surely a mass build is for a project which many would like, and be capable of, actually building.

The Hawes Tucano was a prime example of a simple to build model which flies well but gave inexperienced builders a lot of headaches for some reason.

A lot of people could be looking for something as a first build after graduating from an ARTF trainer so in my opinion rounded fuselage EDFs, Harrier, Concorde etc would be out of the question and failure would put them off for life.

Complex biplanes are in a world of their own and quite difficult even from a kit. A plan plus cnc parts is far removed from a kit model.

Have a look at my Mossie thread. This should be a great, well designed model at the end of the day but only a lot of experience is getting me over the pitfalls encountered, bit by bit.

TBH I don't think the Special Issue plans are aimed at first time builders. Usually due to the subject matter as they are scale plans. In that respect Tony does make a point of trying to make them as easy to build as possible, without ending up with "cartoon scale" results. I'm sure whatever is chosen will be popular and at the very least go into peoples "I'll save that for later" collection. Mine is getting pretty large !

Kevinb

Posted by Luke Lane on 20/01/2016 21:53:54:

How about a Bucker Bestmann. 72 inch, 120 four stroke. It has loads of character, hundreds of different colour schemes, looks right so it should fly right, fixed u/c and fairly straight forward to build. Now I would clear the board for this.

There already is a Bücker Bestmann in that size. It even was sold as a kit by Krick, it flew on a .40 engine. The plan should still be available if you look around.

I'd like to change my third choice again, so it is now:

1. De Havilland Hornet, about 70-80 inch electric,

2. Douglas Invader, same size

and for the biplane lovers

3. Bristol Bulldog, sized for a .40 equivalent electric

Lorenz